Single barrel or small batch?

bingo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious, what do you prefer, small batch or single barrel. I like small batch for the consistency.

There is a lot of craft and science in maintaining the flavor profile of a small batch whiskey and the majors do a pretty good job of it. On the other hand, single barrel offerings can be the best examples of a particular mash bill and aging practices. I like them both and have examples of both in my collection of bottles.

Somebody here has a tagline that goes something like "every bottle is its own education" and that person is correct in my book. If you hang out here long enough, you'll find that most of us happily pay the tuition fees.

• I like it 4

I agree with Grunt. My favorite pours right now come from various RRSiB bottles. But I also enjoy many small batch (KC, RR 10yr, ER10) and large batch bourbons (I'm looking at you, WT101, BT, and HH6yr 90 proof). 

It really just depends on what my mood is, what I'm doing (grilling out or watching a movie), and the people I'm with. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Postal Grunt said:

Somebody here has a tagline that goes something like "every bottle is its own education" and that person is correct in my book. If you hang out here long enough, you'll find that most of us happily pay the tuition fees.

Fortunately I'm still maintaining a Whiskey budget lower than college tuition prices ;) 

• I like it 2

This question can't really be answered because it's not a matter of one being inherently better than the other. It's not an either/or situation. There are plenty of batched bourbons out there that taster better than some single barrels. Some single barrels suck. There are also plenty of single barrels that absolutely smoke the majority of batched bourbons. Each bottle, regardless of origin, stands on its own merits and is subject to the individual preferences of the taster.

• I like it 9

Sometimes you want an orchestra. 

Sometimes you want a guitar solo.

• I like it 8

Fortunately I'm still maintaining a Whiskey budget lower than college tuition prices [emoji6] 

I think that depends on what college you’re talking about. I’ve seen all those “what did I purchase today” posts you’ve made. [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

9 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I think that depends on what college you’re talking about. I’ve seen all those “what did I purchase today” posts you’ve made. emoji6.png

I’m gonna say with all due sincerity that Kevin is probably not involved with the current college admission scams. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

I end up with small batch more often than not.  I have some favorite single barrels (e.g., FRSB) but have had some hit or miss some other products.

5 hours ago, flahute said:

This question can't really be answered because it's not a matter of one being inherently better than the other. It's not an either/or situation. There are plenty of batched bourbons out there that taster better than some single barrels. Some single barrels suck. There are also plenty of single barrels that absolutely smoke the majority of batched bourbons. Each bottle, regardless of origin, stands on its own merits and is subject to the individual preferences of the taster.

Well stated.. I generally prefer higher proof single barrels, but for the reasons aforementioned it’s not a holdfast rule.. 

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m gonna say with all due sincerity that Kevin is probably not involved with the current college admission scams. ;)

Biba! Joe

No kids as far as I know and considering that I commuted to a state school and finished 18ish years ago I'm guessing I'm in the clear ;) 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

No kids as far as I know and considering that I commuted to a state school and finished 18ish years ago I'm guessing I'm in the clear ;) 

LMFAO! Priceless. Although I have to confess I know exactly what you mean. During my time in the Army from 1974-1980,  Uhhh, never mind..  :ph34r:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I prefer 4R PS offerings to either the SmB or basic SiB.  Other than those, I am more dependent on availability and taste and, therefore, pay little attention to: "Is it SmB or is it SiB?"

That’s not exactly fair Harry as most of the PS bottles are of higher proof or age. Or maybe that was the point you were making? :) 

• I like it 1

On 3/21/2019 at 1:28 PM, The Black Tot said:

Sometimes you want an orchestra. 

Sometimes you want a guitar solo.

Very well said, @The Black Tot

• I like it 1

A lot depends on your palate and the distiller.  I love KC SiB, especially the PS picks.  I'm also a huge fan of 4R SmB. 

I can’t be the only one thinking “what the hell is small batch”. I don’t mind bourbon blended form numerous barrels to get a consistent flavor profile. I really don’t. In fact I consider it a mainstay to the bourbon industry but to call something “small batch” and give absolutely zero details on what exactly that means is just another way to charge a higher price while offering very little in return to the consumer.  As such I prefer the Single Barrel just because I know what it is.  

13 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I can’t be the only one thinking “what the hell is small batch”. I don’t mind bourbon blended form numerous barrels to get a consistent flavor profile. I really don’t. In fact I consider it a mainstay to the bourbon industry but to call something “small batch” and give absolutely zero details on what exactly that means is just another way to charge a higher price while offering very little in return to the consumer.  As such I prefer the Single Barrel just because I know what it is.  

In truth there is no TTB definition of a single barrel at this point and the definition of what a single barrel is might not always be what you think it is for instance if two leaky barrels were dumped into a single barrel and bottled a couple years later is that a single barrel?  Woodford Double Oaked comes to mind as one that has been labeled a single barrel for store picks but I find doubtful that is is in the traditional sense for 1 it is a blend of Pot and Column still bourbon are they blending before barreling, this I don't really know maybe someone else does. 2 if they have a low fill barrel they are dumping into the 2nd cask are they topping that off with another barrel or leaving it low fill?  I agree that Small Batch is a dopey catch all marketing thing and would guess that most Single Barrels are just what they are implied to be but there is no requirement for enforcing that term.

See the source imagea

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

This..I've always interpreted it to mean "we used fewer but better barrels for this blend" but then what the hell do I know.  FR isn't doing me any favors either with their upcoming Small Batch Select; exactly what does that mean?  I intend to get a bottle of both just to see how much of a difference, if any, I can taste.

I was always thought that small batch meant "more than 2 barrels, but less than 200". :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Paddy said:

Is GTS a single barrel or small batch? ;)

not a single barrel, & they're pretty big batches now

6 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

not a single barrel, & they're pretty big batches now

I wouldn’t agree with this. Just a couple/2-3 hundred barrels for even the largest releases, of which only 50% or less is maintained after the glutinous Angels slop up they share.  :D  This is still a very small batch of whiskey each year.  

• I like it 1

^^^Yep... and we even know what it is, as the spec sheet is included in every case (and posted all over the interwebs). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.