Norlan glasses

Sgtspitter101
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a set that was gifted to me.  Would recommend for lower proof bourbons, really gives you a sense of the nose.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 12:25 PM, Respectfully said:

I have a set of their blown glass and a black set. I’m not overly impressed with them. I do like their heavy tumblers and plan to buy more of them. 

The regular Norlan glasses, when they're on sale 2/$30, is worth it, I think for spirits under 100 proof.  The tumblers are pricey but really nice.  My dad has a set of them and even for sipping neat they are really nice.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Respectfully said:

The tumblers are pricy and I’m not sure why. But they feel great and I like the weight. I only have two which is all I need.... cuz I only have two hands.  Haha.

I don't get why either, definitely not worth $50/glass.  

I'm definitely out on paying $50 for a glass. I read the link Steve put about the making of the glass. I suppose that sounds alright. But if you want to make tge most of your glass you'll have pretty ice balls... ?

https://meltdownice.com

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, flahute said:

The tumbler is pretty cool. Never knew it existed until you guys mentioned it. Looks like it's really hard to make which likely explains the price.

https://norlanglass.com/products/rauk-heavy-tumbler

Scroll down and read about the production process.

Yep, they are really sharp. Would definitely love them as a gift but not shelling out that kind of cash just yet.

7B3D6008-BA14-4B31-9B73-0EF0E81DE4E6.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 11/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, flahute said:

The tumbler is pretty cool. Never knew it existed until you guys mentioned it. Looks like it's really hard to make which likely explains the price...

That is a lot of craftsmanship and the price very reasonable given the labor.  I've some doubts on their claims of how the glass improves the sip, but maybe it does.  I'll stick to my brandy glasses that came free in a cognac gift set.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

That is a lot of craftsmanship and the price very reasonable given the labor.  I've some doubts on their claims of how the glass improves the sip, but maybe it does.  I'll stick to my brandy glasses that came free in a cognac gift set.

For the tumbler this is absolutely no improvement, it's just an awesome glass.  For the regular Norlan, it is just a glencairn that takes up the surface area of a glass.  I have a set of 4 of them that I got as gifts and I like them enough.  

Honestly, to me they made a huge difference in the drink.  For example, I put some higher proof Jamaican rum in one and honestly couldn't make it through the drink, just way too much funk on the nose.  However, when I moved over to standard old fashioned glass with the same drink, it was way more pleasant.  So, IMO, I would say the Norlan glasses definitely concentrate the noise for all the little nuances.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.