Small Batch? For Real?

Greenleaf
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see, roughly 70% of bourbon is advertised as a "Small Batch".

Why is that and why is it so popular?

Almost seems the norm. Too common, if you will. Makes me want to only buy single barrel versions....  

Sounds like your spirit journey will be short and narrow...

Fortunately there are several very good single barrel bourbons out there.  Four Roses is probably the easiest to find, and one of my personal favorites.

Batching is done for consistency.  If that's what you value, then it can be a very good thing.

Single barrels are better suited for those who want a slightly different experience with each new barrel.

• I like it 2

There are many small batch whiskeys that are fabulous. I would not get put off by the ubiquitous nature. Rather, they are a great way to find flavor profiles you like. Once you find something you like, then you can pick up single barrel, barrel select, etc expressions of the same and compare, contrast, and enjoy. To me, tasting through flights of excellent whiskey is great fun. 

Small batch is a sorta meaningless term (or at least its meaning is inconsistent and up to whomever puts it on the label).  Are you looking for bourbon to enjoy?  Or just for rare bottles to collect?  There certainly are some stellar single barrels that punch well above their weight, but there are some disappointing single barrels too.  Bakers and Knob Creek are "small batch" and delicious IMHO.  And anything that isn't a single barrel and also doesn't state "small batch" is either a "large batch", or a small batch without the label.  Again - lack of a definition makes the term somewhat irrelevant.  Any small distiller is producing "small batch" (unless a single barrel) by Beam's standards - but they may not want to bother with the silly label.

Avoiding things with the label "small batch" doesn't make much sense to me if you're looking to drink good whiskey - but to your original question; why is it so popular?  Because it isn't a regulated term - and to the casual shopper conveys quality (this isn't "mass produced", this is done with small batches, more select barrels, etc).  

I think you folks are being too charitable here. "Small batch" doesn't mean jack is where I would end this discussion :)

As for single barrel vs small batch, there is no intrinsic quality of drawing bourbon from an individual barrel that automatically makes it better, no? Sure there is a correlation there, that barrel has to be drinkable to bottle it as a SB, and since the common practice is to position SBs as high-end releases they have to be extra careful with barrel selection, but we've all seen this go terribly wrong too. But back to the original point... I don't find a lot of value in a SmB vs SB comparison. They're simply different bottling methodologies suitable for different circumstances. Heck, SBs can be interesting when you feel like experimenting, but sometimes I wish I could consistently get a Blanton's that I could love and not feel like I'm buying a lottery ticket.

• I like it 1

Aside from the actual/ legal rules and regulations pertaining to the making of bourbon, there can be a lot of confusion concerning many of the terms and specifics (or lack thereof) that are being used in the industry. There always has been, and there probably always will be. It’s just the nature of the beast. Forget most of the “designations”. Try different bourbons, find which ones you like, then enjoy.

Also, and FWIW, there are other threads on this subject. Do a search. There’s some fun and interest reading, not to mention maybe just a little bit of “disagreement”  amongst a few members of our family. ^_^

Biba! Joe

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

Avoiding things with the label "small batch" doesn't make much sense to me if you're looking to drink good whiskey - but to your original question; why is it so popular?  Because it isn't a regulated term - and to the casual shopper conveys quality (this isn't "mass produced", this is done with small batches, more select barrels, etc).  

And I have heard (gasp!) that some people actually prefer the 4R SmB to the SB!

• I like it 2

48 minutes ago, Flyfish said:

And I have heard (gasp!) that some people actually prefer the 4R SmB to the SB!

Yeah - anyone who has any of that crummy, overpriced Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch . . . I'm happy to offer appropriate disposal services :D In fact, I'd be willing to trade Single Barrel FR for that swill.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, GaryT said:

Yeah - anyone who has any of that crummy, overpriced Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch . . . I'm happy to offer appropriate disposal services :D In fact, I'd be willing to trade Single Barrel FR for that swill.

I love them both.  Again, I guess it depends on the barrel.  

Small batch, single barrel, etc.  don't factor into buying decisions.  I buy what I like.  I don't really care whether if it is small batch, single barrel, age stated, NAS.  That said, certain profiles are of interest to me. For example, I prefer FR SB v. FR SmB.  I prefer 1792 SB v. 1792.   However, I think that is based more on proof than SB being better than SmB or standard offerings.

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Has anything ever had "large batch" on the label? :)

I think Jefferson’s is working on it right now.  

It’s called “single rack house reserve”. It’s about 20,000 barrels to a batch.  Only $299.99/bottle 

• I like it 2

Ah the good old Jefferson's... They also have a "Very Small Batch", don't they? So many options at such fine granularity of barrel selection...

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Small batch, single barrel, etc.  don't factor into buying decisions.  I buy what I like.  I don't really care whether if it is small batch, single barrel, age stated, NAS

Nailed it :) 

7 hours ago, PaulO said:

Has anything ever had "large batch" on the label? :)

I think this would raise too many questions along the lines of "So . . . what are they trying to compensate for with this designation?" :lol: 

I lump this discussion into the category - Drink what you like, not what you are supposed to like. 

• I like it 1

On 9/1/2018 at 7:28 PM, Greenleaf said:

I see, roughly 70% of bourbon is advertised as a "Small Batch".

Why is that and why is it so popular?

Almost seems the norm. Too common, if you will. Makes me want to only buy single barrel versions....  

It's popular because that's how it's always been. The idea of single barrel is fairly new in bourbon history and started in the mid 80's or so as a response to the single malt scotch category. Single malt scotches were considered to be premium products and the bourbon industry needed to create their own version of a premium product. Does this mean that single barrels are inherently better? No! Plenty of single barrels can have flaws. That's were blending comes in. Average barrels can be blended with other average barrels to create something wonderful. Skilled blenders are among the unsung heroes of bourbonia.

As mentioned above, the term small batch is pure marketing that has no legal definition. Due to decades of horrible bottom shelf "blended whiskey" - an actual category - the term "blended" became a negative term even though the majority of bourbons are just that - blended. (And again - not to be confused with the category of blended whiskey). Enter the term "small batch" - a more friendly way to say "blended". The inclusion of the word small makes you think it's handcrafted even though it can be 10 barrels in a batch or 400. And there's nothing wrong with batches of 400 barrels if the desired flavor profile is attained.

The reason you buy single barrels is to find a particular barrel that you like whether it's a different than normal profile or an exceptional version of the expected profile. When you find it you stock up (assuming that the barrel info is provided.)

So again, as stated above, drink what tastes good.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.