Jump to content
WhiskeyBlender

General Guide for buying Vintage Armagnacs

Recommended Posts

LCWoody
21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Now, you done it.  Here’s what happened to the last guy who used wee dram and George T Stagg in the same sentence...    

 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7G6hk-wxk

 

 

 

A little dab behind the ears will do ya.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LCWoody

(whiskeyblender) Nancy, thank you so much for your time, and input on SB.com. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Now, you done it.  Here’s what happened to the last guy who used wee dram and George T Stagg in the same sentence...    

 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7G6hk-wxk

 

 

 

My favorite part about this video is that it is in French, perfect for the Armagnac thread!

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
18 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

My favorite part about this video is that it is in French, perfect for the Armagnac thread!

Oui!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake

1973507707_52550238_584471628683891_3057529931748605952_n(1).thumb.jpg.ca57a5c96113f380ab771f16ecd0f35c.jpg

 

I'm having some friends over for an Armagnac tasting in a couple days, so I had a sample of all the bottles I currently have open and settled on these 5. I think I'll start with the Delord as that seems to be the most accessable, and then move from youngest to oldest (arranged as pictured here).

 

One thing that really stood out to me was the tropical notes in the Pellehaut, like pineapple, which I don't recall every getting in any other Armagnacs.

 

The two Darroze bottlings are interesting, not from the same distillery but both are Baco at 20 and 30 years respectively. I think the Barigos may be my favorite of the lot.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 2/12/2019 at 8:23 PM, EarthQuake said:

1973507707_52550238_584471628683891_3057529931748605952_n(1).thumb.jpg.ca57a5c96113f380ab771f16ecd0f35c.jpg

 

I'm having some friends over for an Armagnac tasting in a couple days, so I had a sample of all the bottles I currently have open and settled on these 5. I think I'll start with the Delord as that seems to be the most accessable, and then move from youngest to oldest (arranged as pictured here). 

 

Quote

 

One thing that really stood out to me was the tropical notes in the Pellehaut, like pineapple, which I don't recall every getting in any other Armagnacs.

 

The two Darroze bottlings are interesting, not from the same distillery but both are Baco at 20 and 30 years respectively. I think the Barigos may be my favorite of the lot.

Holy smokes @EarthQuake, that's a world-class Armagnac line-up! I'm a huge fan of just about all of the Darroze Domaine de Rieston bottlings. Some are admittedly better than others, of course, but I can say that I've never had anything remotely bad from that domaine. The Domaine de Boingneres is fantastic too. If you can ever get one of her Armagnacs that is pure folle blanche, it will be a treat. Can't go wrong with the Delord vintage and the Pellehaut vintage too. Please let me know how this tasting goes. I can't wait to hear what they think!

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
6 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

 

Holy smokes @EarthQuake, that's a world-class Armagnac line-up! I'm a huge fan of just about all of the Darroze Domaine de Rieston bottlings. Some are admittedly better than others, of course, but I can say that I've never had anything remotely bad from that domaine. The Domaine de Boingneres is fantastic too. If you can ever get one of her Armagnacs that is pure folle blanche, it will be a treat. Can't go wrong with the Delord vintage and the Pellehaut vintage too. Please let me know how this tasting goes. I can't wait to hear what they think!

 

Cheers,

Nancy

Hey Nancy, I'm glad the lineup had your seal of approval. In typical Nancy fashion you nailed the crowd favorite - the Rieston. We went through at least half the bottle of this, and after everyone had a chance to try all 5 this was the one people were reaching for. It's probably my favorite of the the lot too, though I quite like this Barigos 1988 too. Amusingly, I didn't intend to buy the Rieston, I ordered another bottle that I had really liked (1985 Darroze La Marquette which was amazing but now I can't find it anywhere!) but they were out of stock so I randomly picked the Reiston instead. I'll have to order another bottle or two before they run out.

 

Overall it went really well and everyone seemed to enjoy them. This was a group of my wife's work friends who are whiskey drinkers but didn't know much about Armagnac, so I've taken it upon myself to spread the good word.

 

When I was in France I think (though I am not sure) that I had the Boingneres Folle Blanche 1985, which was exceptional. I had it at a nice little restaurant near Versailles. I remember they had two Boingneres bottles and one was the Folle Blanche, but I can't recall with any certainty which one I tried. Anyway, that was what motivated me to try the Cepages Nobles.

 

Also, in typical midwestern style, everyone was too polite to finish a single bottle. Even the Delord that started pretty low.

 

52708415_569126893568027_1183189990272663552_n.jpg

Edited by EarthQuake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 2/15/2019 at 8:47 PM, EarthQuake said:

Hey Nancy, I'm glad the lineup had your seal of approval. In typical Nancy fashion you nailed the crowd favorite - the Rieston. We went through at least half the bottle of this, and after everyone had a chance to try all 5 this was the one people were reaching for. It's probably my favorite of the the lot too, though I quite like this Barigos 1988 too. Amusingly, I didn't intend to buy the Rieston, I ordered another bottle that I had really liked (1985 Darroze La Marquette which was amazing but now I can't find it anywhere!) but they were out of stock so I randomly picked the Reiston instead. I'll have to order another bottle or two before they run out.

 

Overall it went really well and everyone seemed to enjoy them. This was a group of my wife's work friends who are whiskey drinkers but didn't know much about Armagnac, so I've taken it upon myself to spread the good word.

