Old Samuels Distillery, Feb. 28, 1954

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Old Samuels Distillery...Maker's Mark are one in the same.

The 50th birthday of Maker's has passed...This picture, is very historical. I have asked around to see if any of these (or simular one's) are hanging at Maker's Mark. One would hope that there is, but nobody, that I have asked has seen this in their, "public historical history files". I hope I am "wrong" and that a simular one is hanging in clear view, for all to see...

This was taken the first day they barreled "Barrel #1".

The very small man in the front row to the left is my Uncle Elmo Beam. He was the distiller there. You won't hear that in Maker's Mark "so called" "grain of salt" history files. I also note that, Uncle Elmo, has overalls on...but underneath those overalls is a white shirt and tie grin.gif

Bottom row left to right...

Elmo Beam, Tony Blair, Pat Greenwell, Ed Smith, Thomas Cambron Robert Mullins, Ted Shockenesy, Back row, left to right, Lee Kelty, unknown, Billy Fenwick, Top row, J.B. O'Daniel, Ed Medley, unknown, Raymond Osborne.

Ed Medley...He was warehouse surperintendent at the time of this picture. He was the "First" employee that Bill Samuels Sr. hired. Bill Sr. specifically mentions Ed as the First employee. He also tells that Ed Medly, practically put the entire "distillery" back to operational again. He was a man of many trades. Another "name" lost in history.

He died a Maker's Mark (heart attack). I work with one of his daughters. I always wondered, why she prefer's Maker's over Heaven Hill. He left 14 children behind. His name is on the very first bottle of Maker's produced. A great man in the "History of Bourbon", lost to early.

Carmel, gave this picture to me. She got it from her mom. Her mom, has some stories to tell, and I'm gonna tell em here grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811426018_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have asked around to see if any of these (or simular one's) are hanging at Maker's Mark. One would hope that there is, but nobody, that I have asked has seen this in their, "public historical history files".

I asked lots of folks if the historical pictures were hanging as my quote states. They were not...

Maker's Mark hosted a Ambassador party, in Loretto, last Saturday. A few on this forum were there. I asked some good friends, who were attending this event, to let me know if they see any old pictures.

"Word" (through the grapevine) was sent to me that they were searching high and low for all the old pictures and any artifacts of the days gone by in the history of Maker's Mark.

Low and Behold blush.gif...I was touched wink.gif Saturday during the Maker's Mark Ambassador's picnic, my friends took the tour. There were pictures hanging in rows. The tour guide didn't know that her guest were friends of mine. When she got to the picture of the group that barreled the first barrel (the one I posted earlier in this thread)...The tour guide, pointed directly at my Uncle Elmo and told everyone in the group, who he was grin.gif Made me proud grin.gif Someone listened, and I am thankful grin.gif

Here is a picture of Carmel's daddy Ed Medley. He was the very first employee that Bill Samuels Sr. hired. He is standing beside barrel #1.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811439118_thumb.jpg

Barrel #1 and the first employee! That's a pretty slick photo!

You always come through! toast.gif

If I am remembering correctly Elmo Beam was the Beam who worked at the A. Ph. Stitzel Distillery on Story Ave. during the late 20's - early 30's. I also believe that this is the time that the wheat recipe was developed for Stitzel-Weller. He could very well have been one of the people who developed the recipe, thus a very important part of creating the new "Maker's Mark" recipe. I have no proof but the circumstancial evidence all points to the wheat recipe being developed in the late 20's and early 30's as a whiskey that would age well and age fast. I would also say that Elmo Beam was probably the moving force behind creating the recipe since he was the distiller.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.