Swiss Bourbon?

mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of the members of a local FB bourbon group posted a photo of Langatun Swiss Bourbon that they picked up while traveling in Switzerland. I asked if it was made in Switzerland since, if so, it can't be called bourbon. Another member responded that it's ok as long as it's not sold in the U.S. My response to that was it doesn't matter where it's sold, it still can't be labeled as such. His response was condescending and implied that I'm naive because other countries can do whatever they want and we can't impose our will on them. I (hopefully) ended the argument by stating (sarcastically) that he was right, that anyone can do whatever they want, and if there's money to be made, who cares?

Well, I do care and got a little irritated. Maybe I'm overreacting, but that seems to be a big F.U. to our distillers without concern for lost sales and product identity dilution if any other country can start labeling their whiskey "bourbon." That same line of reasoning would indicate that we should be producing our own Cognac, Champagne, and Tequila since there's money to be made and other countries can't tell us what to do. Also, we shouldn't get our panties in a bunch over Chinese knock-offs as long as they're not sold here. 

What say you guys? Am I overreacting? Did I just get MY panties in a bunch?

SwissBourbon.jpg

I am decidedly on your side of this disagreement, Brian.    To say anybody, anywhere, outside the US can make, label and sell "Bourbon" without our having any recourse is... well;

I am certain there are legal remedies that our producers can pursue, including through international associations, at a minimum.   

I would hope the KBDA and others are aware of this and are weighing their options even as we type.

Col. Cowdery should have some comment on this situation....

That swill looks disgusting. The Swiss. Hmpf. I say we kick em in the nuts...oh wait that won’t work...never mind. 

The Identity regulations that protect bourbon are protected by trade agreements, if a country chooses to not recognize that they can within their own borders but countries that recognize those protections wouldn't/shouldn't import the product. That being said it was only a few years ago that there was an Irish Bourbon on the shelf in the US because things aren't so strictly enforced. 

http://thewhiskeyjug.com/irish-whiskey/john-l-sullivan-irish-bourbon-review/

Maybe this Langatun is a non distiller producer, and they buy bourbon in bulk from one or more U.S. sources?  If that's the case, it's ok legally.  

Swiss made bourbon - no.  Just call it whiskey.

Counter point to this is U.S. produced Champagne.  French say it's sparkling wine.  Champagne has to come only from Champagne region of France.  I must say the French bottle conditioned Champagne is a much different (better) product compared to wine carbonated by adding CO2 like soda pop.

Here is this from Breaking Bourbon (from one of their "quizzes"):

"Bourbon is a distinctive product of the United States, and according to many trade agreements can only be legally produced within the United States. However, numerous brands available in other countries seem to violate these rules, including Bourbons sold in Australia and the European Union. What’s the best explanation for this?... The requirements that apply to Bourbon sold within the United States do not necessarily apply in other countries, so products can be labelled Bourbon in those countries and legally not comply with the same set of rules as those sold in the United States"

I'll add, Switzerland is not a part of the European Union and probably has fewer rules to follow with regards to labeling.

Great info here, guys. Thanks! I think I was mostly put off by that guy's flippant and condescending attitude. In the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal but still seems shady on the part of that producer. They obviously recognize that the name bourbon holds some value or they wouldn't be using it on their whiskey. I wouldn't buy it and I know most here wouldn't, either. I wonder if the Swiss are importing bourbon as well.

23 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

I wonder if the Swiss are importing bourbon as well.

Switzerland is a land of unicorns. With all the money there, there are some serious collectors of bourbon, and also home to EBRA - http://en.ebra.ch

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Switzerland is a land of unicorns. With all the money there, there are some serious collectors of bourbon, and also home to EBRA - http://en.ebra.ch

So, they should know better. Hmmm ...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.