Famous Fred

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

That’s cool and I’m glad you enjoyed it for your wedding, but wearing something once for a formal event is very different from making it your permanent staple of your style. Would you wear an ascot to every event you attended today? For every picture or video you’re ever in? 

If someone got to play golf at the Old Course at St. Andrews once in their life and they decided to wear knickers and a tweed cap it would make sense and be in the spirit of the event. If they started showing up to every event they attended and every photo/video in knickers, I’d start to think it was a douchey gimic. I mean, I also loved Mr. Peanut when I was little, but if you see me at a whiskey event wearing a monocle and a top hat I’ve probably had a few too many samples before I showed up

C4F4FA4C-2AEB-4A4E-B06F-3BDAA52AEB88.jpeg

Why do you care so deeply, so fervently, about another man's neck attire? With the reaction this man gets for wearing a sort of mini scarf, you'd think he was goose-stepping over the graves at Normandy.

In all seriousness, if I was in the public eye as much as Fred, I would dress up a bit more than I do in my normal life. That said, I prefer a bowtie.

Edited by EarthQuake

I don't know anything about him other than watching some of his short episodes on Amazon Prime.  Honestly, he just wastes time talking about things that quite frankly, he's talking to the wrong guys about. Hey, I mean I get what he's trying to do but I just have no interest in hearing about cars and college football from master distillers, that don't really know shit about cars and college football.  There are so many interesting things he could ask his guests but... He doesn't.  So yeah, I'm done with that show.

Edited by BrokeCal
  • I like it 2

On 1/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, EarthQuake said:

Why do you care so deeply, so fervently, about another man's neck attire? With the reaction this man gets for wearing a sort of mini scarf, you'd think he was goose-stepping over the graves at Normandy.

In all seriousness, if I was in the public eye as much as Fred, I would dress up a bit more than I do in my normal life. That said, I prefer a bowtie.

If people are going to talk about a guy who tries to promote himself as the most public “expert” on the subject of American whiskey, I can certainly point out that I have a hard time taking him seriously because of what I (and plenty of other people) believe to be a silly wardrobe gimmic. There are plenty of opinions on this site everyday saying people like or dislike various things so I wouldn’t consider that opinion to be any different. And, the only reason I’ve posted stuff about it multiple times now is because other people have replied to my comments or asked me questions like you have.

I don’t care about it “deeply and fervently”, it just causes me to take him less seriously than I might otherwise. But I care deeply and fervently about my right to have an opinion on any whiskey related topic, when discussing a whiskey related topic, in a whiskey community forum. Isn’t that the whole idea here? 

• I like it 3

Well I heard, from a reliable source that Fred soaks his ascot in 23 year old Pappy before wrapping said ascot around his neck. :D

59 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Well I heard, from a reliable source that Fred soaks his ascot in 23 year old Pappy before wrapping said ascot around his neck. :D

I hope he doesn't have any razor burn from shaving...Ouch.

10 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

If people are going to talk about a guy who tries to promote himself as the most public “expert” on the subject of American whiskey, I can certainly point out that I have a hard time taking him seriously because of what I (and plenty of other people) believe to be a silly wardrobe gimmic. There are plenty of opinions on this site everyday saying people like or dislike various things so I wouldn’t consider that opinion to be any different. And, the only reason I’ve posted stuff about it multiple times now is because other people have replied to my comments or asked me questions like you have.

I don’t care about it “deeply and fervently”, it just causes me to take him less seriously than I might otherwise. But I care deeply and fervently about my right to have an opinion on any whiskey related topic, when discussing a whiskey related topic, in a whiskey community forum. Isn’t that the whole idea here? 

Sorry, I should have been more clear that my post was tongue-in-cheek. My sense of humor can be dry and that doesn't always translate in text on the internet, I thought the stupid youtube clip would set the tone for the post but clearly I was mistaken.

But while we're on the topic, if you want to call into question his credibility, whether he's an unbiased reviewer, or perhaps whether his palate lines up with yours, I would be interested to read more about that. I don't have a strong opinion on the guy, so I'm not sure why he gets the heckling that he does - it surely can't simply be because he wears something odd on his neck, can it?

Edited by EarthQuake

On a lighter note, I propose that if we're going to ridicule the man for his choice in neckwear, we at least do so in the style and fashion of the period.

Good sir, what a shocking bad cravat you posses! One thinks your neckerchief has restricted the flow of oxygen to your brain, severely inhibiting your facilities and ability to differentiate between fine and foul spirit! Tut tut.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 3

9 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear that my post was tongue-in-cheek. My sense of humor can be dry and that doesn't always translate in text on the internet, I thought the stupid youtube clip would set the tone for the post but clearly I was mistaken.

But while we're on the topic, if you want to call into question his credibility, whether he's an unbiased reviewer, or perhaps whether his palate lines up with yours, I would be interested to read more about that. I don't have a strong opinion on the guy, so I'm not sure why he gets the heckling that he does - it surely can't simply be because he wears something odd on his neck, can it?

I honestly hadn’t even noticed you had a YouTube link in the previous post until you pointed that out....... oops 

I think there are a few other reasons people comment on him. Some people have expressed frustration that he has contributed to shelf clearing of certain bottles that he promotes, a la the Henry McKenna situation most recently. Other people may not like his writing or public speaking style. Some people may feel as though he is too closely tied to the big players in the industry (distilleries, distributors) to be completely unbiased since they are directly or indirectly paying him in different ways. And then there are Honestly probably some people that are just jealous of him getting to make a career out of tasting and talking about bourbon, and everything that goes with that situation. 

• I like it 1

He's OK.

I'm OK.

Neither of us reads the other.

I would drink with him if he would drink with me.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.