Watergate Bourbon Advertising Dish

mcj_1104
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi! I recently acquired an advertising dish for Watergate Bourbon. I can't find much on the bourbon.  Does anyone know which distillery made it and between what years? I know there's probably no way to date the dish, but I'm curious as to the background of the bourbon. Thanks!

received_599806423814022.jpeg

S couple of old threads pertaining to the whiskey:

The archives here are chock full o info.  :D

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

It appears to be from the famous Watergate Hotel in D. C.

Yes, I know that, I was just curious as to what distillery made it.  After posting this, I found an excerpt from an obituary from a salesman that actually gave a lot of history of it.

Yes - and I also found a great except about it in the obituary of Raymond "Pate" Buse: 

After attending law school at the University of Cincinnati for a year, he went to work full-time for the family business, the R.L. Buse Co., a whiskey brokerage firm founded by his father and headquartered in the Carew Tower Downtown. He also oversaw production and branding at the family's Old Boone Distillery in Meadowlawn, Ky.

Because of a lifelong fear of flying, Mr. Buse drove through all of the lower 48 states promoting various whiskey brands and custom-made labels for major hotels, resorts and country clubs, while he opted to stay at Howard Johnson's, his children said.

One of those sales calls took him to the Watergate Hotel in Washington, where he convinced the general manager to order custom-labeled bourbon for the hotel bar. After the news broke of the break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate complex, Mr. Buse - a Republican - could not bottle Watergate Bourbon and sell it to the Democrats fast enough, said his children.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.