BDanner

Old Forester Brand Bitters

BDanner

Old Forester offers several different styles of bitters on their website. Has anyone tried any of these and what was your verdict?

Harry in WashDC
56 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Old Forester offers several different styles of bitters on their website. Has anyone tried any of these and what was your verdict?

Hhhhmmm.  Never seen/heard of them until now.  I do note that one cannot tell what "it" is by its name.  For example, the Oleo-Saccharum is a lemon oil/sugar/lemon extract concoction.  I also note that a 2 oz. bottle is $8.50 and that the recipe for "Traditional Punch calls for 1.5 oz. of OF Sig, ONE oz. of O-S bitters, 2 oz. of water, and 0.5 oz. of lemon juice.  Should be called the Traditional Pucker and not just for all that lemon in there.B) OTOH, I note that "glycerine" is not used as a thickener or a base or a filler, not that there is anything wrong with glycerine.

BUT THEN, my experience tells me not to reject them; I bought a travel set of The Bitter Truth bitters on impulse and found that I liked how several of them worked in some cocktails, and the OFor bitters just might . . .  Hummingbird and  Smoked Cinnamon, in particular, are intriguing although I don't know yet just which cocktails I'd use them in.

BDanner
2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhhmmm.  Never seen/heard of them until now.  I do note that one cannot tell what "it" is by its name.  For example, the Oleo-Saccharum is a lemon oil/sugar/lemon extract concoction.  I also note that a 2 oz. bottle is $8.50 and that the recipe for "Traditional Punch calls for 1.5 oz. of OF Sig, ONE oz. of O-S bitters, 2 oz. of water, and 0.5 oz. of lemon juice.  Should be called the Traditional Pucker and not just for all that lemon in there.B) OTOH, I note that "glycerine" is not used as a thickener or a base or a filler, not that there is anything wrong with glycerine.

BUT THEN, my experience tells me not to reject them; I bought a travel set of The Bitter Truth bitters on impulse and found that I liked how several of them worked in some cocktails, and the OFor bitters just might . . .  Hummingbird and  Smoked Cinnamon, in particular, are intriguing although I don't know yet just which cocktails I'd use them in.

I kind of stumbled upon them. My bitters use is limited to dashes and drops, not ounces, so I should be okay. If I decide to try a couple, I'll report back here.

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

tanstaafl2
On 12/8/2018 at 11:49 AM, BDanner said:

There have been a few bitters under the Woodford name for awhile. I have tried the Cherry bitters but none of the others. Didn't know OF was releasing a set. The Bohemian bitters sounds like it might be similar to the Woodford cherry bitters.

Probably all coming off the same B-F manufacturing line...