Ice...Ice...Baby?

Steven C
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just saw this on Facebook, and if you posted it...no offense. But a truly great bottle poured out onto (even a perfectly shaped) giant cube always makes me grimace a little.  

...Understand that we're all supposed to enjoy whiskey any old way we like, but what I am wondering is what others think... 

Do you ice? Always?? Under certain conditions???  ...Or never? Some bourbons you will, some you won't?

Thanks for any and all replies — I'm all ears. 

icebaby.jpg

The focus of the picture annoys me more than the ice ball.

Personally i'll rarely put ice in my bourbon. But if it's high proof and I feel like it, then I will. Don't mind too much how others enjoy it.

• I like it 4

29 minutes ago, Steven C said:

Do you ice? Always?? Under certain conditions???  ...Or never? Some bourbons you will, some you won't?

icebaby.jpg

Yes. No. Yes* No. Yes**

*Summer drinking; sometimes freezer pours; sometimes when I just feel like getting after it.

**Not the unicorns; almost never anything under 100pf; but fairly liberal, I’ve done KC picks over ice, RRSiB, but usually it’s cheaper stuff.

If I was pouring a round of Stagg and someone wanted it over Ice I’d likely oblige. Rather they enjoy their pour. Last week when I poured WLW one guest took it neat probably to fit in. His prior drink was an ER store pick over ice that he loved.  I regret not offering ice with the WLW. I think he would have really enjoyed it so much more. 

@JakeySnakes is right. The focus on that picture is tilting. 

While I don't typically ice my BTAC, I am happy to see that it's open and being enjoyed.  That alone gives him/her a significant amount of credibility in my book.

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 8

Straight whiskey? No, maybe a little water, but even that is rare for me these days. Ice is reserved for cocktails, and I've got some lovely clear ice freezing that will probably go into a Sazerac in the next couple days. That said, whiskey on ice was the gateway that got me to enjoy whiskey neat, so I can understand a bit of ice, especially in barrel proof bourbon. As @0895 mentions it's great to see that bottle is being enjoyed, rather than flipped or squirreled away in a cabinet somewhere.

It's not even a cheap vs expensive or rare thing for me. I have no problem putting expensive whiskey in cocktails (great spirits make great cocktails). It's just that, if I'm gonna have a straight spirit of any kind, I want to appreciate its flavor, and ice closes it off. 

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

I never use ice with whiskey except in a cocktail, which is very rare for me. I don’t put ice in a glass of water either. I like both at room temperature.

I have no problem with this. I once heard Jimmy Russell say that he likes his bourbon with ice because it makes the ice taste better. (I really did hear him say that.)

Joke aside, Stagg is my favorite of all time and while I have sip or two neat to get the full flavor experience I also know that if I keep doing that I'll numb my taste buds pretty quick so I always add water.

A big cube works the same way. The first few sips are neat/near neat. Then it slowly proofs down until it hits the sweet spot. Now once it gets there I'd take out the cube so it doesn't get watered down.

I've done this before with Booker's at a bar and it's fantastic. You go on a nice ride of evolving flavor.

• I like it 6

31 minutes ago, Commodore said:

I never use ice with whiskey except in a cocktail, which is very rare for me. I don’t put ice in a glass of water either. I like both at room temperature.

Is it weird that I'm more bothered by the idea of room temperature water than ice in GTS?

Just now, EarthQuake said:

Is it weird that I'm more bothered by the idea of room temperature water than ice in GTS?

Ha! Probably not. My family thinks I’m nuts. They are probably right. Ice adds smells and flavors from the freezer. 

I don't put ice in bourbon, personally.

If I want an iced drink in the summer, I make a few cocktails.

I suppose I WOULD pour something non-endangered and cheap like FRYL or WT101 over ice, but with the aforementioned cocktail option above, the need has never come up.

