Where do the bottles go after a bar is seized

birdie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently a pretty nice micro brewery, restaurant and bar near me closed, as in seized through non payment of taxes, literally there are plates and half empty glasses on the tables. So my question is what happens to all opened bottles of high end bourbon that this bar has, there was Pappy on the shelves, multiple BT collection etc etc. Plus I am guessing 500 gallons of really nice beer in the process of being brewed.

Does it get sold off?

The open stuff really has no value. I would think the owners would take it.

I agree that most of the "good stuff" probably left via the back door before the place was locked up.  However, I would assume that once closed, the primary lender or bankruptcy trustee has probably changed the locks to protect assets.  Obviously, open bottles can't be sold so if the previous owners didn't take them, it wouldn't be surprising for them to disappear by other means.  I bet the beer in the tanks gets dumped.

A large chain in Indiana (brewer) who overextended and added too many retail restaurants has recently shuttered all locations, except for the original brewery.  They had done some bourbon barrel picks.  They were labeled.  I wonder if the unopened bottles will be bought at auction and sold retail by whoever gets the lot.  

Makes sense that the "good stuff" has the left the building, as they knew this was coming.

Sham about the beer as they had 3 or 4 regular beers that were very good.

10 minutes ago, birdie said:

Makes sense that the "good stuff" has the left the building, as they knew this was coming.

Sham about the beer as they had 3 or 4 regular beers that were very good.

I don't know the particulars of the micro brewery you are speaking of but it seems like - at least in Indiana - a lot of micros try to build on their popularity by expanding too rapidly.   I am not certain of the bankruptcy and/or alcohol laws in your state.  Maybe someone will be able to purchase the beer.  However, even if they could, I wonder if they could market it under the previous name.

I believe (in Michigan, at least) the remaining opened bottles of liquor ALL are expected to be dumped, and the unopened liquor is inventoried to set value and remunerations.   ...Whether that is exactly what happens all the time, is, of course, an open question.     I believe this is pro forma whenever a tavern changes ownership for any reason.

• I like it 1

I guess we’re not too legal down here. One of the biggest whisk(e)y bars closed it’s doors and sold off all of the open bottles— using a ruler and literally charging by the inch of remaining liquid.

Not my cup of tea. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.