2018 batches of Michter’s 10?

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone been trying the 2018 Michter’s 10 batches lately? I am in general a bit of a Michter’s hater, and haven’t liked the 2015-2017 batches that I have tasted. But I have been hearing that the 2018 is an improvement over those. I’ve still passed on M10 a few time recently but I’m starting to wonder if I should consider grabbing one. Would welcome any input

Haven't tried the 2018, but I continue to pass it up if/when I see it.  I too have read some more positive talk about this year's release, but don't have any real hard information.  I bought a bottle say 5-10 years ago at $75, and it was just fine, but nothing remarkable.  I recall thinking at the time that it did not really do more for me than EWSB (all around 10 years old at the time), ER10 or EC12, all of which were readily available around $30. 

Now that the price of M10 is low/mid $100's at best, I simply can't justify it.  But I do admit to thinking about it.  YMMV as to whether to take the plunge at what is sure to be well over $100 for 94.4 proof 10 year old bourbon of unknown provenance.

• I like it 2

Being so totally self-effacing, and being so kindly toward my fellow man (Oooops: 'fellow person', I should say); I'm doing my best to help humanity in general (and Bourbon Taters in particular) by carefully leaving every single solitary bottle of Michter's I spot: entirely un-purchased.    So, on my death bed, I'll have that going for me.....

• I like it 4

I haven't had any of the earlier batches, but I got a M10 earlier this year, which I assume was 2018. It was very good. I think it was about $110, which is a price point that gives me a bit of pause in terms of getting another. But if I see one at retail again I will probably buy it. It tasted older than 10 years, closer to what I expect a 15-ish year bourbon to taste like. I'm a fan of oak / drier / older bourbon in general and to be honest there isn't a great selection of that currently, so I understand the pricing.

While something like ER10 is also 10 year age stated, it's not really on the same level in my opinion. Though I do like ER10 and think its a great value. Comparing most things over $50 or so to ER10 makes them seem like a bad value, but I don't tend to operate like that. I have / buy more whiskey than I really drink, so it generally makes more sense to spend more money on something I'll appreciate more, even if it is a worse value. Sort of like a $10 burger at a nice restaurant, it's certainly not as good of a value as a double cheese burger from McDonalds, but I'm going to enjoy it more.

Edited by EarthQuake

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, Richnimrod said:

So, on my death bed, I'll have that going for me.....

...which is nice.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.