A New Rant Against Corked Bottles

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've never had a bad experience with corks, personally, I think it's "classy".  Just my 2 cents...

• I like it 1

I've had more than 'a few' corks 'fail'; but, that is over a lifetime of popping and re-corking Bourbon (and other) bottles; and, some of those bottles were stored "long-term".   

Just to the point of reliability: I've only had one plastic cap "fail" as opposed to maybe around a dozen corks bite the dust.    I've also had exactly one cork that added a "taint" to the distillate beneath it, and it wasn't undrinkable; but wasn't pleasant. 

Just a little personal experience to add to the conversation around reliability; but, not about the question of satisfaction with the uncorking (!POP!) of a bottle as opposed to the somewhat anti-climactic unscrewing of a plastic cap.

• I like it 1

Wouldn’t want to see one on a bottle of GTS, but for my daily drinkers... give me a screw top every time.

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 4

I’ve also had a few nice drinking glasses “fail” when I carelessly knocked them over or dropped them. Shatter into a million pieces. Still, I would never dream of switching to plactic. There’s just something about being “classy” when I’m drinking a nice Bourbon and I feel the same way about cork vs screw cap. 

• I like it 1

I like the rationale after reading the article. Maybe a screwcap with a disposable cork inside is the answer.

9 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I've never had a bad experience with corks, personally, I think it's "classy".  Just my 2 cents...

Ive had one or two bad cork experiences, but I have a drawer full of corks from bottles long gone and can always find one to replace it.  I too think they are classier than screw tops.  I am definitely not a fan of the metal screw tops on the new W12 and OWA.

[ASIDE - Methinks a "search" hereon will reveal several old threads on corks vs. screw vs. natural vs. artificial, etc., BUT that doesn't mean I will sit idly by.]

AHEM!!  When OGD BIB switched from orange screw cap to artificial cork stopper, a Sage known here on SB as Squire responded, "Ah, Poop."  I agree with the sentiment.  I LOVE the old orange screw cap and even to date decant new, artificially corked OGD BIB into an orange screw top.  WHY?  Because the screw top makes no noise when the bottle is opened and because orange is easier to find in the dark among all the other bottles.

All that said, fatter corks like on EC or OGD 114 and A.Smith Bowman releases bother me because they don't seem to seal well once they are opened.  Some others, like on RHF and similar fancy bottles, "feel" like the corks are picked at random rather than because they "fit".  Aluminum screw caps, however, drive me crazy generally because they are usually TOO thin and fragile to seal properly.  This happens a lot with wines so I keep Saran Wrap (or equivalent) on hand to improve the seal when aluminum is the cap.

SO, based on my subjective experience, plastic screw caps are best (especially if they have some kind of cap liner inside), artificial corks are second best, regular small corks are third best, and large corks are fourth best (if they are well-fitted),

BUT!!

cheap, thin aluminum caps like on cheap wines and B/S JBW or BIB or Campari DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!   SPEND TWO MORE CENTS PER BOTTLE AND GIVE US A DECENT CAP!!

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Edited for spacing, spelling and profanity-removing.
  • I like it 3

I didn’t know about the cork issue, I have some Jack Daniels Sinatra stored on the side, thinking I was supposed to keep the cork wet. Do you guys think I’ll have a problem? I guess the only way to find out is to open a bottle......It’s been about two years.

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

I like the rationale after reading the article. Maybe a screwcap with a disposable cork inside is the answer.

Highland park has something like this on some bottles 

y4mPRoB25u1Hx-XBus0GyAN0F0PlD_Cyi-4Px0wPy4mLqMiSixmYHtqeherrvGN3jtb63xnnW7aN4LtL

4 minutes ago, schwoo said:

I didn’t know about the cork issue, I have some Jack Daniels Sinatra stored on the side, thinking I was supposed to keep the cork wet. Do you guys think I’ll have a problem? I guess the only way to find out is to open a bottle......It’s been about two years.

I think chances are you will be fine, I have an EC BP that was for some reason upside down in it's tube for who knows how long and it was fine. 

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Highland park has something like this on some bottles 

y4mPRoB25u1Hx-XBus0GyAN0F0PlD_Cyi-4Px0wPy4mLqMiSixmYHtqeherrvGN3jtb63xnnW7aN4LtL

Dang it..One of these days I'll be ahead of the curve on a great idea.

That top pretty much solves this whole problem. 

ECBP is the only one I ever had a bad leak problem with. Had two bottles in the trunk and in the 1/2 hour ride home I lost about an ounce in bottle. The plastic grocery store bag had a bunch of liquid when I picked it up. The bottle still had the plastic seal around the cork but the cork was so loose it wouldnt seal.

6 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Dang it..One of these days I'll be ahead of the curve on a great idea.

That top pretty much solves this whole problem. 

I'd prefer artificial cork, but I remember opening this botte and thinking there was some genius to it.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

ECBP is the only one I ever had a bad leak problem with. Had two bottles in the trunk and in the 1/2 hour ride home I lost about an ounce in bottle. The plastic grocery store bag had a bunch of liquid when I picked it up. The bottle still had the plastic seal around the cork but the cork was so loose it wouldnt seal.

Yeah, I too had a bottle of ECBP batch 11 that had a loose cork that leaked out about an oz. of the precious elixir.  Replaced it with an OGD 114 cork.  No problems with any of the new style bottles with non composite corks....

I don't get the cork obsession.  Give me the most reliable seal for the bottle.  I kind of like the screw tops.  It reminds me of my dad and his friends when they drank.  I was disappointed when HMcK BiB went to a cork.

• I like it 4

I pay $20 for not-on-sale family sized Skyy vodka. We cook with it. It has a metal screw top with plastic insert. Solid, firm, reliable seal. There’s no reason more expensive whiskeys do not have better seals. 

In my humble opinion, a leaking cork seal is best cured by using a couple of glasses and making a pour for you and your friends, putting the cork out of its misery.

• I like it 1

I despise the natural corks.  I like the way High West makes theirs though.  Nothing worse than a dry cork flaking and dropping into the liquid.

I prefer the rubber/plastic ones.  The Japanese are smarter on this front with their screw tops.

When I have a dry or broken cork, I used a vacuvin.  Keeps a seal for a good time.

Guess I’ve been lucky. I’ve only had a couple of cork issues in my life. I shrugged them them off as aberrations. Count me in the crowd that loves that sound when a cork comes out of the bottle. Synthetic is just fine too. Screw top is fine but I do hate the metal screw caps. Damn you Weller.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:35 PM, Clueby said:

And the first thing I thought was . . . Did you drink the leaked EC?

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

And the first thing I thought was . . . Did you drink the leaked EC?

HA..no I didn't drink it out of the plastic grocery bag! There was probably close to an ounce. My trunk smelled amazing though.

• I like it 2

I like screw caps, those of us that have been drinking bourbon for 20 plus years I'm sure have had corks break. I've never had a screw cap fail. I do understand the "classy" side of the argument, but if I want to keep a bottle of Wild Turkey RR 10y bourbon for my grandsons wedding, I want to know that I can open it that day with out having to filter out the cork after 10 minutes of trying to push it in. 

• I like it 1

It's so much easier to just unscrew the cap. After I pour it in the glass and drink it, What difference does it make that it was a screw cap or a cork?

Edited by ebo
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.