 

When I was in France I think (though I am not sure) that I had the Boingneres Folle Blanche 1985, which was exceptional. I had it at a nice little restaurant near Versailles. I remember they had two Boingneres bottles and one was the Folle Blanche, but I can't recall with any certainty which one I tried. Anyway, that was what motivated me to try the Cepages Nobles.

 

Also, in typical midwestern style, everyone was too polite to finish a single bottle. Even the Delord that started pretty low.

 

52708415_569126893568027_1183189990272663552_n.jpg

@EarthQuake, I just couldn't help but have a good laugh when I saw the photo of the "almost" empty bottles! Although I live in California, I'm a native East Tennessean, and nobody there would EVER be so rude as to polish off the last remaining dregs if it wasn't their own bottle consumed alone in the privacy of their own home! (LOL) There's a lot that can be said regarding how culture affects drinking customs. Maybe we'll have to have a thread on that one day! 

 

Ha! I'm thrilled to hear that the Darroze Domaine de Rieston was the favorite! Baco is such as great varietal for Armagnac, and it is one that seems to translate well for people that are mainly whiskey drinkers, and particularly bourbon drinkers. 

 

As for the Domaine de Boingneres, just a heads up: Madame Martine Lafitte is retiring, so she's in the process of closing down shop. I don't know if she' going to be selling off her stocks, or selling her still along with the stock so that someone can take over, or what. She's the last in her family line, so if you want to get some more of her Armagnac, now's the time to do it. 

 

At any rate, I'll reiterate this, but I just have to say that you really couldn't have picked a better group of Armagnac producers to show for your tasting. Every time I'm in France, I stock up on all the Darroze, Delord, and Boingneres that my 2nd suitcase will hold! 

 

With that, I'm off to make a cassoulet for tonight's dinner, and maybe I'll have an Armagnac cocktail while cooking, then of course, Armagnac after dinner. All this talk of tasty vintage Armagnacs has gotten me missing southwestern France!

 

Cheers,

Nancy

 

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake

@WhiskeyBlender Nancy, that's a shame to hear about Boingneres. Unfortunately I have difficulty finding these and when I do the prices are quite high. I paid about 2x for the Boingneres ($200-ish) as I did for the two Darroze bottles here ($90 each), and I can't say that I like it any better. Though if you know of a good source for them, please let me know! I would love to find a 1985 Folle Blanche. Have you had any luck in the US or do you generally bring them back from France?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
On 2/17/2019 at 10:23 PM, EarthQuake said:

@WhiskeyBlender Nancy, that's a shame to hear about Boingneres. Unfortunately I have difficulty finding these and when I do the prices are quite high. I paid about 2x for the Boingneres ($200-ish) as I did for the two Darroze bottles here ($90 each), and I can't say that I like it any better. Though if you know of a good source for them, please let me know! I would love to find a 1985 Folle Blanche. Have you had any luck in the US or do you generally bring them back from France?

@EarthQuake, years ago I used to buy the Boingneres at a store called D & M Wine & Spirits in San Francisco. However, the selection isn't quite what it used to be. I've been buying them directly from Mme. Lafitte for the past 5 years now. Looks like there is a Domaine Boingneres 2001 Folle Blanche right now on the D&M website for $159, in case you're interested. ? 

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@EarthQuake, years ago I used to buy the Boingneres at a store called D & M Wine & Spirits in San Francisco. However, the selection isn't quite what it used to be. I've been buying them directly from Mme. Lafitte for the past 5 years now. Looks like there is a Domaine Boingneres 2001 Folle Blanche right now on the D&M website for $159, in case you're interested. ? 

Oooh, I'll be in SF next month for a conference. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to get away from the Moscone area though. Are there any shops downtown you would recommend in SF? It looks like K&L has some interesting stuff. Do you have any thoughts on Baraillon? They have a 1985 (33 year) for $125. A number of L'Encantadas as well.

 

Looks like Masion Corbeaux (which seems to be close to D&M) doesn't have much but they do have a 1981 Dartigalongue (I have to spell check every time I try to type this, Boingneres too lol) for $125, I may have to make a special trip for that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Oooh, I'll be in SF next month for a conference. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to get away from the Moscone area though. Are there any shops downtown you would recommend in SF? It looks like K&L has some interesting stuff. Do you have any thoughts on Baraillon? They have a 1985 (33 year) for $125. A number of L'Encantadas as well.

 

Looks like Masion Corbeaux (which seems to be close to D&M) doesn't have much but they do have a 1981 Dartigalongue (I have to spell check every time I try to type this, Boingneres too lol) for $125, I may have to make a special trip for that! 

MAO gave the 1985 a less enthusiastic review he just reviewed an 84 today and linked back https://myannoyingopinions.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
49 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

MAO gave the 1985 a less enthusiastic review he just reviewed an 84 today and linked back https://myannoyingopinions.com/

Awesome thanks!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
13 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Oooh, I'll be in SF next month for a conference. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to get away from the Moscone area though. Are there any shops downtown you would recommend in SF? It looks like K&L has some interesting stuff. Do you have any thoughts on Baraillon? They have a 1985 (33 year) for $125. A number of L'Encantadas as well.

 

Looks like Masion Corbeaux (which seems to be close to D&M) doesn't have much but they do have a 1981 Dartigalongue (I have to spell check every time I try to type this, Boingneres too lol) for $125, I may have to make a special trip for that! 

@EarthQuake, yes, in addition to K & L, there's a good spirits store called CASK. It is on 3rd street, so it will be very close to the Moscone center. You could walk there easily. Might want to check it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×