Price point on a stave coaster (not for sale here)

Theantiquetiger2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like I said in title, they are not for sale on this site, please don’t ask. 

How much should I ask for a handmade coaster/cigar holder?  I am putting these for sale at my liquor/cigar shop. It includes the GlenCairn glass. 

Here is one, I still need to smooth/sand out and stain the glass hole and cigar holder. Plus I need to add the barrel band. 

Is $29.99 too much? The glass is $10 all day long. 

EynmBCA.jpg

Edited by Theantiquetiger2

What is your cost to manufacture, including your time?  The type of wood will also have an impact on the cost.  Pine or other soft wood is going to be the least expensive.  Poplar is going to be more expensive, oak a little more expensive than poplar and mahogany, cherry and walnut would be even higher.  That doesn't even get into exotic woods.  A lot of us already have a good number of Glencairns so we wouldn't necessarily need the glass.  You might offer them with or without the glass at two different price points.

It's hard to know if $29.99 is too much without knowing your costs. 

The wood are actual oak staves from a bourbon barrel.  It’s the scraps from making bourbon barrel cabinets. 

I bought a Forstener drill bit and superglue.  They are already stained and sealed from when I stained the barrel they came from. 

The glasses were $5 a piece when bought in bulk. 

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

What is your cost to manufacture, including your time?  The type of wood will also have an impact on the cost.  Pine or other soft wood is going to be the least expensive.  Poplar is going to be more expensive, oak a little more expensive than poplar and mahogany, cherry and walnut would be even higher.  That doesn't even get into exotic woods.  A lot of us already have a good number of Glencairns so we wouldn't necessarily need the glass.  You might offer them with or without the glass at two different price points.

It's hard to know if $29.99 is too much without knowing your costs. 

Oak will be more expensive than Poplar, but it won't be more expensive than Mahogany.

48 minutes ago, Theantiquetiger2 said:

The wood are actual oak staves from a bourbon barrel.  It’s the scraps from making bourbon barrel cabinets. 

I bought a Forstener drill bit and superglue.  They are already stained and sealed from when I stained the barrel they came from. 

The glasses were $5 a piece when bought in bulk. 

So your wood costs are basically zero, unless they get very popular and you have to buy another barrel.  Forstner bit is around $20 - $25 so that won't take too long to recover.  Stain costs are minimal and you've got $5 in the glass.  So you probably have somewhere around $8 - $10 in each one.  My opinion is that $29.99 is too high and you'll have trouble selling them at that price.  I would think something in the $15 - $20 range would be more in line.

• I like it 1

I just made 4 of these for my own use and spent about $60 for everything (wood, Forstner bit, polyurethane, felt)  Not counting any $ for my time I have about $15 in each one.  Of course the bit and the poly could be used to make more, if I intended to do so, just to give you an idea of how much they cost me.  I already have the glasses so there is no cost involved for them.

499043742_TRAY9.thumb.jpeg.7fa136996a7cb397ed067923cc7a001b.jpeg

37206537_TRAY10.thumb.jpeg.5db4dc0129be23e6e2989653eb667d3d.jpeg

• I like it 1

Is that stacked staves?  Very nice piece. 

Edited by Theantiquetiger2

14 hours ago, Theantiquetiger2 said:

Is that stacked staves?  Very nice piece. 

Actually it was a laminated 2.5" x 2.5" x 36" piece I found at Lowe's.  It is poplar and a couple of different colors of walnut.  I went there, expecting to get maybe a piece of oak but when I saw this I really liked the combination of different woods and went with it instead.

That would make a great bottle display (if it’s wide enough and you had a huge frostener but)

It's only 2.5" square so it wouldn't be wide enough for bottle display.  I guess you could buy wider versions of each type of wood and glue them up and make your on laminated piece.  The largest Forstner bit I saw was maybe 2.375" so to create a depression wide enough to accommodate bottles would require the use of a router.

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

It's only 2.5" square so it wouldn't be wide enough for bottle display.  I guess you could buy wider versions of each type of wood and glue them up and make your on laminated piece.  The largest Forstner bit I saw was maybe 2.375" so to create a depression wide enough to accommodate bottles would require the use of a router.

I've used a 3.25" Forstner w/my tabletop drill press (and more clamps than a human should have) to make 0.5" deep depressions in cedar rounds (2" H X 4.5" Diam.) so 3" diam candles can sit in them.  About $34 online IIRC for high-carbon w/ 1/2 inch shank from a woodworking tool co. I trust.  I saw them for as "little" as $26 but opted for one with a higher rating.

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I got a 2-3/4” forstner bit off Amazon for $20. Still not big enough for a bottle. 

Boy, Howdy.  Can't believe thishere thread got me out of my chair.  JUST SAYING - got on a ladder and pulled down one of those cedar rounds and sat my vintage OGD BIB bottle (i.e., the one with an orange screw cap) in it.  IT FITS!!  A subsequent measure of the bottle shows it to have a bottom diameter of 3 1/16" or thereabouts including those little bumps and the "750 ml" raised glass at the bottom.  I think it's time to get my drink on.:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Boy, Howdy.  Can't believe thishere thread got me out of my chair.  JUST SAYING - got on a ladder and pulled down one of those cedar rounds and sat my vintage OGD BIB bottle (i.e., the one with an orange screw cap) in it.  IT FITS!!  A subsequent measure of the bottle shows it to have a bottom diameter of 3 1/16" or thereabouts including those little bumps and the "750 ml" raised glass at the bottom.  I think it's time to get my drink on.:ph34r:

Here is the final product. It does need polyurethane.  

I decided on a $25 price point, but like I said it comes with the Glen Cairn glass, which runs $10 all day long. 

pNOkwWT.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.