High West Re-Visited

hawkeye62
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been a fan of High West Double Rye and Rendezvous Rye for some time. I like the high rye, ryes. I just bought a bottle of the Rendezvous Rye and it seemed much better than I remembered. So, I checked the website. The Rendezvous Rye is now a blend of 4 to 7 year old 95/5 MGP and High West 80/20. And I also notice that the Double Rye is a blend of the same stuff except it is  2 to 7 years old. No clue given as to which is 2/4 and which is 7. I am guessing that the MGP is 7 and the 2/4 is the High West distilled stuff. Anyway, I think this is a big step forward for High West, not dependent on dwindling stocks of other distillers make. And as they get more age on their own make, the whiskey can only get better and better. (JMO)  

Regards, Jim 

• I like it 1

My preference is still the older bottles/batches, but it was nice of you to post your thoughts. 

I did recently drink a 2018 Double Rye that was weirdly average one night, and delicious the next. 

My freinds drank the hell outta it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of the new blends. The 16 year old Barton dried up years ago. 

17 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Not a fan of the new blends. The 16 year old Barton dried up years ago. 

Any idea when? I have a RR with the code 16D13 I have yet to open and have been curios what if any vintage Barton Rye might await me. The back label mentions only 2 "exotic ryes" without specifying what exactly that means, very mysterious!!

7 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Any idea when? I have a RR with the code 16D13 I have yet to open and have been curios what if any vintage Barton Rye might await me. The back label mentions only 2 "exotic ryes" without specifying what exactly that means, very mysterious!!

They changed the label in 16. 

• 1 month later...

I found a slew of 375ml bottles with a 13J code and bottle numbers on them. Am I to assume this is the blend that has the lions share being 16 y/o Barton?

5 hours ago, Supercharger said:

I found a slew of 375ml bottles with a 13J code and bottle numbers on them. Am I to assume this is the blend that has the lions share being 16 y/o Barton?

It was always a blending component and most would say a the smaller end of the split so not the lions share.

13 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

It was always a blending component and most would say a the smaller end of the split so not the lions share.

Gotcha. I knew they stopped using it all together in 2018 and replaced it with their distillate, still mixing with MGP. What I though was that 2014-2017 had a small share of 16 year Barton. Prior to 2014, I thought it was a noticeably greater amount. I thought I’d read somewhere that those 2013-before were quite a bit better than the transitional or modern iterations of Rendezvous Rye. 

For a 2013 sitting on a shelf, it may be worth a go to do SBS with a 2017 version and a new release just to see. 

1 minute ago, Supercharger said:

Gotcha. I knew they stopped using it all together in 2018 and replaced it with their distillate, still mixing with MGP. What I though was that 2014-2017 had a small share of 16 year Barton. Prior to 2014, I thought it was a noticeably greater amount. I thought I’d read somewhere that those 2013-before were quite a bit better than the transitional or modern iterations of Rendezvous Rye. 

For a 2013 sitting on a shelf, it may be worth a go to do SBS with a 2017 version and a new release just to see. 

I think it would be a worthwhile investigation for you for certain.

On 5/17/2019 at 3:00 PM, Supercharger said:

I would definitely pick one up to try.

My "expert" consultation services are also, always available.

:)

• 4 months later...

I think their own 80/20 distillate is actually using malted rye as the 20% and not barley. So..isn't that technically a 100% rye?

On 9/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, Clueby said:

I think their own 80/20 distillate is actually using malted rye as the 20% and not barley. So..isn't that technically a 100% rye?

Unless I misread the thread the MGP component is still 95/5 which is 5% malted barley.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Unless I misread the thread the MGP component is still 95/5 which is 5% malted barley.

Sorry...I meant that just the HW portion is 100% rye. I understand that other components are varying rye mashbills.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.