Bob Dylan coming out with a Bourbon?

musekatcher
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Clay Risen reviewed these in the NYT. Said the bourbon was decent, the double barrel not so much, and that the rye tasted like MGP.

Easy pass for me.

Beautiful packaging though.

Not excited about the "celebrity tax" on this offering.  Wouldn't mind trying it though.  

I love Bob Dylan. I truly doubt I’ll sver buy anything from this brand though. Stupid. What’s next Trump Bourbon? Oh wait there was already a Trump Vodka.......

• I like it 2

On 5/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, BottledInBond said:

I love Bob Dylan. I truly doubt I’ll sver buy anything from this brand though. Stupid. What’s next Trump Bourbon? Oh wait there was already a Trump Vodka.......

At least Dylan drinks.....

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...

Easy pass for me. "Celebrity tax". How appropos! I like that term. 

Also on a side note from the article they "decided to form a distillery"

How I wish you couldn't call something a "distillery" unless you were f@#&ing distilling something.

• I like it 6

I do understand the point of view that having celebrities involved in a product like this (or WT Longbranch as another recent example) is an excuse to inflate prices.  But, I enjoy novelty in my bourbon-drinking hobby, and the price on this one wasn't high enough to discourage me from indulging my whimsy.  Besides, my wife loves the bottle  -- Ha!

I just got this today, and I'll probably crack it open this evening or tomorrow to try it out.  I will report my impressions then.  Hopefully the bourbon is decent and I can enjoy a couple of pours listening to some good music.  Gee, I wonder what music I should play...

Heaven's Door 1.jpg

Heaven's Door 2.jpg

• I like it 1

The bottle is definitely pretty cool, and the pricing isn’t as bad as some of the new “Distilleries” that have released products in the last few years. It’s still overpriced, but we’ve all seen worse. It’s been showing up in quite a few stores in my area lately, but I’ve not felt the desire to buy a bottle...bourbon zen maybe.

OK, I cracked my bottle of this a little while ago to give it a first go-around.  Below are my impressions.

First of all, the bottle itself is gorgeous.  This will look good on a liquor shelf or as a gift bottle.  I poured 2 oz. neat into a Glencairn glass and let it sit for around 5 minutes before tasting.  The whiskey is an attractive honey color, less coppery-looking than it appears in the bottle.  I don't normally notice "legs" in a poured glass of whiskey, but this time I did notice thick, viscous legs on my glass as I swirled it.

I was frankly surprised at my first inhalation from the glass.  It was quite sweet-smelling.  I even had the impression of wheat!  (The information on this bourbon that I could find does not include a complete mashbill.  The only info available is that it is 70% corn and the rest "small grains", so I have no idea what grains are actually in the bottle.)  In addition to traditional, though muted, caramel/vanilla aromas, I got a pronounced "cake icing" type sweet aroma.  (One online review I read earlier referred to a buttercream aroma from this bourbon.  I guess that's what I mean by cake icing.)  Some alcohol comes through on the nose, but it's not intense.  I also didn't get much oakiness.  (The bourbon is 90 proof and 6 1/2 years old.)

The taste was consistent with the smell.  It was pleasant enough, but not very complex.  I did think that it had a nice mouthfeel, as it coated the mouth and tongue well.  Overall, I'd call it easy-drinking, but not terribly interesting.  As for the finish, the flavor stays around in the mouth for a good period of time, but there's not much of a noticeable presence in the throat or chest after swallowing.  Some nice warmth in the mouth, but not on the swallow.

(A few minutes after writing the above, I put a small cube in the remainder of the pour and tried it again after a few minutes.  The sweetness in the nose was somewhat muted by the melting cube, but the taste was mainly unchanged.  Overall, not improved, as the mouthfeel was thinner and the finish was even shorter.)

