ebo

Ezra Brooks Straight Rye Whiskey

ebo

Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle since it was only $20.00. I find it to be simple, boring and harsh. You?

BigRich
Anyone tried this? I picked up a bottle since it was only $20.00. I find it to be simple, boring and harsh. You?

I pretty found it to be exactly the same. No Rye zing, no youthful brashness, just blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinjoe
12 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I pretty found it to be exactly the same. No Rye zing, no youthful brashness, just blah.

I had a couple of pours of this at the Beer Bourbon and BBQ festival in ATL today.  I agree, no Rye zing characteristics.  Nice drinking, as in I didn’t find anything off in it and “enjoyed” it, but it didn’t deliver anything of substance that I look for in a rye whiskey.  

PaulO

I passed on this the other day.  It's distilled and aged in Indiana.  I hesitated because it's only aged two years, and only 90 proof.  I've learned that some MGP rye can be tasty at 2 years; but it better have the higher proof.

Dickel, and Bulleit are OK at 90 proof; but they are aged at least 4 years.

GaryT

Same as others - boooooring, lacks character, disappointing.  I don't expect my doors to be blown off for $20, but I guess the Ezra name gave me more hope.  For under $20, their 7yr 101 bourbon is pretty solid.

• I like it 1

ebo

Yea, I saw the Ezra name, and thought it might be an inexpensive gem. Not so much...lol.

lcpfratn
Same as others - boooooring, lacks character, disappointing.  I don't expect my doors to be blown off for $20, but I guess the Ezra name gave me more hope.  For under $20, their 7yr 101 bourbon is pretty solid.

The Old Ezra 7yr 101 isn’t readily available in my area, and costs around $30 in some stores, but I’ve found a few places that have it for the low $20 price range. At less than $25, I’m a buyer every time my open bottle starts to get low. I wish the Virgin 101 7yr was available in my area. It’s cheaper than Old Ezra where it’s sold, and just about as good. Sorry for getting off topic, but really like the Old Ezra after buying my first bottle this past year.

• I like it 2

ethangsmith

I saw this stuff a few weeks ago too. Picked up the bottle and saw it was 2 years old and distilled in Indiana. Put it right back on the shelf.