Why is VWSR called "Lot B"

RyanC.AFW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Trying to figure out more of a backstory on this one. After Lot A ran out, we now have Lot B which still continues. Is there any significance as to why the 12 year Van Winkle is still called Lot B, or has it just become the permanent name for it?

On 12/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, RyanC.AFW said:

Trying to figure out more of a backstory on this one. After Lot A ran out, we now have Lot B which still continues. Is there any significance as to why the 12 year Van Winkle is still called Lot B, or has it just become the permanent name for it?

To the best of my knowledge, Lot A was released just in 1991. For every release 1992 and beyond the label has said Lot B. 

I’ve always assumed that Julian III went through his stock of barrels that were older than the 10 year range and took the barrels that he did not think were worthy of continued aging for inclusion in future PVW releases and bottled those as Lot B. With Lot B indicating that they weren’t his best juice. At the time of the 1991 release of course there was no such thing as PVW as it hadn’t been released yet. I believe the first ever PVW release was in 1994. So maybe in 1992 he had decided that he would start setting aside his best barrels for future super premium older releases, and decided to start bottling those that didn’t make that cut as B then? I’ve never heard the full rationale directly from Julian. And Preston probably knows the story but was way too young to have been involved at the time.

While it doesn't really answer the question you posed, it is interesting to look back at old posts about this product.

• I like it 1

THX, you all.  I had no idea there was a Lot A.  I always called the OVW 12 YO "Lot B" because that was what was on the label.  Trying to say all that other stuff when asking the clerk to get it off an upper shelf always got me" "You want the 23? the 15? Old Rip?  the 10?" and so on, and that drove me and him crazy moving the bottles around and flashing the labels so I learned to just say, "Gimme the Lot B", and Steve (the co-owner) knew what I was asking for.  I'd tried one bottle of the others over the years and found, circa 2002, that I liked the Lot B version best.  DISCLOSURE - it was YEARS (like, 2014 after I joined SB) that I learned abiut Saz/BT's involvement and the history behind my coveted Lot B.  How naive was I?

ASIDE - Deep into Booker's Dot's Batch w/2 cubes.  We having homemade Italian dinner tonight complete with garlic bread made from scratch so pre-dinner cocktail/happy hour will be Negronis and black olives.  While I like them, nothing satisfies like a sip of bourbon before a meal - keeps me from overeating.

EDIT - Poop!  Just noticed the glass is empty, and dinner is an hour away.  Dare I . . .?:o

Edited by Harry in WashDC
flash of awareness.
  • I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, BottledInBond said:

To the best of my knowledge, Lot A was released just in 1991. For every release 1992 and beyond the label has said Lot B. 

I’ve always assumed that Julian III went through his stock of barrels that were older than the 10 year range and took the barrels that he did not think were worthy of continued aging for inclusion in future PVW releases and bottled those as Lot B. With Lot B indicating that they weren’t his best juice. At the time of the 1991 release of course there was no such thing as PVW as it hadn’t been released yet. I believe the first ever PVW release was in 1994. So maybe in 1992 he had decided that he would start setting aside his best barrels for future super premium older releases, and decided to start bottling those that didn’t make that cut as B then? I’ve never heard the full rationale directly from Julian. And Preston probably knows the story but was way too young to have been involved at the time.

I actually emailed and heard back from Julian. It's pretty much to that affect, Lot A was small and ran out quickly. Lot B was much larger and by time those barrels ran out, everyone got so used to his 12 year old release being called Lot B that the name stuck so as to not confuse anyone.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.