My overall impression is that this is decent stuff, though not particularly memorable.  I plan on setting this aside and trying it again in a few weeks to see if my impressions change.  Whether it is worth the $50 retail is, of course, up the the wallet of the beholder.  As of this first impression, I'd say that there are several other bourbons in this price range (and below) that I prefer to this.  Still, I don't regret the purchase.  It looks damn good on the shelf and let me scratch an itch!

Heaven's_Door_3.jpg

• I like it 1

On 5/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, Swamp55 said:

OK, I cracked my bottle of this a little while ago to give it a first go-around.  Below are my impressions.

First of all, the bottle itself is gorgeous.  This will look good on a liquor shelf or as a gift bottle.  I poured 2 oz. neat into a Glencairn glass and let it sit for around 5 minutes before tasting.  The whiskey is an attractive honey color, less coppery-looking than it appears in the bottle.  I don't normally notice "legs" in a poured glass of whiskey, but this time I did notice thick, viscous legs on my glass as I swirled it.

I was frankly surprised at my first inhalation from the glass.  It was quite sweet-smelling.  I even had the impression of wheat!  (The information on this bourbon that I could find does not include a complete mashbill.  The only info available is that it is 70% corn and the rest "small grains", so I have no idea what grains are actually in the bottle.)  In addition to traditional, though muted, caramel/vanilla aromas, I got a pronounced "cake icing" type sweet aroma.  (One online review I read earlier referred to a buttercream aroma from this bourbon.  I guess that's what I mean by cake icing.)  Some alcohol comes through on the nose, but it's not intense.  I also didn't get much oakiness.  (The bourbon is 90 proof and 6 1/2 years old.)

The taste was consistent with the smell.  It was pleasant enough, but not very complex.  I did think that it had a nice mouthfeel, as it coated the mouth and tongue well.  Overall, I'd call it easy-drinking, but not terribly interesting.  As for the finish, the flavor stays around in the mouth for a good period of time, but there's not much of a noticeable presence in the throat or chest after swallowing.  Some nice warmth in the mouth, but not on the swallow.

(A few minutes after writing the above, I put a small cube in the remainder of the pour and tried it again after a few minutes.  The sweetness in the nose was somewhat muted by the melting cube, but the taste was mainly unchanged.  Overall, not improved, as the mouthfeel was thinner and the finish was even shorter.)

My overall impression is that this is decent stuff, though not particularly memorable.  I plan on setting this aside and trying it again in a few weeks to see if my impressions change.  Whether it is worth the $50 retail is, of course, up the the wallet of the beholder.  As of this first impression, I'd say that there are several other bourbons in this price range (and below) that I prefer to this.  Still, I don't regret the purchase.  It looks damn good on the shelf and let me scratch an itch!

Heaven's_Door_3.jpg

That is a pretty cool bottle.  I don't recall the provenance of this bourbon.  Does anyone know the distiller?

3 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Saw the rye for $75 and up today. Why so much higher?

Generally, rye (the grain) is more expensive, and, it’s harder to distill. 

18 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Saw the rye for $75 and up today. Why so much higher?

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Generally, rye (the grain) is more expensive, and, it’s harder to distill. 

A spokesman for the company said on WhiskeyCast that the biggest expense was the secondary casks they used which are French Cigar Casks (named becasue of the shape not the former contents) have heard a few reliable sources that the finishing brings something new (and enjoyable) to the table that differentiates it from other MGP Rye.

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

That is a pretty cool bottle.  I don't recall the provenance of this bourbon.  Does anyone know the distiller?

Tennessee is the source for the Bourbon and American Whiskey (Dickel most likely) and MGP on the rye.

I heard a rumor that this stuff is left over Old Whiskey River. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I heard a rumor that this stuff is left over Old Whiskey River. ^_^

Biba! Joe

That stuff was not particularly good.

I'm a Dylan fan and the bottle looks cool.  Ive wasted $50 on worse purchases.

Cool bottle but if I'm gambling $50, I'll put that money on the SA Big Level wheater

4 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Cool bottle but if I'm gambling $50, I'll put that money on the SA Big Level wheater

I'll skip both.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.