Stagg Jr. batch 11

fosmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone seen Stagg Jr. batch 11 yet?  If so, what proof is it?  It's been about six months or more since batch 10 came out so it should be about time.  I couldn't find any batch info on the BT web site. 

Man, your anxious for this one. I have a ways to go before I work through batch 8&9.  I’m just happy this is one I can find.

3 hours ago, BB Slim said:

Man, your anxious for this one. I have a ways to go before I work through batch 8&9.  I’m just happy this is one I can find.

FOMO!  LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

My LS brought out from the back some batch 6 bottles a couple of weeks ago. I’ll let you know how 11 is in 2021. 

5 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

My LS brought out from the back some batch 6 bottles a couple of weeks ago. I’ll let you know how 11 is in 2021. 

Ha!

ill probably join in on that. 

We could make it a VBT .

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw on Reddit that Stagg Jr. batch 11 is now out at 127.9 proof.   Haven't seen a review yet nor has it surfaced here it Calif.  We're always at least a month behind... 

Yeah, batch 11 is out in the wild in NJ.  I picked up a bottle of batch 11, but won't be opening it for awhile, as I just recently opened a batch 10.

6 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Yeah, batch 11 is out in the wild in NJ.  I picked up a bottle of batch 11, but won't be opening it for awhile, as I just recently opened a batch 10.

How do you like it?  I have a bottle open and think it's great.  Butter, caramel, butterscotch and oak on the nose are a treat. 

Edited by fosmith
typo

3 minutes ago, fosmith said:

How do you like it?  I have a bottle open and think it's great.  Butter, caramel, butterscotch and oak on the nose are a treat. 

All good on the first pour, but haven't had another pour yet.  Stagg Jr. is definitely one that I open up a bottle, take a first pour, and then put it back in the cupboard to sit for at least a few weeks before I go back to it.  It needs to breathe and "open up" a bit IMHO.  I'll go back to it one day soon. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Is there something in the SB by-laws forbidding two open bottles? Come on. Share your impressions with the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Flyfish said:

Is there something in the SB by-laws forbidding two open bottles? Come on. Share your impressions with the rest of us.

Its usually found in the marital bylaws...

;)

• I like it 1

I’ve been buying since batch 3 and find the batches to be very consistent. I can pick up some differences when I do SBS but we’re entering Booker’s level batch consistency IMO. Buy and drink with confidence. If they put out a bad batch, feel free to sound the alarm but we’re talking about a solid track record over several years at this point with very little batch variation. 

Edited by Charlutz

6 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I’ve been buying since batch 3 and find the batches to be very consistent. I can pick up some differences when I do SBS but we’re entering Booker’s level batch consistency IMO. Buy and drink with confidence. If they put out a bad batch, feel free to sound the alarm but we’re talking about a solid track record over several years at this point. 

Yeah, I've had a bottle of 7-10 and there is very little between them. These are super consistent so other than obsessive compulsively trying them all (which I certainly do), there isn't much reason to seek out or avoid a specific batch, at least not with the recent ones.

6 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Lol--2 open bottles...  I think I have at least 100 open bottles right now, which is why I need to be somewhat mindful of how many more I open at the present time.  I am filled to the rim with open bottles.  But as others have noted, the risk of a bad batch of Stagg Jr. is very small these days, due to the recent batch quality and consistency.  And I was one of the "suckers" who bought the first two batches, so I have seen the other end of the spectrum with Stagg Jr.

At the risk of being at least tangentially off topic, I have a Stagg Jr. question that maybe somebody reading this thread can answer.  Although I have never tasted the first batch or two of Stagg Jr., I have repeatedly read other poster's opinions that they were disastrous.  I am curious why BT would introduce a new product with such a poor offering.  Anybody know how this product (of which I like the later releases very much) got off to such a rough start?  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Swamp55 said:

At the risk of being at least tangentially off topic, I have a Stagg Jr. question that maybe somebody reading this thread can answer.  Although I have never tasted the first batch or two of Stagg Jr., I have repeatedly read other poster's opinions that they were disastrous.  I am curious why BT would introduce a new product with such a poor offering.  Anybody know how this product (of which I like the later releases very much) got off to such a rough start?  Thanks.

I guess only BT knows the real story.  But who knows, it could have been rushed to market, or someone at BT might have actually thought it was a good product and ready for release.  I am sure that the overall negativity surrounding the first two releases (and again, I had bottles of both batches) was magnified due to the high proof.  Bad bourbon at 90 proof is probably less offensive than bad bourbon at 135 proof.  That can be (and frankly was with Stagg Jr.) like drinking liquid fire, and just ain't fun.  Heck, some people still find even the recent batches of Stagg Jr. to be a hot mess.  It's a fine line at these types of proofs in the 130s.

• I like it 3

^^^^I'll chime in and add that EHT BP batch 1 joined right in with Stagg Jr. batch 1 as a HAHH (hot as holy hell) mess. 

So... whatever the hell BT had in mind, well... lets just say it worked both times! 

• 2 weeks later...

How do you tell what batch of Stagg Jr you have? I have a bottle but all it has on it is the alcohol by volume and proof, nothing else.

23 minutes ago, mross said:

How do you tell what batch of Stagg Jr you have? I have a bottle but all it has on it is the alcohol by volume and proof, nothing else.

By the proof:

Batch 10 – (Spring, 2018) – 126.4 Proof

Batch 9 – (Fall, 2017) – 131.9 Proof

Batch 8 – (Spring, 2017) – 129.5 Proof

Batch 7 – (Fall, 2016) – 130.0 Proof

Batch 6 – (Spring, 2016) – 132.5 Proof

Batch 5 – (Fall, 2015) – 129.7 Proof

Batch 4 – (Spring, 2015) – 132.2 Proof

Batch 3 – (Fall, 2014) – 132.1 Proof

Batch 2 – (Spring, 2014) – 128.7 Proof

Batch 1 – (Fall, 2013) – 134.4 Proof

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

By the proof:

Batch 10 – (Spring, 2018) – 126.4 Proof

Batch 9 – (Fall, 2017) – 131.9 Proof

Batch 8 – (Spring, 2017) – 129.5 Proof

Batch 7 – (Fall, 2016) – 130.0 Proof

Batch 6 – (Spring, 2016) – 132.5 Proof

Batch 5 – (Fall, 2015) – 129.7 Proof

Batch 4 – (Spring, 2015) – 132.2 Proof

Batch 3 – (Fall, 2014) – 132.1 Proof

Batch 2 – (Spring, 2014) – 128.7 Proof Bourbonex.com

Batch 1 – (Fall, 2013) – 134.4 Proof

Thanks, I have to double check but think mine is a 9.

Did someone say Stagg Jr???

Seen at Susans in Santa Fe, NM.  Most I have ever seen in one place!!

3940E051-05D0-4AB9-B9C9-E4B909F18614.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Schultz24 said:

Did someone say Stagg Jr???

Seen at Susans in Santa Fe, NM.  Most I have ever seen in one place!!

3940E051-05D0-4AB9-B9C9-E4B909F18614.jpeg

That is a beautiful sight! 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.