What Rye Did You Purchase/Drinking (2019)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for sharing!  That's a great point - age is only one piece; I can see the NCF and mashbill pushing the New Riff over the top.  I hadn't thought about Pikesville - while older its the same price so adding that to my SBS lineup.  

Just finished off my little bottle of Pikesville from the sampler HH put out and it was fantastic, best of the bunch.

On 10/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, GaryT said:

Inspired by @JCwhammie, setup a blind SBSBS with Ritt BIB, Pikesville (brought down to 100 proof), and New Riff BIB.  It was fairly close between the New Riff and Pikesville for me, but I liked the Pikesville a bit more (had a little more depth on the palate, and sweetness).  Ritt was in 3rd place for the nose and palate.  I started with the New Riff and initially thought "This must be Ritt" as struck me as more like a barely-legal rye; when I moved to Pikesville I was confused thinking "Well THIS is more like a barely-legal than the first" - but just had a bit more depth and complexity.  When I got to Ritt - I was super confused as it seemed to me to have more rye spice on the nose (I guessed this was the New Riff).  I did guess the Pikesville, but it felt to me like the New Riff was closer to that than the Ritt.  I was glad to see that I liked the New Riff by a fair margin over the Ritt (while it came in 2nd, it was pretty close). 

Nice comapro Gary and a triple win as those are all nice pours. I am a fan of all three and find their profiles different enough and enjoyable enough to warrant keeping some of each on hand.

While not having blind tasted any of them I get the family resemblance in Pikesville and Ritt. The New Riff has always reminded me of WP10 which was my first rye and it set a certain bar that I am very happy to be reminded of in NR, not unlike the Pikesville/Ritt relationship, I attribute it to the 100% rye recipe.

• I like it 1

For the second half of the Skins game. Man they barely held on for their first win. Sad when you’re barely holding on for a win against the Dolphins.
IMG_3467.JPG

A friend went to KY for the past few days. He snagged me a bottle of this, which I've been wanting to try for a while. I asked if wanted cash or a bottle of Blanton's as payment. He took the Blanton's. We both came out happy. 

20191013_165902.jpg

• I like it 6

6 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

A friend went to KY for the past few days. He snagged me a bottle of this, which I've been wanting to try for a while. I asked if wanted cash or a bottle of Blanton's as payment. He took the Blanton's. We both came out happy. 

20191013_165902.jpg

A local group did a barrel pick of this - it's great! It rivals Willett's 4 year in my mind, both ridiculously good for the age.

15 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

A local group did a barrel pick of this - it's great! It rivals Willett's 4 year in my mind, both ridiculously good for the age.

Agreed. I tried this beside a 4yr Willett small batch rye yesterday. I found the WTrail to have more depth. 

I'm sure happy about these newer ryes that have barrel proof 105-115. Right in my wheel house! 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Agreed. I tried this beside a 4yr Willett small batch rye yesterday. I found the WTrail to have more depth. 

I'm sure happy about these newer ryes that have barrel proof 105-115. Right in my wheel house! 

alright, you convinced me.

Grabbed one today while driving through KY.  Same barrel.

2F8C8680-36B7-4A71-98A0-CCB01EC6F67B.jpeg

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, 0895 said:

2F8C8680-36B7-4A71-98A0-CCB01EC6F67B.jpeg

Nice! I'm ready to hear your thoughts. 

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 1

2F8C8680-36B7-4A71-98A0-CCB01EC6F67B.thumb.jpeg.db54e140cee21afba5b067f821237ab7.jpeg

I’m excited to hear your thoughts.
  • I like it 1

Just got a barrel pick of the wonderful Wilderness Trail rye (15L21-3) at 116 proof. Can't wait to try it.

I can deadlift 2.5x my body weight, but I'll be damned if I can open that artificial cork on my KC cask strength rye tonight.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

I can deadlift 2.5x my body weight, but I'll be damned if I can open that artificial cork on my KC cask strength rye tonight.

The man I know with the most insane grip I’ve ever known is 60, has had two shoulder replacements, two knee replacements, and most of his body severely atrophied. He’s more of a Four Roses guy but he could probably rip the damn cork in half.

This RR SiB rye on a cube pairs perfectly with a cigar. Add a perfect porch sittin' afternoon, college football, and The Steeldrivers on the juke box and I have myself a perfect Saturday. 

20191019_155640.jpg

• I like it 2

It was a great weekend, so I decided to treat myself to something new.  

F09700D5-30E9-4FE4-850F-3A22241C54A1.jpeg.c198808bd8fd88c3c6c0fc5488fcd101.jpeg

That looks like a pricey bottle...was it worth it?

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

That looks like a pricey bottle...was it worth it?

It is delicious, so yes it was worth it.

• I like it 1

Manhattan with Pikesville and Cocchi Di Torino Vermouth.  Pikesville is so good for sipping, but it really takes a Manhattan into the stratosphere.

15C324DC-1AD9-467E-9756-C24EBF8FACCC.thumb.jpeg.1acf6dd1fdf641f32d741098a06023f6.jpeg

New store pick of Knob Creek rye has arrived at Dekalb Bottle House! I have no vested interest in the store but I did help pick the bottle. Weighs in at about 5 years, 4 months and 115 proof. Drinks easily at that proof but likes a drop or two of water as well. Nice mouthfeel with a nice caramel character in the back of the palate that flows into the finish. 

Also works nicely as a rye to introduce to a bourbon drinker.

• I like it 5

15C324DC-1AD9-467E-9756-C24EBF8FACCC.thumb.jpeg.1acf6dd1fdf641f32d741098a06023f6.jpeg

New store pick of Knob Creek rye has arrived at Dekalb Bottle House! I have no vested interest in the store but I did help pick the bottle. Weighs in at about 5 years, 4 months and 115 proof. Drinks easily at that proof but likes a drop or two of water as well. Nice mouthfeel with a nice caramel character in the back of the palate that flows into the finish. 
Also works nicely as a rye to introduce to a bourbon drinker.
I'll be in the minority and say the 5-6 year KC Rye picks are better than the 13+ year bourbon picks. I've yet to have any of these extra aged bourbon picks that weren't over oaked, but the Rye.... they've been on point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.