Old Forrester Signature 100 proof

kaiserhog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've found a new straight bourbon that punches way above it's price.  $25 for 750ml.

• I like it 1

Are you talking about the current version - white paper label "100 proof" on the bottom left corner?

There are a bunch of really good pours for under $25.  A few that I like are:

OGD BIB

Fighting Cock 103

EW BIB

Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

Jim Beam Repeal Batch (lower proof but LOTS of flavor)

Others can add ones that they like but all of these are well worth the money.

• I like it 4

Very Old Barton 100 and VOB 90

Willet Old Bardstown 90

Old Fitzgerald 80

JTS Brown

to add to the list

• I like it 1

I think they took Signature off the label but, yeah, a great pour for under $25.  And, since we're listing others in that category, don't forget Wild Turkey 101. 

• I like it 3

I was happy to see BF revamp their barrel program. I’ve yet to have an OF single barrel (including one my group selected) that I liked $20 better than sig. 

Oddly, this is one bottle @Harry in WashDC And I disagree on. 

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I was happy to see BF revamp their barrel program. I’ve yet to have an OF single barrel (including one my group selected) that I liked $20 better than sig. 

Oddly, this is one bottle @Harry in WashDC And I disagree on. 

True.  I tried to like Sig. Never developed a taste for it. Bought a 750 circa mid-2013 after my Ranger buddy recommended it.  Did not like it.  BUT, the 1897 is a fave and caused me to buy a 2nd Sig.  Same result. The current “100” proof is good so I bought a clear-out Sig, figuring 3rd time’s a charm.  Nope.  Same result. I can’t figure out why not one sip of the three Sig 750s I bought 2013 to early 2019 measures up to the 1897s and 100s for me.  Good news here is - it did not stop me from trying the 1897 or the new 100.  MORAL try them all and revisit rejects from time to time, and don’t ignore all relatives just because one of them drives you crazy.

• I like it 1

One of the all time greats.   I have way back in the cupboard a couple of 80s dimple bottles,  and I think will open one just to toast being marooned in springtime.

7 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

There are a bunch of really good pours for under $25.  A few that I like are:

OGD BIB

Fighting Cock 103

EW BIB

Jim Beam Distiller's Cut

Jim Beam Repeal Batch (lower proof but LOTS of flavor)

Others can add ones that they like but all of these are well worth the money.

I am a huge fan of EW BIB, look at my post history.  They should make brand ambassador.  I always keep OGD BIB on hand.  Do want to try OF BIB and JB BIB.  I live on the bottom shelf or as Garth Brooks sung "I've got friends in low places"

Edited by kaiserhog
  • I like it 1

I've tried the JB BIB and was not a fan.  Most of the OF I've had I've liked so I would definitely give that one a try.

I have a bottle of the "Signature" and I'm not a fan.  I think it's simply too young for my tastes.  I like the other Old Fo offerings like 1897 BiB, and the 100 proof Rye.  I just think their cheaper bourbons from a few years ago are not quite up to snuff for me.

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I've tried the JB BIB and was not a fan.  Most of the OF I've had I've liked so I would definitely give that one a try.

FWIW, I like the Distiller's Cut neat much more than the BIB because it's not as smooth, but the BIB, like its white label, it mixes well with EVERYTHING.  Now that for some reason the BIB is hard to find and the DistCut is gone, I use OGD BIB/EW BIB in cocktails instead of JB BIB.  That (using OGD BIB, not the EW BIB), to me, is almost sacrilege.  But then, this is bourbon/rye, not brain surgery. 

I opened a Bonded dimple and am sipping it side by side with a Statesman.  It is fascinating to taste two whiskies distilled over 20 years apart yet so obviously from the same Nashville.

They taste similar, with the Statesman displaying more vanilla and the dimple more nuttiness.   The Statesman shows well the nuance and time of the small batch blending.  It's ultimately the better pour because, well, the dimple was tucked into bed just a little too soon.

I'm a huge fan of the current OF 100 proof. I liked it back when it was called Signature but stopped buying it about 4-5 years ago when it experienced an artificial price hike here in Washington State.

This past summer it returned to normal price so I tried it again and wow, what an incredible pour for the price. It is now a staple.

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, I like the Distiller's Cut neat much more than the BIB because it's not as smooth, but the BIB, like its white label, it mixes well with EVERYTHING.  Now that for some reason the BIB is hard to find and the DistCut is gone, I use OGD BIB/EW BIB in cocktails instead of JB BIB.  That (using OGD BIB, not the EW BIB), to me, is almost sacrilege.  But then, this is bourbon/rye, not brain surgery. 

I think the big reason that I like the JB Distiller's Cut and the Repeal Batch is because both are non chill filtered.

8 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Adding JW Dant and JTS Brown.

Haven't tried the JW Dant but the JTS Brown BIB is good.  The main reason I tried it was that I was out with my son one night for dinner before a basketball game and he wanted to try it because his initials are JTS.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, kaiserhog said:

I've found a new straight bourbon that punches way above it's price.  $25 for 750ml.

I like this a lot in Old Fashions, as well as Weller SR and Buffalo Trace.

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Adding JW Dant and JTS Brown.

Never tried JTS Brown (it's not available where I live) but JW Dant is very good.  Similar profile to EW BiB.  I didn't mention it because it's also not available in Calif.  I ordered my bottle from Astor Wines in NY to fill out shipping for a L'Encantada XO Armagnac, (which was substantially more than $25 LOL).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.