Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

Recommended Posts

Richnimrod

Yesterday, I compared two straight ryes.   One was the recent addition by BF; Old Forester KSR, 100-proof.   The other was a sample I'd been gifted by my son, Gary T: Barrell Rye, Batch #3, 116.7 ABV.   I liked the Barrel Rye a very tiny bit better, especially on the nose; but, I think mostly because of the slightly deeper profile (due probably to the rather higher proof).   But, for availability and cost, there's no doubt which I'd have on my shelf (and already do!): the OF.   The subtle differences did not weigh very much, and in fact were in favor of the OF for 'back-of-the-palate', and finish.     

Anyway, that was my mission, and once completed, I poured a couple small pours from my best example of an 'old' favorite: Old Forester 86-proof from about 1984, a very nice butterscotch-forward, easy drinker, full of caramel, brown sugar, with a hint of cinnamon; the very last pour of which remains decanted into a small bottle, and will not last the month I imagine.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ptman2000

I got lucky and walked into my regular store yesterday and they had just gotten this in!

7AF221CA-26D2-4787-A043-6A635851FE89.jpeg

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Have you made a short list yet for this summer's freeze bottle? 

I have a 4RYL ready to go. Just waiting for the hot weather to arrive. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phil T
10 minutes ago, flahute said:

I have a 4RYL ready to go. Just waiting for the hot weather to arrive. 

You should come back to Ohio, smokin hot and humid here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
6 minutes ago, Phil T said:

You should come back to Ohio, smokin hot and humid here.

I was back for a quick weekend visit a couple of weeks ago and hoo boy was it hot. Actually felt good to feel that summer heat in a small dose.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

NAS Bulleit in a plastic cup at a desolated hotel bar-- wonderful.

 

IMG_4732.thumb.jpg.11ee8259e877c68259bd5092354cce4e.jpg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

NAS Bulleit in a plastic cup at a desolated hotel bar-- wonderful.

 

IMG_4732.thumb.jpg.11ee8259e877c68259bd5092354cce4e.jpg

I always appreciate plastic cups in hotels. Much more sanitary than regular glasses covered by paper. 

Edited by mbroo5880i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mbroo5880i
11 hours ago, ptman2000 said:

I got lucky and walked into my regular store yesterday and they had just gotten this in!

7AF221CA-26D2-4787-A043-6A635851FE89.jpeg

Be careful to not let any spill out!

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Be careful to not let any spill out!

It’s been a long week. I needed a laugh. Thanks M. 👌

 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaulO

After a rough couple of days, it's great to be here, and have some JTS Brown.

Tomorrow, work on my new patio begins.  I'm so glad the deck is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
12 hours ago, flahute said:

I have a 4RYL ready to go. Just waiting for the hot weather to arrive. 

I need to try a 4R Yellow Label from the freezer. My HH BIB is almost empty so I will definitely need another freezer bottle  (I might actually  need 2 or 3 more bottles to make it through a Texas summer)...

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
11 hours ago, Kepler said:

I need to try a 4R Yellow Label from the freezer. My HH BIB is almost empty so I will definitely need another freezer bottle  (I might actually  need 2 or 3 more bottles to make it through a Texas summer)...

Give this a go for sure.  It does not necessarily deliver flavor wise as the HH6 does, but the 20 proof points do make a difference over the long haul. 

 

WT101 was ok out of the freezer, but not noticeably better like the 4RYL.   I actually really like KC 120 SiB out of the freezer, particularly when over a large cube and the glass is also stored in the freezer.  Good stuff and pours so thick.  In fact, I'm going to put my nearly empty KC bottle in now.  

