New Bourbon to look for....

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I could not help it, I had to put this topic under premium Bourbons. Found this in the Whiskey Advocate.... :P

A121249A-8790-497F-A6A9-D9A379705A35.thumb.png.777eb84ac20835fcb9c03577ee4ca007.png

Gosh, it's really a shame only Ohio can sell this ?. I'll have to hope Phil T buys a bottle and can share tasting notes.

• I like it 1

Gary, maybe he'll send you one of those special Christmas cards.

Cleveland Whiskey and the company's proprietary process - I think I'll pass. 

• I like it 1

What are the odds that this one sucks?  

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Now that's funny.....

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

.....If you have to ask....

2 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

.....If you have to ask....

Well, step up there and speak pilgrim.  

Just now, smokinjoe said:

Well, step up there and speak pilgrim.  

I can only guess how high such odds might go... but, if cornered, my guess would be very long odds against it being much to write home about.   

But....Hey!  One never knows, I suppose... unless one decides to pull out one's wallet and take the risk, and defy those likely very long odds.   

I think, for the time being, I'll keep mine in the pocket where it stays and await further motivation.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

29 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I can only guess how high such odds might go... but, if cornered, my guess would be very long odds against it being much to write home about.   

But....Hey!  One never knows, I suppose... unless one decides to pull out one's wallet and take the risk, and defy those likely very long odds.   

I think, for the time being, I'll keep mine in the pocket where it stays and await further motivation.

This could be the conversation for the Jepson's Bourbon I bought a few weeks ago. Yes, that Jepson's, makers of the infamous Malort. BTW....it's halfway decent, probably because they blended MGP bourbon and some TN whiskey for their finished product.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

About 1,001%

Looks like I'll brave corona and take trip to ohio.  anyone else want me to pick up a bottle for you while I'm there?  

I would like to try their black cherry wood, I just don't want to have to buy it.

Grab some Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini bourbon while your here too!  Yes that exits too, along with one or two other fighters.   LOL

The 1001% is still low - BTW

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Grab some Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini bourbon while your here too!  Yes that exits too, along with one or two other fighters.   LOL

The 1001% is still low - BTW

I was trying to be nice.

It is SO BAD - that if this was your first drink of alcohol, you would NEVER try another.

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

It is SO BAD - that if this was your first drink of alcohol, you would NEVER try another.

Great, and I assume accurate appraisal. ?

It so reminds me of Vosgar’s warning about the first batch of Cody Road bourbon years ago. “Avoid it like the plague.” 

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I seem to recall the proprietary process is wood chips in a pressure cooker.

It sounds like it's some underground drug lab.

I guess they make it to sell, not to drink.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've read about this company's whiskey,  and even saw a bottle once on a shelf.    But has anyone here actually tasted it?     

I am sad to report, yes I have tried it.   I was gifted a bottle at Christmas from someone who knew that I loved sports and whiskey.   It's the thought that counts, but the bottle met the drain after one glass.   

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I've read about this company's whiskey,  and even saw a bottle once on a shelf.    But has anyone here actually tasted it?     

Concept not bad, execution a bit tart

17 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I am sad to report, yes I have tried it.   I was gifted a bottle at Christmas from someone who knew that I loved sports and whiskey.   It's the thought that counts, but the bottle met the drain after one glass.   

I'd try it in a bar if I ever saw it just to saisfy my curiosity.    The process they use (age for six month,  them pressure treat it with oak staves until "done")  strikes me as something that "could" work,  but like a lot of inventions,  is a solution in search  of a problem.  

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I'd try it in a bar if I ever saw it just to saisfy my curiosity.    The process they use (age for six month,  them pressure treat it with oak staves until "done")  strikes me as something that "could" work,  but like a lot of inventions,  is a solution in search  of a problem.  

While I can certainly understand your take on the 'hurry-up' process, I can at least see why they do it... To skew the time line for mature bourbon in their bank account's favor.     The results are open to interpretation.

As always the proof is in the (bottled) pudding (Bourbon).

• I like it 3

Their is nothing that can replace "bourbon juice" just sitting in a barrel for 9 to 18 years. It just takes time....

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Their is nothing that can replace "bourbon juice" just sitting in a barrel for 9 to 18 years. It just takes time....

Can't disagree with that, though most of my experiences at or near 18-years indicates to me that it's usually about 5-years too long.... though I have absolutely had a few of very old vintages that screamed; "EXCEPTION TO THAT RULE".    Most of the really old ones I've tried (over 12-years or so) have been at or over the line of oakiness I kinda draw for enjoyment.   

One exception of recent issue comes to mind.   That was the Old Fitz, BIB 15-year.   That is (was) exceptional whiskey!

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Can't disagree with that, though most of my experiences at or near 18-years indicates to me that it's usually about 5-years too long.... though I have absolutely had a few of very old vintages that screamed; "EXCEPTION TO THAT RULE".    Most of the really old ones I've tried (over 12-years or so) have been at or over the line of oakiness I kinda draw for enjoyment.   

One exception of recent issue comes to mind.   That was the Old Fitz, BIB 15-year.   That is (was) exceptional whiskey!

Indeed it is! Although as a “wheater” I find that kind of mashbill tends to handle age a little better. Exceptions abound of course!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.