Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Postal Grunt

JD's master distiller came to Kansas City

Recommended Posts

Postal Grunt
Posted (edited)

Jeff Arnett, master distiller for Jack Daniels, was the spokesman at a tasting event tonight on the north side of Kansas City that was co-sponsored by Gomer's Liquor Store. Gurgalunas and I were among the approximately 150 attendees that enjoyed Mr Arnett's discussion of the ways of JD and a few stories as well. He's an outstanding representative for his employer. Samples of Gentleman Jack, Old No.7, Single Barrel, JD's Rye, Barrel Proof, and Sinatra Select were provided attendees albeit in a small pour that no one would be wobbling on their way out the door. Afterwards, Mr Arnett spent about an hour, signing bottles and thanking everybody who waited patiently in line.

 

Don't turn down an opportunity to try their barrel proof release. It won't put hair on your chest or back on an already bald head but it will put a smile on your face.

 

 

Edited by Postal Grunt
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher

I can't bring myself to buy JD products since they dropped No. 7 to 80 proof.  That, and the pricing just doesn't agree with me.  But, I'd enjoy being gifted a fifth of the barrel proof, or single barrel.  Another thread peaked my curiosity on these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postal Grunt
10 hours ago, musekatcher said:

I can't bring myself to buy JD products since they dropped No. 7 to 80 proof.  That, and the pricing just doesn't agree with me.  But, I'd enjoy being gifted a fifth of the barrel proof, or single barrel.  Another thread peaked my curiosity on these.

That drop to 80 proof was way back in 1987. If you buy a bottle of the single barrel or barrel proof, no one has to know but you. If you get some as a gift,then you must have really fine friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher
5 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

That drop to 80 proof was way back in 1987. If you buy a bottle of the single barrel or barrel proof, no one has to know but you. If you get some as a gift,then you must have really fine friends.

Yes, last bottle I bought was while I was college.  I'll hint to the fam ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof
1 hour ago, musekatcher said:

Yes, last bottle I bought was while I was college.  I'll hint to the fam ;)

Damn, and I thought my wife could hold a grudge. 

????

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

I find that every major distiller has brands that interest me, and others that don't.

P.S. The JD Rye was a pleasant surprise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Postal Grunt
3 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Damn, and I thought my wife could hold a grudge. 

????

Some people hold a grudge and others carry them around in a bucket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher
12 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Damn, and I thought my wife could hold a grudge. 

????

 Its not a grudge, its a loss of interest in favor of something more interesting.  I found [by force] a lot more interesting whiskey at higher proofs and less $$, and since JD never addressed either, they never regained my interest.  Otherwise, I'd probably still be consuming it, never even trying anything else.  Same with NFL.  I'd still be watching it Sunday's if I felt welcomed.  I found [by force] something better to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof
4 hours ago, musekatcher said:

 Its not a grudge, its a loss of interest in favor of something more interesting.  I found [by force] a lot more interesting whiskey at higher proofs and less $$, and since JD never addressed either, they never regained my interest.  Otherwise, I'd probably still be consuming it, never even trying anything else.  Same with NFL.  I'd still be watching it Sunday's if I felt welcomed.  I found [by force] something better to do. 

I was joking, and I haven't bought a bottle of JD No. 7 since college either, but hasn't influenced my ability to buy other JD products.  I have enjoyed the JD Barrel Proof and thought it worth every penny, but I'm a slow sipper. Interests and value propositions do change our habits, though I've never thought to use the word forced... Maybe influenced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
On 6/9/2018 at 6:47 AM, musekatcher said:

 Its not a grudge, its a loss of interest in favor of something more interesting.  I found [by force] a lot more interesting whiskey at higher proofs and less $$, and since JD never addressed either, they never regained my interest.  Otherwise, I'd probably still be consuming it, never even trying anything else.  Same with NFL.  I'd still be watching it Sunday's if I felt welcomed.  I found [by force] something better to do. 

If you are looking for interesting whiskey at a higher proof, you really need to get over 1987 and try the barrel proof. Don't wait to be gifted it as you'll kick yourself for having missed out all this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher
8 hours ago, flahute said:

If you are looking for interesting whiskey at a higher proof, you really need to get over 1987 and try the barrel proof. Don't wait to be gifted it as you'll kick yourself for having missed out all this time. 

Well, that settles it.  I really have no choice, do I?  Maybe a fathers day gift to myself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
musekatcher
Posted (edited)

Not a JD fan but curious about their barrel proof, I succumbed, and brought home a fifth of JDBP.  Surprised.  A few nights later, I compare with StaggJR - I never compare whiskeys, I finish a bottle before moving to the next.  Surprised again.  Of the barrel proofs I've had, I think its the smoothest and most flavorful. Very effective balanced whiskey that hides its proof with less burn.  It lives up.  One important note, I do like high corn whiskey like GD's better offerings.  I guess I can enjoy JD afterall. Thanks flahute, for the extra motivation to try it.  I'm now glad I did. 

Edited by musekatcher
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
On 6/15/2018 at 6:07 PM, musekatcher said:

Not a JD fan but curious about their barrel proof, I succumbed, and brought home a fifth of JDBP.  Surprised.  A few nights later, I compare with StaggJR - I never compare whiskeys, I finish a bottle before moving to the next.  Surprised again.  Of the barrel proofs I've had, I think its the smoothest and most flavorful. Very effective balanced whiskey that hides its proof with less burn.  It lives up.  One important note, I do like high corn whiskey like GD's better offerings.  I guess I can enjoy JD afterall. Thanks flahute, for the extra motivation to try it.  I'm now glad I did. 

Whew! Glad you like it! Would have felt bad if you didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×