Bardstown Bourbon - Fusion & Discovery Series

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody know anything about the new releases from Bardstown Bourbon Company?  Better yet, anyone tried them?  Think they will be available in the near future and not really sure  I want to pony up without more information.

Google will tell you more, but Fusion is 60% their 2 year old distillate and 40% a  year sourced bourbon at $60.  Discovery is all sourced and is a blend of  75% 11.7 year (presumably the same batch as whats in fusion)  5% 13 year, and 10% each of a 10 year and 5 year at $120.   

Initially I thought they sounded pretty cool, but upon further reflection and looking at the information online I am not so sure.  Hate to say this, but I think I would rather go buy a bottle of Confiscated (which, to my dismay, was surprisingly good) then fire a shot on the Discovery.  Any input would be great. 

A coworker had a friend ask him about these and send pics. I think he was in Illinois. I did some looking into it. The Fusion didn't get great reviews and is around $60 for a blend of their own 2 year high and low rye bourbons and some 11+ year sourced. The Discovery got decent reviews and had sourced older bourbon in it but it's around $130?! They seemed to play on that "orphan" theme that they "discovered" these barrels. Also had a Reserve for around $130 that is wine-finished Dickel. Don't think I will be going out of my way for these any time soon.

download_20190820_184043.jpg

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

A coworker had a friend ask him about these and send pics. I think he was in Illinois. I did some looking into it. The Fusion didn't get great reviews and is around $60 for a blend of their own 2 year high and low rye bourbons and some 11+ year sourced. The Discovery got decent reviews and had sourced older bourbon in it but it's around $130?! They seemed to play on that "orphan" theme that they "discovered" these barrels. Also had a Reserve for around $130 that is wine-finished Dickel. Don't think I will be going out of my way for these any time soon.

I agree completely. I was in Bardstown in June when these had been released and tried them at the distillery. I wasn't impressed with the Fusion. It was disjointed. The Discovery was clearly better, and I did like it, but not nearly enough to shell out $130+tax for it. I'm looking forward to seeing what else Bardstown Bourbon Co. puts out in the future, but I fear anything nice will be in the GTFO category pricing-wise.

Hold off on the whiskey.  Definitely, try the restaurant.  

• I like it 4

I hope they sell them, and funnel the profit into distilling ever more bourbon.

But these would need to be about half price for me to get involved.

That's fine, I'm not their demographic.

When the dust settles on the new levels of production, I hope BBC's business model doesn't require this kind of pricing into the future, because the majors are going to have lots of excellent, well-aged bourbon at the half price mark I mentioned above, or below (once the competition starts to hit). And they aren't going to be taking any prisoners.

• I like it 4

I have zero interest in any of that. It's clearly priced to take advantage of new drinkers brought in by the boom. 

• I like it 5

The last two posts have stated most of my views on these 'releases'.   I DO hope BBC does well with their projects, and makes plenty of money to fund the distilling and aging of their own Bourbon(s).   That's where my interest lies. 

I completely understand the need to get as much cash into the front end as soon as they can, and assume these types of 'releases' will continue as long there are enough cash-cow-taters, and/or curious enthusiasts to turn 'em over.  The requirements of whatever financial commitments have been made won't forgive much, so this simply must be done while there own well-supplied, self-distilled 'line-up' matures.    And, I imagine these projects will continue well after they have their pipeline full and are sending 'mass quantities' (of hopefully tasty and reasonably priced Bourbon) to market... as long they generate the big profits.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, flahute said:

I have zero interest in any of that. It's clearly priced to take advantage of new drinkers brought in by the boom. 

This. Seems to be aimed at taters willing to pony up big bucks to have these first. My cheap ass wont go near it - just doesnt make sense to pay that kinda money for this. Ill stick to my $40-45 14 yr KCSB.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Ill stick to my $40-45 14 yr KCSB.

All things considered the signs point to these not lasting for ever so certainly worth getting while the getting is still good.

I’ve tried them both and they are very average. I wouldn’t buy a bottle. 

• I like it 1

Found one on the shelf and then found a couple reviews online. Didn't read like it was worth the $88 so I didn't go back and scoop it!

Thanks as always.  I will be passing and grabbing a few staples that I have run out of recently.  Rare Breed, 101Rye, possibly an ER or ETBiB. . . . 

• 1 month later...

Reviving this one as a new option has come into market.  Bardstown Collaboration.  Its an 11 year MGP bourbon finished for 20 months in Apple Brandy Casks.  Quite frankly I would be more excited about the chance to pick up an 11 year MGP.  Maybe that is what is drawing my attention this time. Then again, it could be a sub par batch of MGP that they decided to dress up with a finish.  I am generally not a huge fan of finished bourbons.  I recall enjoying Revival and would buy a bottle if  I saw one at a reduced price.  Did not love last years PHC.  Thoughts?

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Reviving this one as a new option has come into market.  Bardstown Collaboration.  Its an 11 year MGP bourbon finished for 20 months in Apple Brandy Casks.  Quite frankly I would be more excited about the chance to pick up an 11 year MGP.  Maybe that is what is drawing my attention this time. Then again, it could be a sub par batch of MGP that they decided to dress up with a finish.  I am generally not a huge fan of finished bourbons.  I recall enjoying Revival and would buy a bottle if  I saw one at a reduced price.  Did not love last years PHC.  Thoughts?

Big pass for me. 20 months seems like a really long time for a finish. I’d be nervous about how strong the finish is which points to the possibility you raised of trying to cover up some subpar barrels. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.