Who here shop estate sales for unopened bottles?

Theantiquetiger2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

24 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

How do you find such things?

They are in the newspapers or estatesales . Net

• I like it 1

We go to estate sales for fun, but.......

In my area, most, if not all of the companies doing estate sales have chosen not to get the proper license to sell alcohol. Therefore it’s illegal. Near as I can tell, even with a license, selling alcohol can still be a bit of a pain. Disclaimer: This is the impression that I’ve gotten from talking to a number of employees of the companies running estate sales. In a nutshell, they don’t want to deal with it because of the hassle. 

I will say that I have run across a number of interesting old, dusty empty bottles and decanters. ^_^

Biba! Joe

That’s why you get in good with the companies. Offer to help run the show, move heavy stuff, etc

5 minutes ago, Theantiquetiger2 said:

That’s why you get in good with the companies. Offer to help run the show, move heavy stuff, etc

Not here in Illinois. Believe me I’ve tried. Ya gotta remember that Illinois is the land of taxes and crooked politicians. “Illinois:Where Our Governors Make Our License Plates” The folks here seem to not want to piss off the wrong person or people. Whether that means the government/law, or ?????   It’s anybodies guess.

• I like it 3

I frequent sales in NJ. I’ve posted a few of my recent finds in the Dusty Finds thread. Here are some below:

6EE20660-A45F-4614-8768-FF78DCE01AAB.jpeg

A17D7064-C9CD-495B-967C-F88746327EB3.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Missed out on some S-W Rebel Yell, plus some other cool bottles. People were lined up 3-4 hours before the sale for jewelry and other collectibles and someone at the front of the line was there for the whiskey. 

88A5A3B0-F1D2-4F82-84EC-643D17871745.png

There is a somewhat more morbid way to go about it. If you live long enough, you may inherit the stash of relatives and friends. No license required and no expenditure either. ("Oh, he would have wanted you to have it.") Over the years I have been given a number of bottles, some still with the tax seals unbroken. Of course, in some cases, it was the thought that counts because the tax strips deserved to remain unbroken.

• I like it 1

On 10/19/2019 at 8:44 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

We go to estate sales for fun, but.......

In my area, most, if not all of the companies doing estate sales have chosen not to get the proper license to sell alcohol. Therefore it’s illegal. Near as I can tell, even with a license, selling alcohol can still be a bit of a pain. Disclaimer: This is the impression that I’ve gotten from talking to a number of employees of the companies running estate sales. In a nutshell, they don’t want to deal with it because of the hassle. 

I will say that I have run across a number of interesting old, dusty empty bottles and decanters. ^_^

Biba! Joe

Here in Illinois they will sell dusties off book occasionally but you have to know and be trusted by the person doing the estate sales; a very hard relationship to develop.  I got a few bottles off the guy who did my parents' house clean out, including a 1960's Talisker, but I declined on a Glenfiddich decanter that I could not in good conscience buy for a song.  Told him to put in an auction.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.