I’m in Dublin- what should I drink?

evasive
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As suggested by the title, I’m in Dublin this week, leading up to a wedding on the weekend. What should I look for, and what should I try to bring back to the States? Obviously my priority is focused on whiskey not available at home.

Irish is a blind spot for me. I know my scotch, and have been reacquainting myself with American whiskey over the last 5 years or so. I’ve had Redbreast 12 at home, have a bottle of Writer’s Tears open in my hotel room, and plan to bring home a Connemara 12 since I imagine the peat puts it in my wheelhouse. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jameson Crested is a superb Irish whiskey that is not sold in the US.

• I like it 2

The Writer’s Tears  “Red Head” is awesome.

• I like it 1

Go to Teeling and try whatever cask selection(s) they have available at the distillery. It is generally something pretty good!

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, evasive said:

As suggested by the title, I’m in Dublin this week, leading up to a wedding on the weekend. What should I look for, and what should I try to bring back to the States? Obviously my priority is focused on whiskey not available at home.

Irish is a blind spot for me. I know my scotch, and have been reacquainting myself with American whiskey over the last 5 years or so. I’ve had Redbreast 12 at home, have a bottle of Writer’s Tears open in my hotel room, and plan to bring home a Connemara 12 since I imagine the peat puts it in my wheelhouse. Any suggestions appreciated.

I personally like Connemara but a couple of points worth considering since you are limited in what you can bring back, first at least here Connemara 12 is fairly available, second they use the same Peated malt as many other distilleries which isn't to say it isn't it's own thing but it isn't earth shatteringly different from other things you've likely had.

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Go to Teeling and try whatever cask selection(s) they have available at the distillery. It is generally something pretty good!

THIS.  I was in Ireland last year and only brought home two bottles, and by far my favorite was a Teeling single cask distillery exclusive.  They sell tastes at their bar (or if you do the tour it includes a few on whatever they call their 'top flight' tour).

Also if you've got time, the Jameson Distillery Bow St had barrel proof Jameson Black Barrel.  I almost bought a bottle, but it was our first day so wanted to pace myself.  Again, only offered at the distillery.  I'm not a huge Jameson fan, but the barrel proof put it much more squarely in my wheelhouse.  

Thanks for the suggestions, all. My time was limited since I’m here for a wedding and was in the party, but was able to visit the Teeling distillery and taste a flight. Their “fill your own bottle” setup in the gift shop is a neat idea, but I didn’t think it was worth the premium. I’m bringing home a personalized bottle of their current distillery exclusive as a groomsman’s gift.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. My time was limited since I’m here for a wedding and was in the party, but was able to visit the Teeling distillery and taste a flight. Their “fill your own bottle” setup in the gift shop is a neat idea, but I didn’t think it was worth the premium. I’m bringing home a personalized bottle of their current distillery exclusive as a groomsman’s gift.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.