Whats not in your wheelhouse

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

... The other poster above that said they don't like Stagg Jr. or ER10...mind blown. (Unless it was batch 1 of sjr)

I've only had one bottle of Stagg Jr (it was from about 2 years ago) and was just an astringent mess. I haven't pulled the trigger on a bottle since. The Eagle Rare, I've given two shots and while I did like the second bottle better, it just is not a fit for my palate. FWIW, I really enjoy almost everything else from BT.

Dickel, Weller, rye-mash bourbon from HH less that is 12 years or less (I like EC 18/23, and most of the New Bernhiem Orphan Barrels, I like HH's wheaters too), Makers Mark, Beam bourbon less than 10 years. Small barrel craft whiskey of all types.

11 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I haven't found any not in my wheelhouse but will keep looking.

I like the way you think!

On any given day I find my taste can change. Depending on the crowd and the function being attended I can stomach most spirits.

In general given any other options I will tend to stay away from Dickel juice, 'finished' Woodford, and Jeffersons; and some others classified as bottom shelf well-pour Bourbon. I like Jack black tho, go figure...

JBW, that one goes back decades for me, I would say sub 8yr old Beam (excluding OGD which is a go to mainstay for me). I had a very up/down time with EC12 and HMcK bib so older HH is a pass, but I am very fond of HH bibs and several EC NAS. ER is another pass, never found one that did it for me, same goes for MM though I have yet to try the CS version.  4R smb used to be a favorite but I changed or it changed or a little of both, its off the list now too, the complexity I enjoyed seems to have diminished and a boozy astringency is in its place, there are hints of what was but not enough to make it a current buy. The house of Barton is not immune, while I am a big fan of VOB BIB and some 1792FP, the standard small batch just isn't my cup of tea. There are several craftys as well but given the youth and diversity of that whole movement that's to be expected. Oh and I nearly left Weller SR off the list, its up there with my friend JBW.

Edited by kcgumbohead
incomplete

I haven't had any bourbons that I can not stand to drink. A lot of the more available bottles like MM, Woodford, Knob Creek etc I buy every few years when I get the feeling.

5 hours ago, Surtur said:

I haven't had any bourbons that I can not stand to drink. A lot of the more available bottles like MM, Woodford, Knob Creek etc I buy every few years when I get the feeling.

Along with a small handful of below-the-bottom shelfers from the big boys  (EW black, OFitz gold label to name 2), craft bourbons have been the most consistently blech bourbons that threaten to dive out the wheelhouse window and crash on the rocks below.  However, since I couldn't mix a cocktail to save my soul, and I just can't bring myself to dump anything no matter how bad, I revisit them neat on rare occasions.  This is to refresh the memory and boost the resistance to temptation when another "uniquely described" crafty one trys to woo me with promises of oaky goodness measured in months by some, ahhh, less conventional method or another.

I don't include the large/experienced craft-sized distilleries (like Willett & New Riff) in the blech category, just the "kiddie crafts".  Hope to pick up another NRbib on the next trip through the Holy Lands.

3 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

Along with a small handful of below-the-bottom shelfers from the big boys  (EW black, OFitz gold label to name 2), craft bourbons have been the most consistently blech bourbons that threaten to dive out the wheelhouse window and crash on the rocks below.  However, since I couldn't mix a cocktail to save my soul, and I just can't bring myself to dump anything no matter how bad, I revisit them neat on rare occasions.  This is to refresh the memory and boost the resistance to temptation when another "uniquely described" crafty one trys to woo me with promises of oaky goodness measured in months by some, ahhh, less conventional method or another.

I don't include the large/experienced craft-sized distilleries (like Willett & New Riff) in the blech category, just the "kiddie crafts".  Hope to pick up another NRbib on the next trip through the Holy Lands.

Although, I would take EW Black out of the equation, the rest of your past resonates really well with me.  

The cool things about these boards are how other peoples words can help you find your own.  

I seem to have some company.  Not in my wheelhouse: Woodford, Dickel, or RR 1792.  The finish is where these all take a bad turn.  Woodford tastes metallic.  Dickel has the chew-able vitamin aftertaste.  1792 reminds me of tea that was steeped too long.

I know it gets a lot of love here, but I don't much care for Eagle Rare.  Yes, it's or was single barrel.  Some bottles I've tried were mediocre.  Others were less so.  There's this taste that reminds me of wet moldy wood (like the bottom of a woodpile) that I associate with ER.

Also got the first or early batch of Stagg Jr.  It tasted like bottom shelf well bourbon at really high proof.

What's in my wheelhouse lately: WT 101, Beam (Distiller's Cut, KCSB, Overholt BIB), 4R regular 80, 90, 100 proof releases, Barton BIB, EW BIB, MM, ...  

I've commented on quite a few other's posts but haven't put my own out there.

4RSmB, Larceny (but I do like the old Old Fitz BIB), MM (don't like the CS version much either), Dickel (recently had some Bib & Tucker that was definitely Dickel).  4R individual recipes aren't usually my thing either but I do like the F yeast.  Woodford has that copper penny taste but is mostly inoffensive enough that I don't mind it.  I'm in the minority it seems that really likes oak. I liked the old EC12 better.  EC18 and Barterhouse are faves.  I even really enjoyed PVW23.

31 minutes ago, PaulO said:

1792 reminds me of tea that was steeped too long.

You nailed it. I have never been able to articulate what my dislike with 1792 is, but this describes it perfectly (but I do like VOB).

• I like it 3

Woodford Reserve, Angel's Envy, Michter's Toasted Barrel Rye (I preferred the regular barrel strength rye to this)

Larceny, Rebel Yell SmB, WSR, Maker's 46, JW Dant BiB, JB White, and JB SiB are all drinkable, but not very enjoyable. And I really enjoy wheaters - standard MM is just fine, really like OWA and Rebel Yell 10. In the rye department, I don't hate Pikesville, but don't come close to liking it as much as I would expect based on the plethora of rave reviews. Woodford Reserve rye was another disappointment, if not truly bad.

Count me as another that doesn't like finished bourbons.

I have never poured a bottle out, but definitely relegate some things to cocktail only status. I had a pour of JD Black not that long ago and had to pour that out - awful. Tried the JD SiB at a wedding reception and it wasn't so bad, but I would not pay the asking price for a bottle. I've never had any Dickel whiskey, so can't comment on that.

Outside of the majors, things can get dicey. Young craft bourbons with an overpowering corn flavor are not for me, but does anyone really prefer this stuff even if they can tolerate it?

Not a fan of anything SA at this point.  

Woodford Double Oaked isn’t bad, but not anything I really want to keep a bottle of handy.  

Also not a fan of young whiskey.  Speaking of SA, I tried a barrel pick of the American 107 today that the store was high on.  Not my thing... Still tastes too young.  

Anything finished in another cask so far. 

A lot of low proofers.  I like to live around 100 or higher.  

On 11/13/2018 at 6:23 PM, PowderKeg said:

Yes I agree with you, and I should amend my post to say that Im really not into trying new things these days. I too have spent many disappointing dollars on craft bourbons when they first started taking off and these days it’s just not worth it to try anymore. I was recently given some Black Maple Hill Rye bottled last year and it was bad. Very bad. A once reputable brand reduced to tasting like birch tree.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.