A dream come true. Up for debate: A dream well lived?

dmarkle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So my boss texts me the day before yesterday.

"[redacted company] is taking us out to the Jack Rose tomorrow.  It's going to be an amazing time, but I can't go.  You should go."

Of course, being the Jack Rose, maybe the best (?) bourbon and whiskey bar in America (?) (the world?) I respond with glee.  As many of you may know, the Jack Rose Dining Saloon in Washington, DC is the subject of many an article, many a discussion -- probably the most epic collection of dusties I've ever seen, and everything else from here to the shores of Scotland and beyond lining its walls.

Upon arrival, I approach the bartender.

"SO...  What are the ground rules here?"

"Carte blanche."

"Carte blanche?"

"I've never done an event like this but yes."

"Is that the Old Rip Van Winkle 23 year old barrel proof special edition decanter over there!??!"

"It's $600 a glass."

I could tell with that last comment that he was a bit reticent to push the "Carte Blanche" thing that far, and I let it lie, because truth be told, I don't much care for the PVW 23, and although I love me some fine old wheaters, I can't really say that this particular issue was really worth escalating to our gracious hosts.

So I go for the older, out of production stuff.  "How about the Very Special Old Fitz 12 year from the 80's?  It's not BIB but hey..."  That was the first.  Sublime, nutty, deep, with brown sugar and toasted butterscotch.  This is the stuff.  Absolutely delicious.

I decide to go older in time and younger in whiskey with the next choice, and with my faithful bartender's help, I go for the 7 year Old Weller Antique gold vein (I guess from the '70's).   Great profile, but it had a bit more of a cherry/citrus thing going on.  Still all of the depth in the world.  Absolutely sublime.

The third drink.  I just throw my hands up and tell the bartender that I am on a journey, and he is my guide and that I will faithfully follow any direction this sherpa of the Everest of whiskey takes me.  He brings out something I've never seen before.  A Commonwealth Distillery Nathan Stone's 105 proof, I think from the '70's, special Japanese release!  I'll never see its like again, I'm sure.  Incredible stuff.  Not as deep and dark as the Old Fitz and Wellers, but crisp and with a delicious woodiness that I could have described better had my wife not drank up half my pour.

Last call came quick, but I still made it worthwhile to me.  What do you think?  Did I make good choices?  What would you have done in my position?

An experience I shan't likely forget soon.  Cheers!

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

• I like it 6

IMHO, anytime you get the opportunity to try things you'll most likely never see again.....you can't go wrong. Hopefully you enjoy whatever you choose, but the experience should be fun and exciting, and it sounds like yours was!

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.