Drink Bourbon like Harry Truman

dad-proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/drink-bourbon-like-harry-truman/Content?oid=12931040

Per the article:

According to his biographer, David McCullough, who won a Pulitzer for his 1992 tome, Truman, the president began most days at 5 a.m. with a shot of bourbon — Old Grand-Dad and Wild Turkey were his favorites. With his doctor's approval, Truman would enjoy an egg, a slice of toast, a slice of bacon, a glass of skim milk, and a shot of Old Grand-Dad — the latter was purportedly drunk after his morning constitutional. It "got the engine running," Truman said. 

All I can do is wonder what 40's era Old Grand-Dad (National Distillers?) and Wild Turkey (Ripy?) would taste like.  

Harry did love his bourbon.  In fact, if there is a bourbon hall of fame, he should be one of the first inductees.

Edited by kaiserhog

Interesting.  I think the generation that pre-dated the prohibition were less uptight about a slug in the morning.  The closest to that I've come, is waking up around 2-3am, and have a jigger or less as a means to get back to sleep.  I feel borderline about it, because I get up at 5am to prepare for work. 

I think a pour in the morning in and of itself is likely fine for most people.  The problem is the self control to not let that turn into 2 or 3!

Some people just have the discipline and personal response of the body to make this reasonable.  Other people might not.  I know that if I have a pour early it makes it difficult for me to really concentrate on my work enough to make my work time as productive as I need it to be.

One thing Truman didn't have to worry about was his morning commute - down the hall. Maybe next week I'll experiment with an 8am shot at the desk while I fire up the laptop. I do keep a few bottles at the office... ???? 

Anyone who's been to Heaven Hill's Bourbon Heritage Center lately may have seen this bar towel :) 

towel.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 3

13 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Anyone who's been to Heaven Hill's Bourbon Heritage Center lately may have seen this bar towel :) 

towel.jpg

Don't you have a couple of those in your kitchen?

:D:D:D

2 hours ago, Galvin0791 said:

Don't you have a couple of those in your kitchen?

:D:D:D

I figured Mrs. Vosgar would make them mysteriously disappear so I didn't even consider it

• I like it 2

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, dad-proof said:

One thing Truman didn't have to worry about was his morning commute - down the hall. Maybe next week I'll experiment with an 8am shot at the desk while I fire up the laptop. I do keep a few bottles at the office... ???? 

No, actually Truman did a brisk morning walk each day, long before he went to DC. Just saying.

I am careful about turning habits into HABITS, but sometimes I will go for the old morning sip. I have a long commute to work but I do not drive, so especially in the winter it is enticing to take a nice swig of Old Grand dad for warmth and also to fall asleep nicely on the way in. Sore throat? A nice morning gargle of half a shot or so helps a bunch. As I said though, I do not let myself get into the habit of doing this, but it can be quite helpful at times, thus I always keep a full flask in the travel backpack. It takes me quite a long time to go through those 4 or 5 ounces but it’s always nice knowing it’s there.

If I happen to fall asleep on a weekend night with some whiskey left in my glass on the night table, I’ll sip it when I wake up. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how good it tastes with a somewhat rested palate in the morning. 

Old Grand Dad in the time would have almost certainly been bottled in bond.  Wild Turkey was 101 proof then.  I am sure the whiskey has changed over the years.  I thought Beam kept using the same recipe/formula that National Distillers had.  Even so, the whiskey has almost certainly changed somewhat.  One thing though, Ole Harry liked em strong.  Give'em Hell Harry!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.