Tell Me About Wild Turkey

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to the bourbon game. So far Wild Turkey 101 is one of my favorite bourbons at any price and far and away my favorite bourbon under $25. I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on Wild Turkey's products, its history, etc. 

Are there vintages you particularly like or dislike? LEs that you've loved or hated. Unicorns you're searching for? Let's discuss it here.

I'll start by saying that I am surprised by how much I enjoy Wild Turkey 101. I had always considered it a bottom-shelf liquor. If not for reading this forum and other blogs, I would have likely passed it up. Was this the case for anyone else? 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • I like it 1

WT101 has always been a solid pour indeed, it's still going strong, and arguably tasting even better these days. But get ready to be bombarded with annoying remarks and brown-paper-bag jokes when you mention your fondness of anything Turkey to the common folk. It's baffling how they manage to have such a bad reputation in the mainstream.

Also RR Single Barrel store picks were some of the best bourbons released last year in any category and price range. Never had a mediocre one.

• I like it 5

Everyone had a different palate so don't limit yourself.  I for one do not find WT 101 particularly tasty.  To my palate it is thin and hot.  But that's me and I'm not going to tell somebody that likes it that they shouldn't be drinking it.  There are things that I really like that other people may say MEH to.  That's fine. 

What do I like that I think you should try?  Any Buffalo Trace mash bill #2 (Hancock's President's Reserve, ETL, Blanton's, RHF), CEHT, KC SiB (especially the PS picks).  That's just a start.  There are as many taste profiles as there are people to drink it.  Enjoy it.  As I say, bourbon is an adventure, not a destination.

WT is putting out some great juice right now.  I admittedly didn’t care for their stuff at one time.  They have won me over though.  Go grab you some Russell’s store picks, a Rare Breed, & enjoy some more Turkey. 

• I like it 2

Rare Breed is at the top of my weekend shopping list. Can't wait to try it. Local LS has plenty of the 116.8 on the shelf. One will be coming home with me tomorrow. 

• I like it 3

Wild Turkey 101 is indeed reasonably priced & very common; but one shouldn't confuse wide availability and reasonable cost with low quality... definitely not in the case of WT 101!

WT 101 has been (with some measure of variability) a quite consistently high quality pour for a very long time... and I might add at very fair prices in my experience.    It isn't everybody's 'cup of tea' (so to speak); but neither is anything else, if we're being honest.    WT products are (in general) pretty bold, and often a spicy/sweet combination that not everybody appreciates.    Some think of it as 'unrefined' or 'uncomplicated'.    Some think it's 'too sharp'. 

Personally, I find it's directly in the center of my wheelhouse most of the time. 

So, if you like it... GREAT! 

It's not hard to find or fund!

• I like it 2

Somewhere deep in the archives is a post from my early days saying almost exactly what you are saying. I had always thought of it as cheap dive bar whiskey until I bought a bottle and had my eyes opened. It was a pivotal moment in my journey.

Don't get too hung up on 'vintages' as that requires buying on the secondary market which is risky.

As everyone has said above, you need to move through all the Turkey expressions. You will be a happy man when you do.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I had always thought of it as cheap dive bar whiskey until I bought a bottle

Funny thing is absolutely none of the dives that I am forced to frequent with my researcher minions carry it, maaaaaybe WT81 if I'm super lucky... A good pour of WT101 would easily elevate the quality of my outings with college kids.

• I like it 1

WT101 and OGD BIB are staples of life. Very affordable. Very plentiful. Very tasty. What's not to like about a bourbon that can be found in any LS in the country and is easy on the wallet?  Someday I would like to find an age stated bottle of WT101.

Edited by DCFan
  • I like it 6

You'll sometimes see people on here talk about the cult of 4 Roses. Which I may consider myself a member of, but if I'm being 100% with myself and everyone reading this I'm an absolute sucker for pretty much anything WT. 101 is as good as a flagship bottle as anything on the market. Like has been previously stated, the Russell's Reserve Single Barrell store picks and Rare Breed can hold their own with bottles much more expensive. As far as limited release, Decades and Revival are fantastic. I haven't had the other Master Keeps. I was fortunate to have a pour of WT Traditions last summer. It was my favorite to date. 

Although the first pour of any whiskey I ever had was of Jack Daniels and Coke at my father's wedding to my step-mother 42 years ago, I always think of my "first love" in the bourbon world as being WT101. Although I've had some batches that were certainly better than others over the years, I have to say for the most part it has been a consistent, reliable pour for as long as long as I've enjoyed it. I love Rare Breed even more, but 101 is like a solid, stable old friend. 

Any time I go into a bar just about anywhere in the country, if they have some 101, then I know it will be a good evening....

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

You'll sometimes see people on here talk about the cult of 4 Roses. Which I may consider myself a member of, but if I'm being 100% with myself and everyone reading this I'm an absolute sucker for pretty much anything WT. 101 is as good as a flagship bottle as anything on the market. Like has been previously stated, the Russell's Reserve Single Barrell store picks and Rare Breed can hold their own with bottles much more expensive. As far as limited release, Decades and Revival are fantastic. I haven't had the other Master Keeps. I was fortunate to have a pour of WT Traditions last summer. It was my favorite to date. 

