Jump to content
Sgtspitter101

Norlan glasses

Recommended Posts

PhantomLamb

I have a set that was gifted to me.  Would recommend for lower proof bourbons, really gives you a sense of the nose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebo

When I get back to work, I'm going to purchase one of these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Respectfully

I have a set of their blown glass and a black set. I’m not overly impressed with them. I do like their heavy tumblers and plan to buy more of them. 

Edited by Respectfully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
On 10/31/2020 at 12:25 PM, Respectfully said:

I have a set of their blown glass and a black set. I’m not overly impressed with them. I do like their heavy tumblers and plan to buy more of them. 

The regular Norlan glasses, when they're on sale 2/$30, is worth it, I think for spirits under 100 proof.  The tumblers are pricey but really nice.  My dad has a set of them and even for sipping neat they are really nice.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Respectfully
46 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

The regular Norlan glasses, when they're on sale 2/$30, is worth it, I think for spirits under 100 proof.  The tumblers are pricey but really nice.  My dad has a set of them and even for sipping neat they are really nice.

The tumblers are pricy and I’m not sure why. But they feel great and I like the weight. I only have two which is all I need.... cuz I only have two hands.  Haha.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
3 hours ago, Respectfully said:

The tumblers are pricy and I’m not sure why. But they feel great and I like the weight. I only have two which is all I need.... cuz I only have two hands.  Haha.

I don't get why either, definitely not worth $50/glass.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute

The tumbler is pretty cool. Never knew it existed until you guys mentioned it. Looks like it's really hard to make which likely explains the price.

 

https://norlanglass.com/products/rauk-heavy-tumbler

 

Scroll down and read about the production process.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JCwhammie

I'm definitely out on paying $50 for a glass. I read the link Steve put about the making of the glass. I suppose that sounds alright. But if you want to make tge most of your glass you'll have pretty ice balls... 😬

https://meltdownice.com

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
19 hours ago, flahute said:

The tumbler is pretty cool. Never knew it existed until you guys mentioned it. Looks like it's really hard to make which likely explains the price.

 

https://norlanglass.com/products/rauk-heavy-tumbler

 

Scroll down and read about the production process.

Yep, they are really sharp. Would definitely love them as a gift but not shelling out that kind of cash just yet.

7B3D6008-BA14-4B31-9B73-0EF0E81DE4E6.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
B.B. Babington
On 11/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, flahute said:

The tumbler is pretty cool. Never knew it existed until you guys mentioned it. Looks like it's really hard to make which likely explains the price...

That is a lot of craftsmanship and the price very reasonable given the labor.  I've some doubts on their claims of how the glass improves the sip, but maybe it does.  I'll stick to my brandy glasses that came free in a cognac gift set.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb
14 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

That is a lot of craftsmanship and the price very reasonable given the labor.  I've some doubts on their claims of how the glass improves the sip, but maybe it does.  I'll stick to my brandy glasses that came free in a cognac gift set.

For the tumbler this is absolutely no improvement, it's just an awesome glass.  For the regular Norlan, it is just a glencairn that takes up the surface area of a glass.  I have a set of 4 of them that I got as gifts and I like them enough.  

 

Honestly, to me they made a huge difference in the drink.  For example, I put some higher proof Jamaican rum in one and honestly couldn't make it through the drink, just way too much funk on the nose.  However, when I moved over to standard old fashioned glass with the same drink, it was way more pleasant.  So, IMO, I would say the Norlan glasses definitely concentrate the noise for all the little nuances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Respectfully
On 11/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, B.B. Babington said:

That is a lot of craftsmanship and the price very reasonable given the labor.  I've some doubts on their claims of how the glass improves the sip, but maybe it does.  I'll stick to my brandy glasses that came free in a cognac gift set.


Agreed; it adds nothing to the drink but the substantial feel and appearance are pleasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.