Tell Me About Wild Turkey

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Struck out on finding summer/fall 2018 Rare Breed. Has anyone seen it in their area?

Edited by Seasick Sailor

I would advise to stay calm on the new WT.  It’s not a mind altering upgrade, if an upgrade at all, despite the spec change.  There is a lot of hype that gets promoted in the bourbon world, and this is but another instance of that.  It seems every year there is a new “magic look for”.  4R and ME rickhouse, rack and rickhouse this-that-or the other,Deatsville,Sarah...hypehypehypehypehypehype...WTwas good, is good, and with the Russell’s taking care of the line...will be good.  

• I like it 8

Decided to pass on a Mater's Keep 17 at $175. Might pick it up at a later time. But a local store has a bottle of 101 Rye that is calling my name. 

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Decided to pass on a Mater's Keep 17 at $175. Might pick it up at a later time. But a local store has a bottle of 101 Rye that is calling my name. 

That's not a very good price for Master's keep, retail was $125 I believe and it sold for a little less than that in some markets. 

• I like it 1

On 2/1/2019 at 11:48 AM, smokinjoe said:

I would advise to stay calm on the new WT.  It’s not a mind altering upgrade, if an upgrade at all, despite the spec change.  There is a lot of hype that gets promoted in the bourbon world, and this is but another instance of that.  It seems every year there is a new “magic look for”.  4R and ME rickhouse, rack and rickhouse this-that-or the other,Deatsville,Sarah...hypehypehypehypehypehype...WTwas good, is good, and with the Russell’s taking care of the line...will be good.  

This, what Joe said.

The thing about this WT code thing is that it brings for me something that has been missing in bourbonia these last few years, a bit of FUN!! It was fun to read/hear of something, in my case W12 for instance and then be able to stop into a LS, pretty much ANY LS, buy one for not a ton of $$, go home and experience something new and different. The current "market conditions" have taken the fun out of it for this enthusiast. Granted, over several years I have tasted around a very good portion of the bourbon wheel and had (almost) all my curiosities satisfied, some exceeded, some fell below expectations, but it was all available, affordable and yes, FUN!! 

WT is good, very good and an inexpensive and fun way to have a little bourbon adventure without lists, secret handshakes, promises of first born or whatever the latest ransom is being asked for the latest hyped boubon du jour, is to pick up a couple few different WT batches and taste through. Spoiler alert!! They will all be good, maybe you prefer 17 to 18 or Jan to Oct just keep it in perspective and above all, for not a lot of money you can hunt, FIND, and ENJOY!!!! When is the last time THAT happened??

slainte,

Kevin.

• I like it 5

That's not a very good price for Master's keep, retail was $125 I believe and it sold for a little less than that in some markets. 

MSRP is actually $149 if I recall correctly, and unfortunately that is usually what it sells for in most stores in my area. The lower prices that you find occurs in states that have big box stores and where Costco is able to sell liquor.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

MSRP is actually $149 if I recall correctly, and unfortunately that is usually what it sells for in most stores in my area. The lower prices that you find occurs in states that have big box stores and where Costco is able to sell liquor.

Did not realize that sorry, thanks for the correction.

Did not realize that sorry, thanks for the correction.

I’m the one that is sorry sometimes for living where I live and dealing with higher prices, but I am able to establish relationships that I wouldn’t be able to if I had to deal with a bunch of big box stores.
  • I like it 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, kcgumbohead said:

WT is good, very good and an inexpensive and fun way to have a little bourbon adventure without lists, secret handshakes, promises of first born or whatever the latest ransom is being asked for the latest hyped boubon du jour, is to pick up a couple few different WT batches and taste through. Spoiler alert!! They will all be good, maybe you prefer 17 to 18 or Jan to Oct just keep it in perspective and above all, for not a lot of money you can hunt, FIND, and ENJOY!!!! When is the last time THAT happened??

This sums up my thoughts exactly. I'm not going to pay a premium for certain date codes, but it adds a little fun to every trip to the liquor store. 

This week I picked up a bottle of 101 rye and RR10. The rye lacks complexity but is still a very nice sipper. I like the RR10 too, but not sure it's worth the higher price compared to 101. Still trying to track down a RRSiB. I think if it is essentially a higher proofed, NCF RR10, it will be fantastic. 

On 1/30/2019 at 4:32 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Did a recon mission at lunch. 

Yup.  Someone new has got the fever.  Too late to save this one.

• I like it 4

I haven't had a Rare Breed in years, so when the Pennsy state store put it on sale,  I jumped.   My stars,  that stuff is delicious.    Even with the glass empty,  I kept nosing fantastic aroma.  

• I like it 2

I've often thought about getting a bottle of WT 8 101 from abroad, but Eddie says that Kentucky Spirit is a minimum of 8 years.  So while it's a single barrel instead of a 1200 barrel dump, 8 year 101 is already on the shelves here.  

• I like it 2

On 2/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, Jackinbox said:

I've often thought about getting a bottle of WT 8 101 from abroad, but Eddie says that Kentucky Spirit is a minimum of 8 years.  So while it's a single barrel instead of a 1200 barrel dump, 8 year 101 is already on the shelves here.  

Four pages of all kinds of thoughts and opinions, and right here is the golden nugget.  Well done.  

• I like it 2

On 1/21/2019 at 9:28 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Has anyone done a side-by-side with summer/fall 2018 101 and early-2018/2017 101? Rare Bird wrote an article about how, because of the roll out of Longbranch, there was less 8 year old bourbon for 101 so the 2018 version contains more 10 year old bourbon than normal. 

If you haven't read the article, here it is: https://rarebird101.com/2019/01/15/wild-turkey-101-2018/

If you're looking to find this version of 101, look for bottle codes that start with GG, GH, or GI.

I have read the article and I have a couple of the LL/GH and they are great.  I have heard that GG, GH, GI are great also.  What about later ones like GJ, GK, GL, and newer?

Just got off the phone with my go-to local LS. They are ordering RRSiB for me. Said the price would be $61. Is that in line with what others are paying?

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Just got off the phone with my go-to local LS. They are ordering RRSiB for me. Said the price would be $61. Is that in line with what others are paying?

Usually it's $50-$55 here occasionally someone will have it for less on sale, most liquor stores have to pay a premium for splitting a case though, so if you are just getting a single bottle or less than 6 bottles it may bring the price up.

42 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That's about what it goes for here in Calif. K&L is now charging $65 for their RRSiB store picks. 

I usually get private selections (store picks) of RR for around $50 or less. So, that’s pretty high from my perspective, but all markets are different.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread I have been checking WT101 bottle codes. Total wine still had F codes and I found some HA codes at a favorite LS store last week so I checked behind them and found a couple of GK Bottles so I took them home. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.