4R OBSV BS

ondarocks
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Question, I'm looking for opinions on this scenario. If you were given a choice of a 4R OBSV barrel strength at 62.5% and 8 yrs, 11 months or an OBSV barrel strength of 51.7% and 11 years which would you choose, if given a choice of only one? One obviously from up high in the rickhouse and one from down low. Neither of these allow you to taste first and it's sight unseen. That's my dilemma (if you want to call it that). ???? I'm thinking the higher octane will be more of a flavor bomb and the lower more nuanced flavors. What say ye all?

5 minutes ago, ondarocks said:

Question, I'm looking for opinions on this scenario. If you were given a choice of a 4R OBSV barrel strength at 62.5% and 8 yrs, 11 months or an OBSV barrel strength of 51.7% and 11 years which would you choose, if given a choice of only one? One obviously from up high in the rickhouse and one from down low. Neither of these allow you to taste first and it's sight unseen. That's my dilemma (if you want to call it that). ???? I'm thinking the higher octane will be more of a flavor bomb and the lower more nuanced flavors. What say ye all?

I tend to gravitate more to lower proof and 9-10 year old bottles so neither of these really hit the mark for me, I would probably go with the 11 year hoping the lower proof helps balance the oak out for my tastes. If you know when they were bottled I would pick the one with the older bottling date as I haven't loved the more recent 4R SB BS bottles I've picked up. 

They also have rickhouses  that are oriented North/South and East/West not to mention the fact that 2 adjacent barrels of the same age can taste VERY different and not just different good ( I have had selections from adjacent barrels and you would never guess it by the taste), the barrel after all is 60% or so of the final flavor profile. Its a crapshoot without tasting, in prior years the odds were more in your favor vs. now as stretched stocks have understandably impacted what is available as evidenced by the increasingly younger PS selections you find on shelves and the increasingly inconsistent reviews from folks purchasing those PS bottles these days. 

IMO its a roll of the dice either way, maybe you can get some tasting notes from the store? not that its reliable but better than nothing.

FWIW, I had these 2 sbs a few days ago. The one on the right is 50%, and the one on the left is 52.8%. While the older BS is better, to me it wasnt the $28 better. The 4R PS I've liked the best were around 115-120 proof. 

20180710_180337.jpg

While age is a good thing with bourbon, I will say that I've had some absolutely fantastic Four Roses picks that were 7-9 years.

Personally, I feel like age statements on 4R are much less a factor (for me) versus actual taste, when picking.

I realize you mentioned that you won't get to try either beforehand.

I think your speculation is probably somewhat correct, that the younger one will be more intense.  I wouldn't say the  older one will be weaker or less intense, just different.  Four Roses cask strength bottles are always "full-flavored" to me.

Personally, If price is similar, I would go for the older barrel, because right now they are slightly scarcer.  If you want to try a younger version of OBSV, you should have no problem finding someone to offer you a taste of one ;) .

I'd also like to add that if either of those bottles is an old "leftover" Rutlege era pick, buy that one no matter what.

Edited by 0895

2 hours ago, ondarocks said:

Higher proof doesn't always mean more 'flavor'.    It only assures more of what'll get ya' ripped.  ;)   That said, higher proof sometimes comes with more dissolved aromatics, therefor; maybe more perceived taste intensity. 

On the other hand, more age in those single story rickhouses used by 4-R, often means more flavor, and more complexity.     And rick position isn't the only predictor.    Some rickhouses are 'hilltop', some are valley floor.   That is more likely to predict "something" than the rick position within an unknown rickhouse IMO.

These are 'shot-in-the-dark' guesses at best, though.    The only way to see which one you like best is to taste 'em both SBS

My advice?   Buy one of each, and go back for seconds (or more) on the best of the two.  :)

12 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Higher proof doesn't always mean more 'flavor'.    It only assures more of what'll get ya' ripped.  ;)   That said, higher proof sometimes comes with more dissolved aromatics, therefor; maybe more perceived taste intensity. 

On the other hand, more age in those single story rickhouses used by 4-R, often means more flavor, and more complexity.     And rick position isn't the only predictor.    Some rickhouses are 'hilltop', some are valley floor.   That is more likely to predict "something" than the rick position within an unknown rickhouse IMO.

These are 'shot-in-the-dark' guesses at best, though.    The only way to see which one you like best is to taste 'em both SBS

My advice?   Buy one of each, and go back for seconds (or more) on the best of the two.  :)

Good advice from everyone. Yes, I presumed it was all a crap shoot anyway but wanted to see what others had to say. So many variables and influences. I am kind of leaning toward the older, lower proof one.

1 hour ago, ondarocks said:

Good advice from everyone. Yes, I presumed it was all a crap shoot anyway but wanted to see what others had to say. So many variables and influences. I am kind of leaning toward the older, lower proof one.

The answer to your kind of question around here is always "buy both!" which I heartily endorse.

As mentioned above, 4R rickhouses are single story. That said, some of the tier 6 barrels can be fantastic, but even then, they've been on the older side. If I was only picking one, I'd get the 11yr every time. Not because older is automatically better but because I find that 4R PS barrels tend to really sing in the 10-12yr age range.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

The answer to your kind of question around here is always "buy both!" which I heartily endorse.

As mentioned above, 4R rickhouses are single story. That said, some of the tier 6 barrels can be fantastic, but even then, they've been on the older side. If I was only picking one, I'd get the 11yr every time. Not because older is automatically better but because I find that 4R PS barrels tend to really sing in the 10-12yr age range.

I second this. Four Roses barrels seem to develop really nice depth of flavor at 10+ years of age. Probably from sitting for so long at a relatively low ABV, among other things.

Buy both or you'll always wonder about "the one that got away".  C'mon, you can always "borrow" $60 from your kid's piggy bank... :lol:

I would go towards the 11 year if I could only pick one.  My favorite Four Roses have usually been around 10 years or so.  I've also found some lower proof ones that I've really enjoyed (a 10 year OBSK comes to mind).

8 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

buy them both and compare!

..........always the correct answer, especially here! ;)

Given that, I've had some extraordinary bottles of the older 4R PS's in the lower proof range.  Obviously, YMMV.

If I were shooting in the dark, I’d go lower proof since you don’t see those too often 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.