Your favourite sub-100 proof bourbon?

BadDayBlack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, since my 2018 Weller Blend came in just a tick under the planned 100° I was shooting for (99.22°), I reckon......... ^_^

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, since my 2018 Weller Blend came in just a tick under the planned 100° I was shooting for (99.22°), I reckon......... ^_^

Biba! Joe 

Oh, Goody!   That hundred proof stuff is just too damned strong for me to enjoy!   Heeee-He!

• I like it 1

A couple of 94 proof 17yr olds come to mind: Vintage Bourbon and Jefferson's Presidential Select.

Also:

tax stamped Old Taylor 86 proof

the first release of High West Bourye

ETL GBS private selection from 2013

2008 EC 18yr

Edited by Vosgar

46 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

A couple of 94 proof 17yr olds come to mind: Vintage Bourbon and Jefferson's Presidential Select.

Also:

tax stamped Old Taylor 86 proof

the first release of High West Bourye

ETL GBS private selection from 2013

2008 EC 18yr

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, BadDayBlack said:

giphy.gif

Tax stamped Old Taylor = pre 1985 (?) whiskey

P1040919.JPG

P1070004.JPG

• I like it 1

Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 yr 99 proof. 

As others have mentioned sometimes you’ll get a sub 100 Four Roses or MGP pick however always variance w/ single barrels so I’ll stick w/ saos 7 as it was consistently offered at 7/99. 

THIS!!

Had some Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13yr at 90 proof last month at Jack Rose - incredible. Hard to really say based on one pour, but this would be a very strong contender in this category for me. PHC Promise of Hope is another one that wowed me in the sub-100 category.

As for more ordinary stuff, I have a bottle of RR 10yr open right now that I am really enjoying. I think the choices are much tougher when you specify sub-90 because there are a fair few good every day bourbons at 90 proof, but for sub-90 I can think of only a few I like much.

I will amend this and add an under the radar dusty. Seagrams Benchmark. Had an 86 proofer from 1983 that was fantastic. 

• I like it 1

I have a bunch OF SB picks, BT, Blanton’s, ETL, JD Black 8yr, RR10 yr, sure I’m missing something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 12:21 PM, Jazzhead said:

That's easy - Old Forester Statesman.    The perfect mashbill at the perfect proof.    

I always viewed OF Statesman as a gimmick because of the movie tie-in, but your comment and the 3 likes got me curious. Had a pour last night, and was impressed. I like the standard OF100 fine, but Statesman amps up the flavor and complexity while mellowing the acetone note. Very enjoyable. Thanks for the nudge!

Edited by dad-proof
typi
  • I like it 1

I can’t even believe I’m about to say a couple of these honestly...  

OF1910 (weird saying it for some reason)

Blanton’s (cliche sounding)

ETL (ditto)

ECSB PS’s (buy every one I see)

I can’t even believe I’m about to say a couple of these honestly...  

OF1910 (weird saying it for some reason)

Blanton’s (cliche sounding)

ETL (ditto)

ECSB PS’s (buy every one I see)

While I’ve purchased, yet to try the OF1910 I don’t see anything wrong with this list. ETL and Blanton’s are way overhyped but Blanton’s under $60and ETL under $40 fits perfectly into this category.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

While I’ve purchased, yet to try the OF1910 I don’t see anything wrong with this list. ETL and Blanton’s are way overhyped but Blanton’s under $60and ETL under $40 fits perfectly into this category.

It’s just that I think they’re definitely overhyped, & here I am admitting that I’d still take them over many of things.  Feels like I’m eating crow lol.  The 1910 beside them being relatively new just looks odd to me.  

I feel good about the lineup though.  I’d add some BT store picks to that list.  Some I’m meh on, but I’ve grabbed a few that were very unique & enjoyable.  That same opinion goes for Eagle Rare as well.  Not big on it, but I’ve had some very good store picks. 

I don't understand how a spirit can be "cliche."  It's a whiskey.  It's something you drink.  

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

I don't understand how a spirit can be "cliche."  It's a whiskey.  It's something you drink.  

I take him to mean that Blanton’s and ETL have become so ubiquitous on peoples lists of great bourbons, at least partially due to their scarcity, that they have lost their grandeur to the point they are a mere cliche on any list.  I think there is probably another word that fits better, but I can’t come up with it!  :D

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

You’re reading way too much into it...

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I take him to mean that Blanton’s and ETL have become so ubiquitous on peoples lists of great bourbons, at least partially due to their scarcity, that they have lost their grandeur to the point they are a mere cliche on any list.  I think there is probably another word that fits better, but I can’t come up with it!  :D

I still can’t think of one. ;)

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.