 

Interesting "pro tip" as well.  If you are want a nice good cork pop look no further than the freezer.  The extra tight KC synthetic corks in particular end up making a great pop out of the freezer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw

New bourbon journey for me this summer.  Long story short, I have made a friendly wager with a buddy of mine where for the foreseeable future I am limited to a max of 2-3 open bottles at a time!   This came about over a long conversation where I had mentioned that I was drinking up a lot of my open bottles and then boxing up others in anticipation of moving within the next year and also that I would be "just fine" drinking off shelf and opening as I go.  Friendly challenge extended and accepted.   I am looking forward to this experiment as an checkpoint on the route to zen and the wife is happy as she correctly recognizes it will speed up the buying process on my end.  Surprise, surprise, she is in a hurry.  :)  

 

So, I cracked a WT Rare Breed this weekend to go with the open KC SiB I have.  After that . . . who knows?  Hopefully the new Rare Breed Rye hits soon.  I am also waiting on a few store picks that I believe were dumped/bottled at the end of May.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FacePlant

I'm drinking an old and well known brand. This iteration is a step up from the bottom shelf. More brands coming to market recently with this whiskey being the source. Some say honey covered cornbread. I say this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

Bookers from an actual glass in a St. Louis restaurant... took quite a bit of work with the server to free this one up.

 

IMG_4744.thumb.jpg.e8fc2939b7164c02d956e5b90628a4d7.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskeythink.com

EB BP. In a coffee mug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whiskeythink.com
8 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I am also waiting on a few store picks that I believe were dumped/bottled at the end of May.   

well do tell!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Bookers from an actual glass in a St. Louis restaurant... took quite a bit of work with the server to free this one up.

 

IMG_4744.thumb.jpg.e8fc2939b7164c02d956e5b90628a4d7.jpg

 

 

Welcome to town.

shouldve told us you were coming...

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Every single time I head into tasting this bottle of New Riff, I expect to be disappointed.  But, that never happens, as I am always rewarded with a quality bourbon, that TASTES like a bourbon.  Don’t misunderstand this to mean I think that it is anything more than a bourbon, as any bourbon really should be, but that bar has not been passed by any craft distillery until this one.  It’s not mind blowing.  It’s not great.  
 

It’s not equal to much more than Evan Williams Black Label...

 

But that alone is enough, as that is all that I have been looking for.  It tastes like a solid legacy distillery bourbon.  To me, that is mind blowing.  Still haven’t found a craft that is close to its equal, but this whiskey demonstrates that quality craft distillery processes, with quality results, can be done.  
 

Which begs the question to me:

 

What do they know that the others can’t figure out??? 

B420CACD-36BE-4FD6-9AA7-7A311C6D389C.jpeg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CUfan99
12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Every single time I head into tasting this bottle of New Riff, I expect to be disappointed.  But, that never happens, as I am always rewarded with a quality bourbon, that TASTES like a bourbon.  Don’t misunderstand this to mean I think that it is anything more than a bourbon, as any bourbon really should be, but that bar has not been passed by any craft distillery until this one.  It’s not mind blowing.  It’s not great.  
 

It’s not equal to much more than Evan Williams Black Label...

 

But that alone is enough, as that is all that I have been looking for.  It tastes like a solid legacy distillery bourbon.  To me, that is mind blowing.  Still haven’t found a craft that is close to its equal, but this whiskey demonstrates that quality craft distillery processes, with quality results, can be done.  
 

Which begs the question to me:

 

What do they know that the others can’t figure out??? 

B420CACD-36BE-4FD6-9AA7-7A311C6D389C.jpeg

It’s much better than bottom shelf legacy distillery pours to me. Although I’ve only had multiple bottles of a single barrel. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangler

I've a Glencairn of Knob Creek 9 year old by my side, as I type this.

Quite yummy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
3 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

It’s much better than bottom shelf legacy distillery pours to me. Although I’ve only had multiple bottles of a single barrel. 

Somewhat agree CU, though I don’t consider EWB to be bottom shelf.  Maybe in price, but superior to most of those likely candidates.  

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dad-proof

I added a tiny splash of Pikesville to a healthy pour of ET BIB. Yum! Will definitely do this combination again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

 

What do they know that the others can’t figure out??? 

 

Larry Ebersold.

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
44 minutes ago, flahute said:

Larry Ebersold.

You beat me to the punch on that one, @flahute, but at any rate, that is straight truth and 200% correct. Amen brother! 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.