Unicorn Hunting Season

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can appreciate a restaurant or bar owner selling off bottles to ensure furloughed employees get some money during theses times. I however hate to see the secondary markups and price gouging. Is there a fine line? Should I care that someone is willing to pay $150+ for a bottle of Blantons? The obvious answer is no but I still hate to see it.

What’s your thoughts of how much of a mark up should restaurants and has be pushing their back stock? 

Those bottles are their property and what they sell them for are between them and the buyer. The only price I care about is what I am willing to pay for something. 

That being said, it makes me glad to see employers doing some things to help their employees in this crazy time. 

Well if you're a restaurant/bar owner selling a bottle of Blanton's for $150 is still below what you could get for it if you sold it by the individual pour.  Down One Bourbon Bar in Louisville sells a pour of Blanton's for $20.  I'm not sure whether that's a 1 oz. or 2 oz. pour.  If that's a 2 oz. pour they're still getting $240 out of that bottle.  If it's a 1 oz. pour then we're talking $500.  The owner is paying wholesale for the bottle so he's probably getting it for around let's say $50.  With bars and restaurants closed right now that $50 is not making him any money at all so I can see him trying to sell it for above retail.  Some people will be willing to pay that for various reasons, such as they can't find it locally or they have an income stream and they want to help the owners of these establishments.

I won't pay those types of prices but I don't mind a bar/restaurant owner tying to bring in some income, especially to help his employees.  Now if it's just a secondary market flipper trying to take advantage of the situation then . . .  well these guys are despicable and can rot in hell for all I care.

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.