Have you not heard of the Lawrenceburg cult? We have you covered my friend.

• I like it 4

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Edited by WhiskeyBlender

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I had always considered it a bottom-shelf liquor. If not for reading this forum and other blogs, I would have likely passed it up. Was this the case for anyone else? 

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Somewhere deep in the archives is a post from my early days saying almost exactly what you are saying. I had always thought of it as cheap dive bar whiskey 

Yep. Same here. I don’t think I gave WT101 a try until about 6 months ago AFTER trying and loving several RR picks and Rare Breed.

Now, I’m not killing myself to run out and snag the last few inexpensive W107 bottles my store currently has because I’ve got a new $20 bourbon I am perfectly happy drinking on a daily basis. (Although weather permitting I’m making that Weller run tomorrow)

Gonna go pour myself some 101 now as a matter of fact

Edited by Bob_Loblaw
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I want sure if it was a full blown cult. But since it is, I'm definitely drinking their version of the Koolaid! 

20190118_202524.jpg

• I like it 6

For some reason I seem to remember someone here once putting it this way:

Four Roses= “The Cult”

Wild Turkey= “The Flock”

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Man, where to start.  First, congratulations on seeing through a lot of the current BS and hype and focusing on what is on the bottle. Turkey certainly suffers from the ‘fraternity, biker, and rock n roller’ stereotype. Personally I think some of that stems from Jimmy sticking with 101 when everyone else was dropping proof on flagships. More on that later. 

Plug for a personal friend of mine but if you are contemplating a deep dive in to Wild Turkey, rarebird101.com is a must. 

To answer your question regarding 101, it has a lot going for it, especially right now. 

Per multiple interviews with the Russell’s, WT 101 is now batched with 7-10 year old barrels. WT goes into the barrel at 115 so not a ton of cutting to get it to 101. All this for $23. Jimmy Russell has been the master distiller since 1964 so he knows what he is doing. 

Another poster commented that WT is known for bold and big flavor and I agree. Somewhere along the line, ‘smooth’ got equated with ‘good’ and that didn’t do WT any favors. This is big, bold bourbon. Some don’t care for that. Not me. I love it. 

As far as where to go next, Rare Breed is next. After that try and find a store that has a barrel of Russell’s Reserve. 110 proof, NCF of Eddie Russell goodness. 

Enjoy the journey, let me know if I can help. 

• I like it 5

24 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

For some reason I seem to remember someone here once putting it this way:

Four Roses= “The Cult”

Wild Turkey= “The Flock”

Biba! Joe

I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, but you folks missed the perfect opportunity to follow ^ this up with a series of bird puns.

More seriously, I don't see any mention of the Kentucky Spirit. Resident experts care to comment on this? I haven't had enough of it to form a strong opinion.

Edited by Kane

I know this is the bourbon section, but if you’re going down a Wild Turkey rabbit hole, don’t forget to explore the rye side as well. WT101 rye is one of my staples. And Russell’s Reserve single barrel ryes can be awesome. 

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, but you folks missed the perfect opportunity to follow ^ this up with a series of bird puns.

More seriously, I don't see any mention of the Kentucky Spirit. Resident experts care to comment on this? I haven't had enough of it to form a strong opinion.

WTKS is a touchy subject for some...mainly due to Campari mismanagement in my opinion. 

I have had some WTKS that is stellar and I have had some that is basically 101 or not quite 101. 

From a consumers point of view (namely

me) Campari needs to offer me something for charging $35 more for 101 proof WT. Namely:

1). NCF

2). Barreled on date in addition to bottled on date

3). A better bottle than Rare Breed hand me downs which is what wtks is now being bottled in. 

At my local Total Wine, Russell’s Reserve (110 proof, NCF) and WTKS (101, CF) are both $59. That don’t make no sense. 

6459180D-29A8-4583-85EB-85BF4A5843EE.png

CDB61129-A4EE-468C-857E-0712A783ECD3.png

• I like it 1

What I think of WT 101?  My most consumed is OGD BIB.  My most desired that I can't get is HH BIB 6yr  (which is going away, anyway).  What do I buy whenever I see it?  VOB BIB because it is rare here.  What sits in the trash can by my TV chair right next to my OGD BIBWT 101 which I'm drinking right now.  What did I buy yesterday? WT 101 and WT RB 116.8 and OGD BIB.  What do I take fishing and have taken for over 20 years? WT 101.  I do not limit my bourbon drinking to these, but I will NEVER be without these (except the HH, of course).

• I like it 1

I'm becoming more of a WT fan all the time.  I didn't much like my first RR about 5 yrs. ago - maybe an off barrel?  Now I love it.  The 101 is always solid.  I just drank some Revival last night.  And my one and only foray into the secondary market was to get some 90's 12 year split label.  Delicious.  I'm in the 4R cult too, but sign me up for the flock.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I want sure if it was a full blown cult. But since it is, I'm definitely drinking their version of the Koolaid! 

20190118_202524.jpg

Our numbers may be small but we are fiercely devoted. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.