Help me pick my first Rye whisky.

Wrangler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As someone that always preferred Wheaters and did not like ryes, I have a bottle of Whistelpig farmhouse rye that has convinced me that I was wrong about ryes.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

As someone that always preferred Wheaters and did not like ryes, I have a bottle of Whistelpig farmhouse rye that has convinced me that I was wrong about ryes.

The rye rabbit hole is a LOT of fun! 

• I like it 1

Speaking of rye...is there a better readily available ‘Ky style’ rye, than Pikesville?

Asking for a friend.?

• I like it 4

11 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Speaking of rye...is there a better readily available ‘Ky style’ rye, than Pikesville?

Asking for a friend.?

No.

• I like it 5

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

No.

^^^^ Ditto.  

46 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Asking for a friend.?

34 minutes ago, flahute said:

No.

Generally agree, but...

WT 101 rye?

just sayin...

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Generally agree, but...

WT 101 rye?

just sayin...

Well, "is there a better readily available" around here means Pikesville gets the nod as WT 101 Rye is spotty (edit - downright RARE) in stores while Pikesville 110 and its Housemate, Ritt 100 appear regularly.  The WT 81 Rye, however, is everywhere.  Someday I have to try it . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC
to clarify a late night comment
  • I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Well, "is there a better readily available" around here means Pikesville gets the nod as WT 101 Rye is spotty (edit - downright RARE) in stores while Pikesville 110 and its Housemate, Ritt 100 appear regularly.  The WT 81 Rye, however, is everywhere.  Someday I have to try it . . .

WT101 rye sits on shelves here for $35 ish/ liter...

2 minutes ago, 0895 said:

DANG!!  It appears here only in two or three bottle groups and is gone within days.  $45 a liter is, however, the price we usually see.

58 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Generally agree, but...

WT 101 rye?

just sayin...

Not everyone can get that including me. Otherwise it's on the short list!

• I like it 1

On 8/7/2020 at 10:03 PM, 0895 said:

WT 101 rye?

just sayin...

On 8/7/2020 at 10:26 PM, 0895 said:

On 8/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, flahute said:

Not everyone can get that including me. Otherwise it's on the short list!

Maybe you could just grab an 81 proof WT Rye instead. That’s what I accidentally did when I bought what I thought was a 101 rye for Galvin0791. Mike, Vosgar and I had a few laughs over that little faux pas.  :lol:

Biba! Joe 

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Pikesville > WT101

I respect your opinions, I'm a few drinks in, so...

Screenshot_20200807-233628_Samsung Internet.jpg

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I respect your opinions, I'm a few drinks in, so...

Screenshot_20200807-233628_Samsung Internet.jpg

Haha.  Well played.  I do love the 101 rye too.  But that Pikesville...

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Pikesville > WT101

WT101 rye ~ Pikesville rye

?

I like them both a lot honestly.

• I like it 1

I like Pikesville over WT101 but the price on the WT is definitely better. For budget pour the Old Fo rye is good but a bit unique in profile which some people don't like. 

I've only seen one mention of Baby Saz. I think it makes the best Sazerac cocktails. I did some pretty extensive "research" to come to that conclusion. It has a floral quality that I like.

I’m another who is in a location where WT101R is generally available, and I can get it for $30+ tax/liter. To me it is clearly the best value in the rye world. Pikesville is a nice pour but rarely worth paying 50% more and getting 25% less whiskey, to me. 

I’m currently looking forward to trying the Rare Breed rye as well, which I haven’t seen yet here.

Had I seen this on the day I'd have suggested Pikesville first, Old Forester second, and CEHT Rye 3rd.

The price has crept up on CEHT, which I believe has caused many people to forget about it, which is fair. But it's still very good, and it hasn't been mentioned thus far...

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Had I seen this on the day I'd have suggested Pikesville first, Old Forester second, and CEHT Rye 3rd.

The price has crept up on CEHT, which I believe has caused many people to forget about it, which is fair. But it's still very good, and it hasn't been mentioned thus far...

You mean you prefer Bud Light, to Budweiser??

Give me some barrel proof JEP!?

Edited by Paddy
  • I like it 1

On 8/13/2020 at 3:15 PM, The Black Tot said:

CEHT rye was pretty good but not $70 msrp good IMO.  A couple of years ago, I bought a bottle to try but won't buy another.  Should be $40-$50, like Pikesville or their own SmB bourbon.   

• I like it 1

I usually try different bottles, and enjoy the experimentation of trying something new.  Recently, I finished two bottles of KC rye back to back.  That's weird for me but enjoyed them both. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.