Jump to content

Rye Talk (2018) Purchases-Enjoyment


bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

On 10/19/2018 at 6:34 AM, beasled said:

Good week so far.

 

image.thumb.png.1a52f20ab6afcfc17eceb316cf94c3df.png

So jealous!

That Lot 40 is absolutely fantastic.  Has a nose that's delightfully different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • kevinbrink

    25

  • 0895

    21

  • Clueby

    9

  • beasled

    8

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish they would've had multiple bottles. 

Kentucky Owl 11 this evening. Really liking this! 

Not really in the market for anything today but not going to pass on this:    

Posted Images

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

So jealous!

That Lot 40 is absolutely fantastic.  Has a nose that's delightfully different.

I've been reacquainting myself with the standard Lot 40 which for the price and proof is a decent sipper. Looking forward to comparing the two!

Link to post
Share on other sites
BottledInBond

So, I am generally pretty negative on Whistle Pig, for a variety of reasons. But I was out and stopped into a place where I know the liquor guy and respect his knowledge. He had gotten two WP barrel picks and said I should try them both. So he poured me samples and I was really impressed with both. One was an MGP barrel, and the other was the Canadian. They were both very good, totally different profiles, and different proofs. I’m a sucker for aged MGP rye so bought one of those, $88. They also had a HWDR finished for a year in a Moscatel barrel. Normally I only use DR in cocktails as I think the young component shows a little harshness but the extra finishing on this one really rounded off some of those rough edges and it was nice neat. Grabbed one at $47. And grabbed a HWMWND for $90 because why not? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

So, I am generally pretty negative on Whistle Pig, for a variety of reasons. But I was out and stopped into a place where I know the liquor guy and respect his knowledge. He had gotten two WP barrel picks and said I should try them both. So he poured me samples and I was really impressed with both. One was an MGP barrel, and the other was the Canadian. They were both very good, totally different profiles, and different proofs. I’m a sucker for aged MGP rye so bought one of those, $88. They also had a HWDR finished for a year in a Moscatel barrel. Normally I only use DR in cocktails as I think the young component shows a little harshness but the extra finishing on this one really rounded off some of those rough edges and it was nice neat. Grabbed one at $47. And grabbed a HWMWND for $90 because why not? 

Can't have too many of these around!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m diving into a recent purchase of a store select 13 yr old WhistlePig in honor of Dave. A damn good whiskey from a damn cool guy. We’ll miss you Dave.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Switching it up after dinner with a Mancini Vermouth, KC CS Rye, And Fee Brothers Manhattan. Really digging this lately.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am enjoying Kentucky Owl batch 2 immensely. Maybe even more than batch 1 (though that is a distant memory now). A few bottles were available here for what seemed like well below the US retail so I picked them up. I think if the price were better this would have much better reviews. Dangerously drinkable, especially with a dissolved ice cube.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped at Binny’s as I had 15 minutes to kill before an appointment and these 3 beauties jumped in my arms and came home with me. IMG_4269.JPG

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, 0895 said:

Some Willett house distilled 4y rye tonight.... while its freaking snowing!  *sigh*

 

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

Stopped at Binny’s as I had 15 minutes to kill before an appointment and these 3 beauties jumped in my arms and came home with me. IMG_4269.JPG

I have been impressed by the 4y BP Willett. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

Stopped at Binny’s as I had 15 minutes to kill before an appointment and these 3 beauties jumped in my arms and came home with me. IMG_4269.JPG

 

On a 4 roses bar mat.  I love it!


Those are all good rye choices by the way.

If you find the Yippie a bit too overpowering w/ the wine, cut it with a little bit of regular ole $30 double rye to bump the rye spice a touch, and knock that wine finish off its high horse.

:)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished my first 2018 lot 40 cask strength, it was so delicious! I'm glad I was able to score a few more. It's perfect for the holiday season. If any of you can score it, I find it much better than 2017, and it's 58.4% now. IMG_20181112_200158.jpeg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@fishnbowljoe was generous enough to share a sample of this with me, and I'm glad I got to try it last night. I'll leave the bottles on the shelves for the rest of you all. -_-

20181113_060912.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Galvin0791 said:

@fishnbowljoe was generous enough to share a sample of this with me, and I'm glad I got to try it last night. I'll leave the bottles on the shelves for the rest of you all. -_-

 

Well, I guess I won’t be bringing that one over for Thanksgiving.  :mellow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, I guess I won’t be bringing that one over for Thanksgiving.  :mellow:

I liked it... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, I guess I won’t be bringing that one over for Thanksgiving.  :mellow:

Ehhhh, ya win some... ya lose some.

;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a WhistlePig store pick, but there is still no mention of the state/country of distillation. I was hoping to figure out if it was MGP or Canadian. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB last night. I had forgotten how good it was. Out of the ryes I've tried, it's a solid second place to High West Double Rye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
DeltaAlphaVictorEasy

Was surprised to find two bottles of old label (DSP KY1) Rittenhouse BIB staring me in the face at a store with bars on the windows somewhere in Tennessee this past weekend. Both went home with me for a little under 60 after tax. I think it has been five years since I have seen the old label on the shelf.

Edited by DeltaAlphaVictorEasy
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 3:28 PM, Galvin0791 said:

@fishnbowljoe was generous enough to share a sample of this with me, and I'm glad I got to try it last night. I'll leave the bottles on the shelves for the rest of you all. -_-

20181113_060912.jpg

You know he only shared it because he got it for about $5 on close out, right? ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.