Magnus Barrell Selection

bourbon4all
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

@WhiskeyBlender 

We have an upcoming barrell selection and would like a little advice since our group can’t come to you.

First 

Can you describe what each different  finish would do. Such as softens sweetens adds fruitiness mustiness

Second

Do you know what finish if any went into some of the other selections. In particular the two that nasa did. 

Third

Will you just come to Ks?

I am a fan of what you do and if it would help to limit it we are leaning towards Armagnac or Sherry

Thanks in advance if for nothing else for blending up some great bottles.

24 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

@WhiskeyBlender 

We have an upcoming barrell selection and would like a little advice since our group can’t come to you.

First 

Can you describe what each different  finish would do. Such as softens sweetens adds fruitiness mustiness

Second

Do you know what finish if any went into some of the other selections. In particular the two that nasa did. 

Third

Will you just come to Ks?

I am a fan of what you do and if it would help to limit it we are leaning towards Armagnac or Sherry

Thanks in advance if for nothing else for blending up some great bottles.

I will not presume to answer for Nancy here, but having done a Magnus pick for my local at Magnus and with Nancy, I can offer a little insight.

Though you will go into it with a desired finish in mind, you need to keep an open mind. You will presumably pick a barrel (of either MGP or Dickel) based on the quality of that individual barrel as it currently stands. The individual characteristics and profile of that barrel will be suited to one of the three finishes based on what's already present and which of the three finishes will complement it the best.

For us, Nancy and Matt (the Magnus blender) both thought that PX finish was best for us. (This also aligned with what I was hoping for so it worked out great for me!)

Nancy will of course have better insight.

@bourbon4all, sorry I'm just now getting back to your question. Actually, I have to say that @flahute answered the question much better than I ever could! Thanks for covering me on this, flahute! 

Like Steve said, the kind of finish that would go with the barrel selection would totally depend upon what kind of qualities the chosen cask exhibits, and thus the cask finish would be used to enhance the cask (assuming you want that). My colleague at Magnus, Matt Witzig, usually works on this program, but if you want to do it some time when I'm in town and do it with me, you can PM me and I can tell you how best to set it up and more about it. 

On a side note, I'd love to come to KS! I was just in TX, so rather close. 

Cheers, and happy imbibing, 

Nancy

I’m just happy that Joseph Magnus bourbon is finally available in west TN so I was able to get a bottle and see what all the hoopla is about...Pricey, but tasty bourbon.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.