The Improved Whiskey Cocktail

AdOrAdam
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, I've had a slow learning experience but it's been worthwhile!

Somewhere in the past when first trying whiskey cocktails (like 2011), I tried the Old Fashioned, Improved Whiskey Cocktail & the Sazerac. I discounted the Improved Whiskey Cocktail because the flavours of maraschino & absinthe clashed slightly for me.

I later discovered the Improved Vermouth Cocktail (basically vermouth with bitters, maraschino & curacao). I liked that so bottled some maraschino & curaçao together. At the time I didn't but much later I reached for this bottle of maraschino & curaçao to make an Improved Whiskey Cocktail to see if my tastes had changed (I forgot the absinthe was used in the original spec)... bingo, a new favourite drink.

I googled 'Improved Whiskey Cocktail' & read a bit about it - surprisingly I didn't find any other variations beyond the original. I retried the original maraschino & absinthe pairing (with Herbsaint) - not to my taste still, I wanted it slightly sweeter. I swapped out the maraschino for Benedictine - nice combo, I'll keep that one in rotation a bit too.

As they say, what was old is now new again. I have a 'new' favourite drink format to play with, the Improved Whiskey Cocktail:

2oz of whiskey
A barspoon of sugar syrup
2+ dashes of bitters
2+ dashes of liquor A
2+ dashes of liquor B
Stir & strain over fresh ice
Express a citrus peel over the drink & pop it in

I have found that I like:

- Rye, Bokers bitters, maraschino, curaçao, lemon peel
- Rye, Angostura bitters, Benedictine, Herbsaint, lemon peel

Aside from recommending trying these to you all, I wondered what combinations other people might recommend?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.