Colville bourbon

OnyourMark
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought a 375 while in Orlando for vacation earlier in the year. Just didn’t feel like paying$20 for a 375 of MM when I could get a 750 for $24 back home. I think I paid $13 for a 375 of this. Wasn’t horrible but young.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, OnyourMark said:

Anyone had this?  Aged 5 years.  Walmart has for $20.  Thanks!

I'm presuming this is an 86 proof offering as that's what the online pics and comments say.

I think it is a product (but NOT a distillate) of Florida Caribbean Distillers, LLC.  FCD is a privately owned company founded in 1943.  It used to be called Florida Fruit Distillers.  According to Bloomberg.com, it offers citrus juices, some distilled spirits, sugar cane products, rum from its Puerto Rico distillery, and some flavored (i.e., infused) wines.  It operates primarily in the wholesale marketplace and sells in bulk to other labeller/sellers.  According to ttb.gov, its “Colville” label for its straight whiskey was approved in Nov 2015.  The label indicates that the whiskey was produced in Kentucky but is a product of Florida.  FCD does have a bottling plant in Florida, but I don’t know if the whiskey was bottled there.

Depending on the online sources referenced, FCD lists its business address as being in Winter Haven, Lake Alfred, or Auburndale, FLA.  Since these are all within five or so miles of each other, I expect they could ALL be correct addresses.

None of the dozen or so reviewers/bloggers I browsed expressed a firm opinion on WHICH Kentucky distillery may have provided the spirit for the product.  And if Marshall has tasted it and didn't express an opinion other than it tasted young,  I'm not going to guess, either except to say that Barton in Bardstown does produce 86 proof Very Old Barton in huge amounts and Heaven Hill produces huge amounts of 86 proof for its flagship Evan Williams.  BOTH VOB 86 and EW (Black Label) 86 are about $8 a 750 cheaper than Colville AND are bargains at that about $12.

If it were my $20, I'd spend it on one of those.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

I did find my original impressions and noted a smoky and musty profile.

• I like it 1

Thanks for the replies.  We were trying to figure out who the original distiller was and could not find any info.. ...a buddy picked one up for bourbon night.  It does taste young.....I  prefer Wild Turkey 101 for $20.

• I like it 1

On 6/8/2019 at 11:10 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

I'm presuming this is an 86 proof offering as that's what the online pics and comments say.

I think it is a product (but NOT a distillate) of Florida Caribbean Distillers, LLC.  FCD is a privately owned company founded in 1943.  It used to be called Florida Fruit Distillers.  According to Bloomberg.com, it offers citrus juices, some distilled spirits, sugar cane products, rum from its Puerto Rico distillery, and some flavored (i.e., infused) wines.  It operates primarily in the wholesale marketplace and sells in bulk to other labeller/sellers.  According to ttb.gov, its “Colville” label for its straight whiskey was approved in Nov 2015.  The label indicates that the whiskey was produced in Kentucky but is a product of Florida.  FCD does have a bottling plant in Florida, but I don’t know if the whiskey was bottled there.

Depending on the online sources referenced, FCD lists its business address as being in Winter Haven, Lake Alfred, or Auburndale, FLA.  Since these are all within five or so miles of each other, I expect they could ALL be correct addresses.

None of the dozen or so reviewers/bloggers I browsed expressed a firm opinion on WHICH Kentucky distillery may have provided the spirit for the product.  And if Marshall has tasted it and didn't express an opinion other than it tasted young,  I'm not going to guess, either except to say that Barton in Bardstown does produce 86 proof Very Old Barton in huge amounts and Heaven Hill produces huge amounts of 86 proof for its flagship Evan Williams.  BOTH VOB 86 and EW (Black Label) 86 are about $8 a 750 cheaper than Colville AND are bargains at that about $12.

If it were my $20, I'd spend it on one of those.

Huh, I didn't know FCD had any whiskey. Time to go and pay some tuition to the local distillery...

5 hours ago, jwperry said:

Huh, I didn't know FCD had any whiskey. Time to go and pay some tuition to the local distillery...

Well, they may have some, but I don't think they made it themselves.  OTOH, their TTB app does identify them as FLA DSP 1 so if you visit them, find out (1) are they making, (2) if so how long, (3) regardless of 1 & 2, how's their rum?

Well, they may have some, but I don't think they made it themselves.  OTOH, their TTB app does identify them as FLA DSP 1 so if you visit them, find out (1) are they making, (2) if so how long, (3) regardless of 1 & 2, how's their rum?
They don't have a gift shop or walkin customer area, best I can tell. The plant is huge though and I drive by it when going from my house to the in law's.
Only rum I know they bottle is Cruzan. I don't think they distill it though.
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, jwperry said:

They don't have a gift shop or walkin customer area, best I can tell. The plant is huge though and I drive by it when going from my house to the in law's.
Only rum I know they bottle is Cruzan. I don't think they distill it though.

While waiting for my English muffin to finish toasting (char #2 B)), I did some more looking at FCD.  Although their website never fully loaded for me, I did find some cached pages on their "brands" elsewhere.  Apparently, they are a HUGE distiller at the FLA plant you drive by and at their Puerto Rico plant, all of which seems to be from molasses.  Some reports put their output in liquid volume up with the major whiskey distillers, but I could not find hard numbers.  In addition to their long term contract to supply rum to Cruzan (a Beam Suntory subsidiary BTW), they have contracts with other bottlers and sellers, including cruise lines, to produce distillate (mostly rum-style), finished rums, flavored rums, and some liqueurs under private labels.  They also make something called "other orange wine" for sale in bulk to makers of something.  (Further research stopped here; my muffin needed buttering, so I didn't go look up "other orange wine".)

Colville is not their only whiskey product - "Kentucky's Old Reserve" is a KSBW but sold directly by them.

Recently (last five years), they've started selling their own rum under the Don Carlos label.  Some other brands they listed are Minski Vodka, Sonovavitch Vodka, ShxtBall Sangria Wine, Deauville Triple Sec, Club Caribe rums, and Florida Old Reserve Rum.  Now I know why they are FLA DSP #1; they've been making rum there since 1943.  Never heard of them before.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

While waiting for my English muffin to finish toasting (char #2 B)), I did some more looking at FCD.  Although their website never fully loaded for me...

I always get the same issue when reading up on them, but assumed it was my work server blocking their website. Our filter for "Alcohol/Bars" is weird; I can view this site as well as others with the name of various spirits in the address, but I can't visit the Disney Food and Wine festival pages. ?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.