The Oldies, The Dusties & The New Glut Era

Hansene10
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let’s face it:  At some point, the music you loved in your 20s and 30s will be considered the oldies. The oldies you loved will be considered ancient history.  And you’ll consider 99% of all new music to be absolute crap. 

Is the “oldies effect” happening to bourbon?

Your dusties are now considered ancient history (ND, WT 8/101, OF DSP-414).  The bourbons you loved in your 20s and 30s are now considered “semi dusties” sought after by hip kids (Bookers, Noah’s Mill wax tops, WFEs, OGD Orange Caps, older BTACs).  And you think 99% of all new bourbon, which is beloved by younger generations, is absolute crap.

Humph....kids these days. If they only knew....

Maybe 2000 - 2013 will be considered the “new” glut era of bourbon. A time when even cheaper, bottom-shelf bourbons contained older whiskey and were better than they are today. Or maybe I’m just getting old. Discuss..... 

The one that immediately pops to my mind, I'm sipping right now:  Evan Williams Single Barrel.  The vintages on the shelf in your window of 2000-2013 absolutely destroy the current juice.  It's almost like a different product.  It used to be a giant killer and on everyone's "best value" list, but now it's just a pretty good bourbon with an age statement, but nothing to write home about.

• I like it 2

Agree. I have a few from new glut era and I’m  opening them slowly. They used to be 10+ years old and delicious. 

I don't believe 2000-2013 was a new glut. It was the tail end of THE glut. 

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Kepler said:

The one that immediately pops to my mind, I'm sipping right now:  Evan Williams Single Barrel.  The vintages on the shelf in your window of 2000-2013 absolutely destroy the current juice.  It's almost like a different product.  It used to be a giant killer and on everyone's "best value" list, but now it's just a pretty good bourbon with an age statement, but nothing to write home about.

It does indeed show the age... BUT, that age is waaaayyy under the previously expected 10-years.   

And, your comment about it being, "nothing to write home about" is absolutely spot on. 

I used to take a flyer on one or more of the 'Vintages' as they came on shelves in my area, seeking an exceptional barrel; then, once having found one (and that tended to happen every third or fourth try) I'd scoop up several more from that barrel for the bunker.   I haven't 'taken such a flyer' in several years, as the ratio of mediocre ones went waaayyy up over a period of a year or 18-months. 

I still have few left from a couple of the better ones; but when they're gone; Oh, well.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.