A bit of SB's history

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's interesting what a walk down memory lane moving one's collection can be. Pictured are what remains of the six samples I had from the PVW23 barrel selections (2) we made back in 2007. I consumed my (750ml) bottles long ago, but I haven't the courage to finish these off; something about posterity, no doubt.

The bottles aren't filthy. They are just used airplane bottles with the labels ripped off, and there's likely a story behind that as well. Looks like Wade's work to me :D

I don't recall which two barrels we chose in the end, though it seems likely someone who reads this will.

SB_PVW23.jpg

• I like it 12

Given today's bourbon world it's pretty insane to think something like that could ever happen.

• I like it 3

Maybe Julian would want to accommodate another request from you Jim since you were a strong early supporter? I could probably scrape up enough to participate and do my part? :) I'm fairly confident others would chime in YES also to help in that.  

• I like it 5

Although a little before my time here, it's sooooo cool to see these 'mundane' sample bottles containing the vaunted Pappy being kept and honored for all these years.   

Good for you, Boss!   

The usual admonition to drink and not save the "good stuff" may be misplaced in this case; so find a safe spot for 'em, and peek in at 'em once in a great while, just for old time's sake, eh?

Thanx for posting the pic!

• I like it 2

This was a little before my time too. Through the good graces of a couple of members here, I was able to taste these on a few occasions. I'd tasted other Pappy 23's and wasn't impressed at all. I was totally and pleasantly surprised by the SB picks. The crew that picked those two barrels did a bang up job. ??:P

Biba! Joe

PS  FWIW, the SB Pappy and Everett's Weller 12 picks happened the year I got into bourbon, and a year before I joined here. 

2kr5s9.jpg.bae70501871f9e61a89d5497e8417340.jpg

• I like it 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 9:39 PM, FacePlant said:

Maybe Julian would want to accommodate another request from you Jim since you were a strong early supporter? I could probably scrape up enough to participate and do my part? :) I'm fairly confident others would chime in YES also to help in that.  

Umm, yes I imagine I'd be able to scrounge enough to chip in as well.  Well.... we can still dream can't we?  ??‍♂️

• 6 months later...

Wow, I had no idea that happened.  I'd imagine that became impossible within 18-24 months thereafter.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.