Knob Creek age statement coming back and other news

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Two of my faves, and it appears they'll stay that way.  With these and OGD BIB, I'll be in Heaven.  As long as VOB 100 is still around.

• I like it 1

My advice?   Don't get too excited just yet kidz. 

I have every reason to respect this decision; but, also no reason as yet, to imagine that the same quantities of 9-year-age-stated KC will consistently be sent around the nation/world that are currently being circulated... not to mention the private pix.   I hope that's what will happen; but only time will tell.

Also, a small caveat.... Will the return of the 9-year statement be accompanied (or followed soon enough) by a price increase?    Hmmmmmmm.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

My advice?   Don't get too excited just yet kidz. 

I have every reason to respect this decision; but, also no reason as yet, to imagine that the same quantities of 9-year-age-stated KC will consistently be sent around the nation/world that are currently being circulated... not to mention the private pix.   I hope that's what will happen; but only time will tell.

Also, a small caveat.... Will the return of the 9-year statement be accompanied (or followed soon enough) by a price increase?    Hmmmmmmm.

Well, we are talking about Beam so fair point on pricing. 

I have long been a Knob Creek fan.  While I prefer an age statement, I enjoy the NAS version and to be honest I haven't really noticed much difference.  I just hope the restored age statement doesn't result in a significant price increase.

As for the change of Baker to single barrel, I have mixed feelings.  I think it will create the opportunity for some stellar store picks and regular bottles but it will also increase variability due to barrel variability.  Sometimes small batch isn't a bad thing.  I kind of wish they would go the route of EC where it remains small batch but opens up to single barrel store picks.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

The problem I see with Baker's is that they're doing the same thing they did with Booker's a couple of years ago.  In that, the stocks here in the motherland all went 'on sale', so the shelves were cleared.  The lack of product on the shelves now sets them up for the new release, and new price!   Just like groundhog day, all over again! 

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

The problem I see with Baker's is that they're doing the same thing they did with Booker's a couple of years ago.  In that, the stocks here in the motherland all went 'on sale', so the shelves were cleared.  The lack of product on the shelves now sets them up for the new release, and new price!   Just like groundhog day, all over again! 

Paddy,  this is interesting because I have seen a few recent sales on Bakers which I thought was odd but , now that you point it out, I see a method to the madness.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

As for the change of Baker to single barrel, I have mixed feelings.  I think it will create the opportunity for some stellar store picks and regular bottles but it will also increase variability due to barrel variability.  Sometimes small batch isn't a bad thing.  I kind of wish they would go the route of EC where it remains small batch but opens up to single barrel store picks. 

Agree, well said. I too would prefer small batch, having been left underwhelmed by many a single barrel in recent years.

The only problem with Baker’ at the moment is that it is $8-$16 too high. 

Baker’s should (IMO) be priced right around HM10 and 4R100. I generally keep an open bottle around.  It is  one of the best Beam expressions considering Booker’s at a fair price. 

Over $50 is a reach now. Increasing inconsistency with out adding Baker’s to the barrel program (so I have heard) plus a price increase??? Beam trying to kill the brand??

PS. In my opinion, 7 yrs 107 proof is a sweet spot that is hard to get wrong. Beam taking a crack at that I guess ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Edited by Mako254
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

That was my first thought after reading the article; the local grocery and chain stores have all put KC on sale recently. I thought it was a nice opportunity to grab a few for the bunker, but I'm now suspecting that these previously $30 purchases will likely be north of $40 when the age statement comes back. 

My current favorite "fancy" pour is their Single Barrel Reserve, coming in right around $50, which has an age statement. I'm assuming and hoping the small batch will occupy the price space just below that and not cause an increase on the SBR pricing. 

My local LS has had knob creek for 19.99 for the past couple months.  I'm guessing Beam is running some kind of promotion with so many sales being seen lately.  A few liquor stores around me have WT101 for $14.99... I'd imagine it's the same story with them. It's a good time to like Bourbon! Maybe the boom slowly is dying down?  Fads are fads... It 100% won't last forever.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BrokeCal said:

My local LS has had knob creek for 19.99 for the past couple months.  I'm guessing Beam is running some kind of promotion with so many sales being seen lately.  A few liquor stores around me have WT101 for $14.99... I'd imagine it's the same story with them. It's a good time to like Bourbon! Maybe the boom slowly is dying down?  Fads are fads... It 100% won't last forever.

With those early 2000's pricing it it time to LOAD UP!  Even if the boom disappears, it will be hard to match those prices. 

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Changed my mind
  • I like it 1

• 7 months later...

Nine year old Knob Creek returning? I'll believe it when I see it on a store shelf.

