Whats not in your wheelhouse

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

what bourbon(s) just dont do it for you even though others seem to like em a lot? 

May be bourbon sacreliidge but for me it’s Four Roses SiB and HM10. The FR is just not enjoyable although the yellow label is pretty tasty.  The HM10 just tasted like peanuts. 

Although at some point I may have to give them another chance to confirm the two that stand out are Woodford Reserve and 1792 small batch. They just didn't do it for me.

Edited by Jfletchgu
  • I like it 2

what bourbon(s) just dont do it for you even though others seem to like em a lot? 

May be bourbon sacreliidge but for me it’s Four Roses SiB and HM10. The FR is just not enjoyable although the yellow label is pretty tasty.  The HM10 just tasted like peanuts. 

Oh my, that is bourbon sacrilege! Just kidding, but since we’re talking about single barrel products, you could have just gotten a bad barrel or ones that just didn’t work for your palate.

The bourbons that just don’t work for me are WSR and EWBIB. But I keep giving them a try from time to time...eventually I might change my mind.
  • I like it 1

Cool topic. 

Bookers. Recently gave it another go and still not for me. Just has a weird funky taste to my pallet and is harsh on the back end. The price sucks as well. 

Stagg Jr. Last bottle I had smelled amazing, tasted fine, but after each sip I felt this “bile-esq” burn in my throat. 

Could be the high proofs, but I enjoy ECBP, EHBP, and digging the JD BP I just bought. Overall I think my general wheelhouse Proof wise is 100-115.  

• I like it 1

Anything Woodford, most Beam products, and younger (less than 10 yrs old) bourbons 120+ proof.

Woodford fell out for me years ago and isn’t coming back in anytime soon.

Beam is the last 12-18 months. Bakers does well with me 70% of the time and a few single barrels of KC.

The younger extra high proofers just don’t seem to mesh well enough with water. Older CS bottles tend to do better. Just me.

• I like it 1

I’ve never been able to get enthused with MGP bourbon as a stand-alone whiskey.  Have had some that are finished or mingled that I have enjoyed, but the plain releases from SA, BM, and the host of others have been pretty flat on my palate.  

Woodford and Old Forrester. Even the 1920 is good to really good just sometimes. Generally it just doesn't do it for me. 

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I’ve never been able to get enthused with MGP bourbon as a stand-alone whiskey.  Have had some that are finished or mingled that I have enjoyed, but the plain releases from SA, BM, and the host of others have been pretty flat on my palate.  

What he said.

Interesting on the woodford. I despised the double oak but enjoy the regular just fine. Agree on the WSR and EWBIB. Also not a fan of the underlying willett taste... usedto love rowans creek but after having the other bourbons from willett, there was this common taste that turned me off for good. 

Woodford, Michters, Old Forester, Beam, dickel. I can't fathom passing on Turkey, Trace, Heaven Hill etc for those ones. I've had some KC singles I really liked, but they're singles that didnt have the normal beam profile.

Count me as another who doesn't care for Woodford.  No personality whatsoever.

I'm not fond of Maker's Mark either but I love their Cask Strength.

Add another for Woodford.

I've also never been a huge fan of Weller Antique and WSR.  They make a decent cocktail, but I've never found them all that appealing on their own for my taste.

Outside of some private picks, Elijah Craig 12 year (back when it had the age statement) was also one that never really worked for me.

Beam products, except well aged KC SiB picks.  I find 12 yrs is the cutoff for KC.  I'll occasionally reach for Bakers, but not Bookers or OGD.

I'm not crazy about younger, grain forward whiskeys, either.  This takes out many of the crafters, most lower shelf bottles.  Honestly, there are only a handful of bottles less than 8 years I don't hesitate on.

Woodford has crept down the list dramatically.  The penny reference rings true.

Most finished whiskey is off my list, unless done very subtly.  Subtle, meaning can't tell its finished, at which point it might as well not be...  Exception is while smoking a cigar.  The cloying sweetness is pleasant with a cigar, but undesirable otherwise.

Anything from KBD just tastes like varying degrees of peanut to me, which is my least favourite bourbon profile. 

Edited by beasled

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

Beam products, except well aged KC SiB picks.  I find 12 yrs is the cutoff for KC.  

So you’re saying you like KC older than 12y ?

I find age doesn’t mean as much to me as avoiding the peanuts flavor. 

Most of the old KC bottles I’ve tried have been delicious. 

Great topic!

Heaven Hill wheaters. Barely could finish the Larceny and RY10 I had. It’s more perplexing when someone posts that they can’t find Weller and then gets a few responses recommending HH wheaters. They taste nothing alike to me. 

Almost anything finished or blended with something sweet. Magnus (sorry, Nancy), HWYKY, Alberta Dark Batch, Michters (is it the American Whiskey that’s blended with sherry? It’s been a while.) I find the finish on 1792PF to be mild enough that I like it, but usually marry it 1:1 with 1792FP. One benefit is that I learned this and was able to leave HWMWND on the shelf whenever I saw it. 

And... SAOS. I have some 7’s left that I bought when it was going away. Also have several 10+ y.o. SiB of both high and low proofs that are tucked away. Finally I have a bottle of the rye, regular not the SiB. No desire to open them any time soon. So many people like them however that maybe I’ll try them when all my favorites don’t taste right and I need a fix for an off palate day. 

Anything from Barton. Haven’t had much luck with Dickel or KBD but willing to give them another shot.

Bourbons from Jim Beam just doesn't seem to be in my wheelhouse, including Bookers, Bakers, and Knob Creek.  Wild Turkey is generally a miss for me as well, but I do like some of the Russell's Reserve Single Barrels I have had lately.  

37 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

It’s more perplexing when someone posts that they can’t find Weller and then gets a few responses recommending HH wheaters. They taste nothing alike to me. 

I agree that they are nothing alike. I tell people to grab MMCS if they can't find OWA. While I dont feel they're interchangeable, I do believe they carry common characteristics. 

Woodford (anything), Wild Turkey (anything), OGD (most of the time although I don't hate it), Baker's, Henry McKenna BIB, Basil Hayden's, 1792 Small Batch and Single Barrel (but I like the other expressions), Eagle Rare (except for some store picks that are off-profile), Maker's Mark (nearly everything they make), Town Branch, Wathen's, Wyoming Whiskey, Weller SR, Weller 12, and most rye whiskies, although I like high rye bourons....go figure.

Edited by silverc

OF1920 is another one for me. I was hoping to like it based on the reviews and the 1890 (?) but it just didn't do anything for me. Same for OF100. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.