Cloudy/Hazy Glasses?

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have some pint size pub style beer glasses.

Over time, they have become stained somehow, not totally clear.

It could be because my wife used them for smoothies, or because our water softener was offline for a while.

Has anyone had success in cleaning something like this?

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I have some pint size pub style beer glasses.

Over time, they have become stained somehow, not totally clear.

It could be because my wife used them for smoothies, or because our water softener was offline for a while.

Has anyone had success in cleaning something like this?

Shot-in-the-dark... Maybe the cloudiness is just hard water deposit?   

If so, a vinegar rinse will work wonders.   You can try it inexpensively & easily by just wiping an area that seems 'stained' using a 100% vinegar-soaked cloth.   

Vinegar is quite cheap though, so just soaking 'em in a full-glass of vinegar is less 'labor intensive'.   I'm assuming of course, that the stains are on the inside of the glasses.    Good Luck.       

I once won a donated set of 4-Rocks glasses at a fund-raising silent auction (for which I over-payed) that had a similar appearance.    I assumed I could easily rehabilitate 'em with vinegar... or some other solvent.   

HA!   Guess again!   

I still have no idea what was deposited on 'em because I tried everything I could think of, including lacquer thinner and even Strypeeze paint remover.   Zero effect.    Donated 'em the following week to the Salvation army.

Here’s another trick that might work. It does with coffee pots. Try putting ice and salt in your glasses. Let it sit a while. After the ice melts a little, cover the glass, and swirl the mixture around. Repeat this a few times and see what happens.

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.