Bourbon in Poland?

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I will be traveling to Poland this summer with the wife.  We will be in Warsaw, G'dansk, Wroclaw, and Krakow from June 24-July4.  Staying pretty much in the center of each city.  Looking for any advice on bourbons to look for and/or specific retailers worth checking out.   Anything that is not available stateside such as Blanton's Gold and Straight From the Barrel and Age Stated Turkey are high on my list.  Any other recommendations welcome.  

Oh also, any SB's living in or close by those cities who are looking for readily available stateside bottles shoot me a PM and we will see if the logistics work out!  Thanks!

• I like it 1

I've never been to Poland so can't help you there. Be sure to shop duty free on you way back though. They have offerings that are available only in Travel Retail and Duty Free. Particularly on Bourbons you will find some that have different proofs than are available here.

Good thought on Duty Free. We are flying non-stop which I believe means I do not need to worry about moving purchases into checked luggage once in the States. 

Thanks for the Website! Yes expensive on the rare stuff, but I’d be ok with those proces fot SFTB and Blanton’s Gold.  

What is the Wild Turkey Master Distiller 13 year? Anyone have thoughts/opinions? On that site it is much cheaper than the WT12 or 8 year...

13 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Good thought on Duty Free. We are flying non-stop which I believe means I do not need to worry about moving purchases into checked luggage once in the States. 

Thanks for the Website! Yes expensive on the rare stuff, but I’d be ok with those proces fot SFTB and Blanton’s Gold.  

What is the Wild Turkey Master Distiller 13 year? Anyone have thoughts/opinions? On that site it is much cheaper than the WT12 or 8 year...

It is 91 proof and is basically the replacement for the 101 12 year export bottle, I have one at home that came from @beasled I like it, easy drinker with some character think Eagle Rare maybe but obviously the profile is different. 

• I like it 1

On 5/4/2018 at 9:18 AM, kevinbrink said:

It is 91 proof and is basically the replacement for the 101 12 year export bottle, I have one at home that came from @beasled I like it, easy drinker with some character think Eagle Rare maybe but obviously the profile is different. 

Thanks Kevin.

• I like it 1

Circa 2016 (when an article I read was written) a Polish distiller released a Whiskey--not a bourbon of course. I can't remember the names but they were in Polish anyways. Many European countries have Whiskey offerings now too so if you're not purely looking for bourbon then you might be able to find some of those. 

Knowing literally nothing about Poland one thing that comes to mind would be visiting Kozuba and Sons, not bourbon but they do make rye there.

Oh man! Looks like I am going to have some full bags on the way home.  I promised a friend to mule BSFTB and Gold for him and, of course, need the same for me so already close to the 6 bottle checked luggage limit.  Plus some age stated WT would be really cool.  Space may be an issue.  Good problems to have though!  

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.  

On 5/13/2018 at 7:18 PM, JoeTerp said:

Might be a good reason to check two bags.

I figure I will be able to squeeze a few bottles into the wife's bag.  

New question.  Anyone know of any bars in Warsaw, G'dansk, Wroclaw, or Krakow that would have nice bourbon selections?  Full credit to the missus for asking me to inquire specifically about bars and not LS.   

I have had up to 10 bottles in a single bag and nobody seemed to care. Of course the bag was specifically made to carry just bottles. Who needs clothes???

Bob, Poland has some nice beers too.  A side note, along with all the other countries that don't like us, Poles have one of the most favorable opinions of the USA in the world.

• 5 weeks later...

Leaving tomorrow! Going to be super salty if Poland loses to Columbia and is out of the World Cup. This trip was planned on the assumption that Poland makes the round of 16.

Bourbon wise, hoping to find both Blantons SFTB and Gold. Turkey 8 and 13 Distiller Reserve. And if super lucky Turkey 12. 

On 5/23/2018 at 7:27 AM, PaulO said:

Bob, Poland has some nice beers too.  A side note, along with all the other countries that don't like us, Poles have one of the most favorable opinions of the USA in the world.

I plan on drinking many of them! Zywiecz is my current favorite. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I founds zilch during my trip!  Ducked into as many small alcohol stores as I saw.  90% of them were the equivalent of 7-11 and had basic beers and a few spirits choices.  Jack Daniels was everywhere. Krakow was the only city that had larger liquor stores and I did see a single bottle of regular Blanton's as well as some front stated EC12.  The EC was priced at approximately $55 (700ml) which was a bit high for my tastes so I passed.  Otherwise, no age stated Turkey and any 101 bottles I saw were just like the ones here.  No Blanton's Gold or SFTB ever seen.  Duty Free also was lackluster with no bottles worth purchasing.

Oh well.  All in all a great trip despite the huge strikeout.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.