Peerless Rye

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Pikesville's MSRP is at $50 and they have cheaper bottles, cheaper corks, it's proofed down a bit, they're doing sour mash, and they run at a much bigger scale.  It's hard to imagine Peerless could ever get their production costs down to compete with Heaven Hill, so I wouldn't expect their prices to get down there either.

Then Peerless is at risk of failure in the long run. It takes a rather abnormal (and extremely impulsive) whiskey market (such as we are in now) for people to pay Peerless prices for the youth of their product.

Once there is a flood of 10yr+ cask strength rye on the market for 60 bucks or less, I just don't know how Peerless will be able to justify what they're presently doing.

The novelty of the "Kentucky Owl approach" only goes so far, and even then only at the peak of the market.

• I like it 2

On 10/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, The Black Tot said:

Then Peerless is at risk of failure in the long run. It takes a rather abnormal (and extremely impulsive) whiskey market (such as we are in now) for people to pay Peerless prices for the youth of their product.

Once there is a flood of 10yr+ cask strength rye on the market for 60 bucks or less, I just don't know how Peerless will be able to justify what they're presently doing.

The novelty of the "Kentucky Owl approach" only goes so far, and even then only at the peak of the market.

Yup. The only way Peerless' pricing holds up or makes any sense whatsoever is if there is magical, exponential growth in the market. 

And oh yeah, Willett, New Riff and Wilderness Trail have high quality, barrel proof, 4 year old ryes out on the market for about $50-60. Wilderness Trail with a sweet mash rye at that. How much extra can they expect people to pay for the stupid bottle?

• I like it 1

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, The Black Tot said:

In the long run,  Peerless needs to secure repeat business.   After reading so much about them I was finally tempted to spring for a bottle now that it's aged for three years..   And, lo and behold, it's very good.    But the price will be a deterrent as to whether I buy another bottle.    Given the quality, which is evident,  and the uniqueness of their method,   I think they can succeed in garnering repeat business at $60 -70 a bottle.   But at $100,  even fans may find it hard to justify.  

• I like it 2

One of my regular stores (which is a mid sized local chain) has just told me that they have a barrel pick of Peerless coming in. This chain does barrel picks fairly regularly, but I really worry that they will get stuck with most of this one sitting on the shelves collecting dust. I’m a rye guy, and I thought even the 2 year Peerless tasted pretty good. But the pricing is just so disjointed. The same store has Willett 4 year rye on the shelf for a lot less and I just can’t imagine many people paying almost double for Peerless. People think the rye market is so hot right now but all the Kentucky Owl bottles gathering dust certainly question the limits of that. Yes the Owl is even more expensive but it is at least 10/11 years depending on the release and delicious (I loved 1, thought 2 was still very good but slightly different profile, haven’t tried 3). This Peerless barrel pick will be amusing for me to observe how it plays out. Maybe I’ll get surprised and they’ll be able to sell through it, as they will split it across multiple locations. 

On 10/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, BottledInBond said:

One of my regular stores (which is a mid sized local chain) has just told me that they have a barrel pick of Peerless coming in. This chain does barrel picks fairly regularly, but I really worry that they will get stuck with most of this one sitting on the shelves collecting dust. I’m a rye guy, and I thought even the 2 year Peerless tasted pretty good. But the pricing is just so disjointed. The same store has Willett 4 year rye on the shelf for a lot less and I just can’t imagine many people paying almost double for Peerless. People think the rye market is so hot right now but all the Kentucky Owl bottles gathering dust certainly question the limits of that. Yes the Owl is even more expensive but it is at least 10/11 years depending on the release and delicious (I loved 1, thought 2 was still very good but slightly different profile, haven’t tried 3). This Peerless barrel pick will be amusing for me to observe how it plays out. Maybe I’ll get surprised and they’ll be able to sell through it, as they will split it across multiple locations. 

If you plan on living at least 5 more years, hang back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.