Gilbey’s Spey Royal music box

evasive
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I vaguely remember my grandparents having this on a shelf. I’m visiting my parents and Beam decanters came up in conversation. My grandmother collected them. My dad and uncle got rid of dozens after they passed. Anyway, Dad remembered another decanter in a closet, which turned out to be a Dancing Scot music box bottle.

I doubt the whisky is that good, but it is age-stated. The vogue for single malts is relatively recent, even for Scots. If you’ve read Whisky Galore, you’ll remember that all those bottles are blends. Maybe I’ll open it after I inherit the bottle, but I’m not sure cracking the seal for what is likely mediocre whisky is worth it. The music box and dancers still work. Fun find. I did a web search to learn more about them, but of course the results were all questions about value and auction listings, neither of which I care about.

IMG_2713.JPGIMG_2712.JPG

• I like it 3

Nice.  These curiosities are really fun.  Local deli near me had an old faht who bought their wines and booze.  ALL the shelving had NOT FOR SALE signs on all sorts of whiskey/whisky decanters lined up cheek by jowl on top, out of reach.  Some of them were SO garish and kitschy that I would have bought one or two just to p--- off the Spouse.  When the family sold the business and the wine buyer guy passed on to another plane (i.e., bought the farm, pushed up daisies, joined the long march, became ethereal, etc.), the decanters disappeared.  I occasionally wonder where they ended up.  I sure hope they weren't just thrown out.  BTW, did anybody out there buy one of those AK-47 Russian vodka decanters?  I kept looking at it and thinking, "Damn!  Some day, SOME body would be dumb enough to buy that from me."  But, being risk-averse, I passed.

My dad traveled to Russia and Eastern Europe quite a lot. They have a bunch of Russian and Ukrainian vodka decanters. Two from Ukraine are a mace and a dancing Cossack.

They did save these Beams, along with the NE centennial and AK and HI statehood decanters (places they lived).

UploadFile1568432645.382515.file

This reminds me of a bottle of scotch that my Grandpa had.  It had a hula girl in it.  I don't remember the brand or anything about it other than that.

I like these quirky old bottles, I have a Bols Gold Ballerina that came in a lot of decanters I bought, cork is broken so it's not a drinker (as if it ever was) but she still dances purty. 

y4mUofFnTItYtlwjbBILgDpPlhPaUXdOz_mWcJSt

y4mRS28I_uV0MEdFyY3fVT_YVCb3UNXi-7f0aa_y

• I like it 1

Honestly, if I ever opened this one out of curiosity for 60s-era Scotch, I’d probably refill it for display.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.