Favorite bottom-shelf BIB

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Joe's selection of ET BIB as the BOTM got me to thinking about what may be a renaissance in BIBs in recent years. As a value-oriented consumer, I am impressed by the quality that can be had for $25ish or less.  I say --ish because the price of the same bourbon can vary widely. Still, when I think bottom-shelf I am not thinking of BIBs like CEHT or HMcK but more along the lines of OGD, VOB, HH6YO, or OF (but not OF 1897). And I think of "bottom shelf" as a price not an indicator or quality. There are quite a few BIBs that bat fourth because they can be counted on to clear the bases. 

So, what's your favorite bottom-shelf BIB?

• I like it 1

HH BiB isn't available where I live so I would have to say EW BiB.  OGD Bonded might edge it out a bit on flavor but it's $20+.  The EW is under $15 here so that's the tie breaker for me.  I don't see how HH can sell a whiskey so good for so cheap...

HH6yrBIB for me.  I like OGD BIB, but honestly am not sure I like it better in a blind SBS (hadn't tried though).  And consider it is double the price - no brainer.  Not sold here in Georgia (or anywhere outside of KY as far as I know), but thankfully I find myself there once if not twice a year.  Otherwise, I'm with fosmith - EW BIB is a solid bourbon for the price (hadn't picked one up in a while though - may need to do that just to try a blind SBS with the HH6yrBIB).  

• I like it 1

For me it's a tie between VOB and HH6. Depends on my mood.

• I like it 1

I love Beam BIB but QPR it's J.W. Dant for me as far as what is available here. 

Lately it's been VOB, and JTS Brown for me.  I used to keep the HH 6 year, and Old Fitz in the rotation too.  Those are no longer available here.  JW Dant is also one I enjoy from time to time, and Mellow Corn.

I recently tried the new Old Overholt bonded rye.  I thought it was nice; would buy it again.  If you all haven't guessed by now, bonds are my main thing, but I dabble a litte in some other stuff.

HH6 bib, VOB bib, EW bib. Love em all!! But thats my 1A,1A, 2.

IF I could get them regularly, HH BIB 6yr and VOB BIB "6" (or lately "100 proof") would be my go-tos followed closely by my actual go-to OGD BIBHH BIB 6yr is not available here, but I can get VOB BIB occasionally and by special order.  JTS Brown BIB is not available here, but JW Dant BIB can be found just outside WashDC, and I pick up the very occasional handle.  JB BIB beats out HH's EW White BIB in my opinion for the house mixer and for the occasional neat sipper although I do keep plenty of EW Black (86 proof) on hand for newbies.

ETBIB and HHBIB are tied at the top of my list with OGDBIB not far behind, and just behind that is VOBBIB.

VOB100 and HH6, when I can get it, are my favorites.  Slightly more expensive, but next on the list are Rittenhouse Rye and OGD.  Old Fitzgerald was one of my favorites, but it has disappeared as of late.

BIB is my favorite segment. In order, though they are all close...

VOB,ET,HH and EW.

Special nod to JTS Brown for a good one at about 9.99 in Kentucky.

Sadly, I only have one of these currently open, and that's the Old Overholt Bonded which I believe to be very very good neat.  I'm not a huge fan of the Old Grand Dad BIB (but I love OGD114).  I've gone through more than my share of the Evan Williams BIB, which is my go to when I want something right to the point.  Since we are going under $25, the McKenna doesn't count.  

IMG_2440.jpg

• I like it 1

Wow, that's a new one for me, never seen it before.  Is that KY DSP - 1 (Heaven Hill)? 

• I like it 1

KY DSP-31 Heaven Hill I had thought it was KY only but picked it up on my way up to my brother's place in the Adirondacks. 

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

I'd have to say HH6BiB and Old FitzBiB are my bottom shelfers of choice.   Neither are sold locally, but I've got several of each bunkered.  Actually, quite a bit of the Fitz.

JW Dant BIB tops my list, but, I do rotate through a large variety of BIB bourbons (JB BIB, VOB BIB, OGD, JTS) for my garage bottle.  Currently have an EW BIB there now.  If we expand past the BIB designation (but still in the price range and 100 proof), then I would add JB Distillers Cut and Knob Creek.  I've also seen TW Samuels mentioned on the site a few times and would like to try that as well (not sure if it is still produced).  Along the same lines, I'm hoping to get an Early Times BIB when my sister goes to Kentucky in a few weeks.

• I like it 1

I consider $15 to be the bottom shelf limit.  The only bourbon in my area under $15 that is close to BIB in proof is Virgin Bourbon.  The only true Bottled in Bond whiskey under $20 in my area is EWBIB.   Both are enjoyable. 

41 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

I consider $15 to be the bottom shelf limit.  The only bourbon in my area under $15 that is close to BIB in proof is Virgin Bourbon.  The only true Bottled in Bond whiskey under $20 in my area is EWBIB.   Both are enjoyable. 

Prices are so variable dependent upon area of the Country (Planet, for sure). 

Hell, state to state variations for some BIB's may range up or down within a 10-dollar range from the extreme highs to the extreme lows. 

So saying $15 is the upper limit doesn't necessarily work in my state, where I don't even know of a single Bourbon as inexpensive as $15 for a 750.

• I like it 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, Richnimrod said:

Prices are so variable dependent upon area of the Country (Planet, for sure). 

Hell, state to state variations for some BIB's may range up or down within a 10-dollar range from the extreme highs to the extreme lows. 

So saying $15 is the upper limit doesn't necessarily work in my state, where I don't even know of a single Bourbon as inexpensive as $15 for a 750.

That's an important criteria though.  I can count quite a few KSB's under $15 in my area:  Virgin Bourbon, Benchmark 8, Kentucky Tavern, Ancient Age, Evan Williams, Old Crow, Old Granddad, Jim Beam, and VOB.

Golzee, TW Samuels BIB is something that may have went out of production around 2000.  It was DSP 31 distilled and I don't think was resumed anywhere after "the fire".  No hard facts or insider info; just my observations.

It tasted very similar to the HH 4 year old bond of that era - plenty of eucalyptus.

There was another HH brand called Dowling's Deluxe, that also disappeared around the same time.

• I like it 1

I'd have to go with Jim Beam BiB or Rittenhouse Rye BiB, depending on the mood.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, musekatcher said:

That's an important criteria though.  I can count quite a few KSB's under $15 in my area:  Virgin Bourbon, Benchmark 8, Kentucky Tavern, Ancient Age, Evan Williams, Old Crow, Old Granddad, Jim Beam, and VOB.

I'm happy for you, m. 

I wish we had similar options at such low prices.     ...And, I believe some Western States have it much worse than we do!

As I said, any absolute dollar figure one wishes to apply will necessarily be useful only for a "within-state comparison".    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.