1 hour ago, CorvallisCracker said:

Nine year old Knob Creek returning? I'll believe it when I see it on a store shelf.

I just received a bottle for my birthday and will try to remember to post a picture tonight. 

42 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I just received a bottle for my birthday and will try to remember to post a picture tonight. 

Funny about this - Today I was picking up some OGD BIB (now $23 here) and saw a new label age stated 9YO KC for $24.  Passed as I have plenty from when it was $19-21.  Baker's 107 age stated 7YO was on sale last Summer and Fall at around $49 and became somewhat hard to find especially at under $60, and I anticipated its demise or corruption.  Several places the last 2 weeks have had lots of Baker's at $55-50.  I have fewer Baker's than KCs so I picked up one @ $49 (!) along with the OGD just in case.  Now if Beam would replenish its BIB (which is MIA), I'd conclude that Beam caught up to The Boom.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Now if Beam would replenish its BIB (which is MIA), I'd conclude that Beam caught up to The Boom.

I measure Beam's adaptation to the boom in Booker's.

When it's $60 or less and 7yrs+, Beam has caught up.

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I measure Beam's adaptation to the boom in Booker's.

When it's $60 or less and 7yrs+, Beam has caught up.

This is a good measure, too.  I think Paddy, last week on another thread(?), mentioned a $60 threshold before he starts buying again, and I mentally adopted it.  I saw one store with a "special" price of $64, but most here are still above $70 although the $80+ are rare now.  Maybe another year or so?  OR a financial panic?:mellow:

23 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This is a good measure, too.  I think Paddy, last week on another thread(?), mentioned a $60 threshold before he starts buying again, and I mentally adopted it.  I saw one store with a "special" price of $64, but most here are still above $70 although the $80+ are rare now.  Maybe another year or so?  OR a financial panic?:mellow:

I think the march of the Russell's Reserves and even Stagg Jrs are starting to prove to be stiff competition. Even their own MMCS is a competitor at $55. Beam has done really well with selling the idea of $300+ limiteds but they can't gain traction in the 80-150 range. Baker's 13yr at 100+ is a mistake, imo. It was a good idea at $70.

And the 300 price tags have been contingent on having Booker's distillate involved, of which who knows how much is left?

Booker's is younger than Stagg Jr, if the stories of SJr being 7-8yr are true. And BT distills the mashbill for Stagg Jr for the vast majority of the year. 

Booker's isn't exactly loitering on shelves in most markets, so they don't have to act, YET. But all these micros coming out with 10yr cask strength MGP are all Booker's alternatives. If they can get THEIR prices down to $60 a bottle (and they are probably motivated to sell because I imagine that early investors are wanting to see some return on investment), Booker's will have to come back down to earth if it doesn't want to get left behind.

But you can't sell what you don't have, and the fact that Booker's releases are still in the 6s shows that they're not there yet with the volume. 

I know that Booker's is distilled to the lowest proof of all the small batch collection, and I vaguely remember it comes from mid-level rack house floors, but are they limited like Blanton's to a few unique-characteristic warehouses? I'd hate to think that there's a serious Blanton's-like bottleneck that would mean that Booker's isn't as present in the coming bourbon tsunami...

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Well, well. I wonder how long it will take it to reach Oregon.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny about this - Today I was picking up some OGD BIB (now $23 here) and saw a new label age stated 9YO KC for $24.  Passed as I have plenty from when it was $19-21.  Baker's 107 age stated 7YO was on sale last Summer and Fall at around $49 and became somewhat hard to find especially at under $60, and I anticipated its demise or corruption.  Several places the last 2 weeks have had lots of Baker's at $55-50.  I have fewer Baker's than KCs so I picked up one @ $49 (!) along with the OGD just in case.  Now if Beam would replenish its BIB (which is MIA), I'd conclude that Beam caught up to The Boom.

Harry those are great prices. I like both the old 7 and my new 8.5 Bakers is even better. For now the novelty of the new bottle is bring a premium in my local market. The OG114 is bring north of $30 and I just didn't appreciate it enough before the price run up, so I don't have stacks in the bunker. Hey, I've got an idea for a new reality show. WHISKEY HOARDERS 

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Harry those are great prices. I like both the old 7 and my new 8.5 Bakers is even better. For now the novelty of the new bottle is bring a premium in my local market. The OG114 is bring north of $30 and I just didn't appreciate it enough before the price run up, so I don't have stacks in the bunker. Hey, I've got an idea for a new reality show. WHISKEY HOARDERS 

It is my favorite store, but other than the OGD BIB @ $23 which has been consistent, the other prices are the best they've had for over a year or even two, depending on the brand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.