Also, that ice ball looks white and cloudy. Some use "refrigerator ice" on a fridge where the filter hasn't been changed since the boom started. THAT tastes horrible, and that kind of ice doesn't go in ANYTHING.

Fresh ice made of good tasting water (yes, water has flavor and texture characteristics - ask your tour guide at any bourbon distillery) is a must. 

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I suppose I WOULD pour something non-endangered and cheap like FRYL or WT101 over ice, but with the aforementioned cocktail option above, the need has never come up.

I was at a restaurant in DC last year that had a nice selection of unicorns so I ordered a PVW15 neat ($50). I won a bottle of EC23 at a Va ABC lottery which I also drink neat.  I didn't want to dilute the taste of either even the slightest little bit. Everything else I have is your standard run of the mill selections of bourbon which I like to drink cold so I use ice.

• I like it 2

If I want my bourbon cold, I put the bottle in the fridge for a while (GW4G in the summertime comes to mind!).  ?

• I like it 2

I haven’t done ice in a very long time. Over the summer I wanted a chilled pour so I used some stainless whiskey stones I have but rarely use those now.

And why not? I like it neat sometimes, sometimes with water, sometimes with ice. I'm not a stickler for drinking it one way, frankly. And as someone say above, at least it's open. I bet it's damn tasty on the rocks.

• I like it 1

Depends.  I would say I am about 50/50 doing a Glencairn neat or a rocks glass with a large ice cube and depends on what I am in the mood for and which bourbon I am drinking.

Edited by NDN98

8 hours ago, flahute said:

A big cube works the same way. The first few sips are neat/near neat. Then it slowly proofs down until it hits the sweet spot. Now once it gets there I'd take out the cube so it doesn't get watered down.

I've done this before with Booker's at a bar and it's fantastic. You go on a nice ride of evolving flavor.

I have had one good experience with ice and this was it: Booker's and a big cube, and it was exactly like you describe here, a really great "ride." I tried it a second time and the ride went way too fast, and I've never used ice since.  I may try again...  But @The Black Tot has captured where I'm at overall.  I like cocktails and when I have the taste for something cool a Manhattan or Left Hand (or Negroni) is always an easy go-to.   

My first acquaintance with tasting came via wine, and I was and still am a real stickler about temperature.   Reds served at room temperature are a drag, "cellar temp" is a real thing and definitely makes a great wine taste significantly better.

• I like it 1

I actually enjoy a well-made oversized ice cube/sphere, and consider it a different but totally valid way to enjoy whiskey. But the "well-made" part is so extremely difficult without pro equipment that I simply don't bother.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Kane said:

I actually enjoy a well-made oversized ice cube/sphere, and consider it a different but totally valid way to enjoy whiskey. But the "well-made" part is so extremely difficult without pro equipment that I simply don't bother.

You can find relatively inexpensive molds to make crystal clear, awesome ice cubes. See: 

Oh and it looks like I didn't post the link to the mold I got in that thread, so here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07422QWCP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by EarthQuake

9 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

You can find relatively inexpensive molds to make crystal clear, awesome ice cubes. See: 

Oh and it looks like I didn't post the link to the mold I got in that thread, so here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07422QWCP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've actually tried that product after my post in the thread. The cubes look some of the best I've achieved at home, but getting them to taste & smell right (i.e., completely neutral) is still a lot of work that needs freezer inventory management and water preprocessing. I'm not even sure if the mold itself plays a part, although I admit unlike cheapo molds there's no obvious plastic taste with this one. In the end I decided it's not worth the effort.

I have no problem with someone drinking GTS with a cube, but it's not something I would do. Sometimes I'll put one in a pour of WTRB during the summer, or I'll put one in a glass of RR SIB rye when having a cigar. To each their own

If you're wanting an inexpensive, non gimmicky, fool proof way to make clear ice, watch this link. I've done this numerous times with zero issues. It's also nice that you can control the size and shape of your ice.

Edited by JCwhammie
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.