The vacation check list

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So Amy and I are getting ready for our annual trek to Destin. We usually pack all we need for all things adult beverages. Trying to find what we need or want at a reasonable price is nearly impossible. So hear is what we take:

-Tanguery gin

-tonic

-limes 

-cranberry juice

-hard setzers 

-beer

-wine

-vodka, she wants this in her bloody 

-Mellow Corn, for Mellow Mary's

-bloody mix

-beau monde spice

-celery and holyshitfire bitters

-garlic stuffed olives 

-jalapeno stuffed olives

-celery salt

-EWSB '11, for sipping

-Maker's 46, for sipping

- AND, bacon...the Mary ultimate garnish

So, this is what we pack, mainly because we have the room and the inventory on hand. Do any of you guys/gals pack all of your own alcohol and accompaniments?

Yes, but you are way more advanced than I am! I bring a whole bunch of 100ml samples when I travel. Refill the empty bottles with leftovers of something I bought if needed. 

8 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Yes, but you are way more advanced than I am!

+1!

Being the simpleton I am, bringing more than one bottle of whiskey is about as extreme as I get

My vacation check list usually consists of a "mental" list of liquor stores to visit while traveling and at my destination.  

• I like it 3

Yep, doing this right now for next week. I'm light on the bourbon on this trip but will pass through KY so there is opportunity for more...

Its a big group and a week long stay, so I'm contributing:

- Case of Prosecco

- 2x Aperol

- Campari

- Cynar

- Ramazzotti Apertivo

- Luxardo Bitter Bianco

- Fiorente Elderflower 

- Limoncello

- Branca Menta

- Cachaca 

- Foursquare Probitas rum

- Parce 12 year rum

- Elijah Craig SmB Binny's Pick

- Knob Creek Barrel Strength Rye, Binny's pick

- 1.75 Jack (so old the label is different than what is sold today, but I don't really drink JD anymore)

- Johnny Drum

- 1.75 Tito's vodka (for others)

- Stiegl Radler

- Paulaner Lager

- Bitters

Can you tell I like my Spritz? Will probably pick up some mule mix in KY. Counting on someone else to bring gin!

I try not to take anything on vacation, that way I will have whatever is there and it will forever remind me of that time. 

Once went to an all inclusive in Mexico and all they had was JW Black, so now whenever I sip on that I think of Mexico. 

But I do admire those that prepare in advance!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, a little bit of everything…

IMG_1751.thumb.jpg.e7e703e9d85d62af920a7e612b9020b9.jpg

IMG_1752.thumb.jpg.e59ccf8f51bdac434d6c1d9aa2b541b4.jpg

Just that?  After reading your exploits over the last couple years, I was thinking something like this...  :D

78304BD8-166F-4B6C-AE31-BD4211A2AFC4.jpeg

• I like it 6

When the wife and I go to Vegas, we always plan the alcohol as it's waaaaaaaaaaay more cost effective to pregame than to buy drinks on the strip.  Bonus for getting exactly what I want.  We usually bring:

1 case champagne

2 bottles orange juice

3 bottles of bourbon so that I have variety

13 minutes ago, Shizzy said:

When the wife and I go to Vegas, we always plan the alcohol as it's waaaaaaaaaaay more cost effective to pregame than to buy drinks on the strip.  Bonus for getting exactly what I want.  We usually bring:

1 case champagne

2 bottles orange juice

3 bottles of bourbon so that I have variety

This is a good pro tip because Vegas is so alcohol friendly you can pretty much drink your own booze anywhere without any hassle. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Just that?  After reading your exploits over the last couple years, I was thinking something like this...  :D

78304BD8-166F-4B6C-AE31-BD4211A2AFC4.jpeg

It's a much more elaborate kit if I'm driving, but otherwise it's beneficial to keep everything TSA friendly.

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes, a little bit of everything…

IMG_1751.thumb.jpg.e7e703e9d85d62af920a7e612b9020b9.jpg

IMG_1752.thumb.jpg.e59ccf8f51bdac434d6c1d9aa2b541b4.jpg

@Marekv8, I love the "black medicine bag" full of samples. Very well done! ?

• I like it 1

On 6/27/2019 at 9:43 PM, mbroo5880i said:

My vacation check list usually consists of a "mental" list of liquor stores to visit while traveling and at my destination.  

This, and I like to bring along a big cooler, and a small cooler.

Small cooler has soft drinks, water, and ice - for in the car.

Big cooler I will fill with ice from ice machine at my destination.  Then I'll use it for local beer, and other drinks, and perishable food.

I always try and remember to bring extra aspirin/Tylenol.  :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I always try and remember to bring extra aspirin/Tylenol.  :P

Biba! Joe

Yup - just fillin' the aspirin jar with Excedrin and Naproxin Sodium (500ml) right now.  We're gettin' ready to head down to the Point Judith Ferry dock and ride over to Block Island on the 1 o'clock with the grandbabies for the week of the 4th.  Hope SWMBO packed up the bourbon (hope, hope)!   I know she already put her scotch in the car . . . . . . .  ?

All y'all have a happy 4th of July and stay safe.  ?

• I like it 2

The only thing I pack is a 375 of Knob Creek. It’s my go to on the road and it ensures I’ll have something nice to sip. Since we generally will eat out, I will try and get a good pour at a restaurant or bar. 

I rarely do mixed drinks, unless I am in the NOLA area. Then I seek out the perfect Sazerac. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, beasled said:

I try not to take anything on vacation, that way I will have whatever is there and it will forever remind me of that time. 

Once went to an all inclusive in Mexico and all they had was JW Black, so now whenever I sip on that I think of Mexico. 

But I do admire those that prepare in advance!

Every time we travel to the Caribbean,  we buy a bottle of bourbon at the duty-free shop at the airport. Those AI's in the Caribbean are notorious for sticking bottom shelf bourbon.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Those AI's in the Caribbean are notorious for sticking bottom shelf bourbon.

Right. We were in Jamaica last December. Their bourbon was Kentucky Tavern. Yuck!?

• I like it 1

Right. We were in Jamaica last December. Their bourbon was Kentucky Tavern. Yuck![emoji2961]
Going to Jamaica and ordering bourbon is like going to a fine steakhouse and ordering chicken!
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.